Director John Landis on His Movies and Movie Monsters

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Director John Landis discusses his career as a filmmaker, making such films as Animal House, The Blues Brothers, Coming to America, Trading Places, Three Amigos, An American Werewolf in London, and Into the Night. He’s the author of Monsters in the Movies, about the greatest monsters ever to creep, fly, slither, stalk, or rampage across the screen. And BAMcinématek is presenting See You Next Wednesday: 8 Films by John Landis.

John Landis
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Noelle from CT

Fun to meet you by chance at Muji John Landis... I listen to so much of WNYC it is my companion while driving. I love WNYC and NPR so many wonderful programs and interviews... now w. the internet I know I can listen no matter where I might live one day... perhaps Paris... M. Landis you've had a quite a career... M. Lopate... a very enjoyable program though, I'm not so familiar w. so many of the movies mentioned. It would be nice to see Persians in a movie just as a regular people they are and not stereotypically rich or a evil person... so cliche... the one cliche that is true is their appreciation for higher education and very Parisian in the way that they can be chic and intelligent at the same time...

Nov. 16 2011 11:42 PM
Carlen Arnett

This is a true artist, talking about making a kind of art that seems no longer to reach the general public. I'll be interested to see the book, and am sharing a link to this interview with the many writers I know. Thank you.

Nov. 16 2011 07:50 PM
Pete from nyc

Um maybe the helicopter crash was an accident, but why did he and steven spielberg think it was reasonable to have two young kids along w. Mr Morrow, standing under a 2-ton aircraft...he is very knowledgeable about movies but definitely not an insecure guy...I guess you need jack-asses like that to make good movies (I love coming to america)

Nov. 16 2011 01:56 PM
Campfreddie from NYC

I thought he was pretty cool on the air, very knowledgeableabout the film biz and did not know about the 'Kelly's Hero's' connection but I will dig down deeper about the Vic Morrow thing!

Nov. 16 2011 01:44 PM
khadija from brooklyn

Talk about discretion. OOPS, he just pissed off, GRANDLY, the Iranian Diaspora. & .... Oh, I'll just shut up....

Nov. 16 2011 12:44 PM
Kent

Although I am finding Landis to be a bit rude, the helicopter accident was just that. I am glad he did not go into it.

Nov. 16 2011 12:33 PM
zach from west palm beach

He fluffs off talking about his involvement in Vic Morrow's death on his set. HE WAS THE DIRECTOR. He chuckles at many of his owns comments. He's a jerk.

Nov. 16 2011 12:29 PM
john from office

Animal House is a great movie that holds up to this day.

TOGA TOGA TOGA

Nov. 16 2011 12:25 PM
khadija from brooklyn

And, there is no desert in Almeria, Espana. There is an arid high plateau called La Mancha en Iberia; Lawrence of Arabia was filmed in MOROCCO! Spaghetti Westerns and nary a word about Clint Eastwood? the Cinecitta Studios? OOPS!

Nov. 16 2011 12:23 PM
Pete from nyc

I recently saw Trading Places for the first time , and while there were many funny moments they all seemed at the expense of Eddie Murphy's character being an ignorant black man meeting high society("what's a jacuzzi"). The movie was simultaneous sanctimonious about race and class, but also extremely callous.

Nov. 16 2011 12:17 PM
Tom from Manhattan

In this happy conversation about John Landis' career. Perhaps you might raise the extraordinary risks he took in the filming of Twilight Zone, leading to the helicopter accident that decapitated Vic Morrow and killed two Vietnamese children.

Nov. 16 2011 12:16 PM
zach from west palm beach

Please ask him to talk about Vic Morrow.

Nov. 16 2011 12:08 PM
Betty Ann from UES

Can you ask John Landis about his upcoming movie version of "Batboy the Musical"?

Nov. 16 2011 12:08 PM