Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nathan Myhrvold discusses his massive six-volume, 2,400-page set of books outlining science-inspired techniques for preparing food. Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking, written with Chris Young and Maxime Bilet and a 20-person team at The Cooking Lab, outlines how to use tools such as water baths, homogenizers, centrifuges, and ingredients such as hydrocolloids, emulsifiers, and enzymes. It is a collection and a project that attempts to reinvent cooking.

Nathan Myhrvold
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

NJ Cher from West Orange, NJ

I was impressed that he wanted to do this enough that he financed it himself. I am exposed to some sophisticated cooking techniques and I heard about many new things that I'd not heard of before.

Nov. 15 2011 05:07 PM
Rev K L J Depue

The topic was interesting . . . but I must admit, it was challenging to listen to Mr. Myhrvold -- he sounded like a ringer for Mo Rocca doing a comedy bit!

Nov. 15 2011 01:33 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Interesting. Fascinating. The guy is mad!

Nov. 15 2011 01:26 PM
Fred

Enough already! All this endless obsession with food. Who cares?

Nov. 15 2011 01:25 PM
Peter from Park Slope

I'm a sucker for kitchen science, and always enjoy Mr. Myhrvold's comments, but as valuable as they are, I wish he would pronounce the word "culinary" correctly ["kyu-lin-erry].

Nov. 15 2011 01:24 PM
Amy from Manhattan

And it wasn't just the team at the Lab! I'm 1 of I don't even know how many freelance copyeditors/proofreaders who worked on the book, sometimes broken into not just whole chapters but sections of chapters. It was a very interesting experience, & I learned a lot--I hadn't ever heard of sous vide before that project.

Nov. 15 2011 01:24 PM