When NYC Was Music City

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Will Hermes, a senior critic for Rolling Stone, contributor to "All Things Considered" and author of Love Goes to Buildings on Fire: Five Years in New York That Changed Music Forever, tells the story of New York and its music scene in the 1970s, from folk and hip-hop to salsa, jazz and classical.

Listen to our NYC 1973-1977 Mix! Staff picks and listener suggestions. Want to add a track? Suggest it to us on twitter @brianlehrer with the tag #lovegoes

»» Event: Will Hermes reads at powerHouse Arena, 37 Main St., Brooklyn Tonight at 7

Will Hermes

Patricia Spears Jones

David Murray's "Flowers for Albert"
World Saxophone Quartet started downtown
"Le Freak" by Chic
Patti Smith "Wild Horses"
remember The Tin Palace was across the street from CBGB's

Nov. 17 2011 11:57 AM
Anike from Harlem

Native New Yorker by Odyessy was aspirational for a 7 year old girl who was growing up in the rural south who dreamed of herself waking down the middle of 7th Avenue in a long flowing Halston dress with that song as her own personal soundtrack. I'm now in my 40's living in Harlem. Also big Bootsy, George Clinton, Parliment fan!

Nov. 17 2011 11:57 AM
b.George from NYC

Will - do your homework- King Time III (Personality Jock) by Fatback Band, Spring Records, first recorded rap, a few months before Sugarhill stuff... B. George, ARChive of Contemporary Music

Nov. 17 2011 11:57 AM
Hicoachrich from Murray Hill

The biggest loss from the early seventies was the loss of WRVR...going to night school I always studied to this wonderful station and then tuned to WNEW when I wanted to connect to rock---btw disco has not been rehabilitated in my world...8>}

Nov. 17 2011 11:55 AM
Andrea from Philadelphia (but a native New Yorker )

Blondie's first album
Patti Smith's Horses, especially "Gloria"
"Shattered" by the Stones--although they weren't a NY band, this was a New York song
And when speaking of Fania, Willie Colon, etc., don't forget Ruben Blades whose collaborations with Willie Colon were ground-breaking

Nov. 17 2011 11:55 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Coming up in Brooklyn in the '50s and '60s, my formative years were based in the simple "Duop" or doo wop period, and to me personally, music ended for me in 1976 at age 30. I don't know the name of any group, nor can tolerate pretty much anything that came after 1976. BUt to me, the "Golden Age" was the Rock n' Roll and Doo Wop period from '54 to '64 until the advent of the Beatles and all that transpired afterwards. When I am down and blue, only Doo Wop picks me up and makes me feel alive and young again. Some disco too. I like lively "get up and dance" type music to feel alive.

Nov. 17 2011 11:54 AM
oscar from ny

I hate the tone of the bious media and so called corporate owners nd politicians, they have hostaged our city, they treat the people wuth ni dignity and make us wonder what city are we living in?..these undertakers talents are only greed, lies, usuary, and thiefiery they are the agencys if satan abd their motto is change to their macabre perspective, our leaders work for them, their ligic dosnt waiver fron ignorance and capricious greed.
People of ny olease lets take back our city lets learn from asoiring countrys like israel that we can have fortitude to occupy what was ince ours, dont make them seperate us, or fight against each other, for they are enjoyung tge fruits of our gard labor and our attention, lets fight until we the people live a life of liberty, peace, and equality.

Nov. 17 2011 11:53 AM
Ben from NYC

Steely Dan - Bad Sneakers

Always makes me think of home when I'm away.

Nov. 17 2011 11:51 AM
DK in BK

The New York Dolls! M' Fer's!

Nov. 17 2011 11:48 AM
David from Manhattan

Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians (1974-1976)

Nov. 17 2011 11:47 AM
Nick Raynolds from Asheville, NC

God there was so much wasnt there? To me the punk scene was the most important - Ramones and Cramps

Nov. 17 2011 11:47 AM
Frank

Eddie Palmieri

Nov. 17 2011 11:28 AM
Frank from UWS

Fania All Stars (Individually and collectively)
Gil Scott Heron

Nov. 17 2011 11:23 AM
carolita from nyc

Billy Joel's "Movin' Out" changed my life in the 70's. Gotta have that. A line like, "Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?" made me rethink all my priorities and plan a different future for me than my parents had in mind.

Nov. 17 2011 11:13 AM
Fred Hunter

Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers – "Pablo Picasso" – recorded in 1972 (!), released four years later.

Nov. 17 2011 11:07 AM
Robert from Manhattan

Suffragette City & Rebel Rebel !

Bowie

Nov. 17 2011 11:03 AM
Peter from Crown Heights

I'll vote for the quiet revolution;

Television - See No Evil

Nov. 17 2011 10:41 AM
Mr. Boogaloo

A NY artist that often gets lost in the mix is Elliott Murphy. His "Aquashow" album of 1973 is one of the great lost gems of NYC rock'n'roll. His song "Last of the Rock Stars" should be in your mix. If this book mentions Murphy, I will go out and buy it. If it does not, then the author did not do his homework.

Nov. 17 2011 10:39 AM
Michael Roberts from Inwood, NYC

One of my favorite songs of all time from the 1970s - I think 1973/74 - was The Temptations - Ball of Confusion. Unfortunately, the song's lyrics are still very relevant in today's dangerous and sad world.

Nov. 17 2011 10:38 AM
Amy

Television Marquee Moon
One of the most amazing albums to put on headphones and walk around the city

Nov. 17 2011 10:36 AM
Stuart Cohn

Music:
The Dictators Go Girl Crazy! (1975)
Television Little Johnny Jewel (1975)
Talking Heads Love Goes to Bldg. on Fire (1977)

Nov. 17 2011 10:36 AM