Harvey Araton on the Golden Age of the New York Knicks

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Harvey Araton talks about When the Garden Was Eden, the definitive account of how the New York Knickerbockers won their first and only championships, and in the process provided the nation escape from the Vietnam War, the tragedy at Kent State, and the last vestiges of Jim Crow. Araton not only traces the history of New York’s beloved franchise—from Ned Irish to Spike Lee to Carmelo Anthony—but profiles the lives and careers of one of sports’ all-time great teams, the Old Knicks.

Harvey Araton
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

I enjoyed the broadcast: it brought back memories of a time when the Knicks were worth rooting for. Not enough time or credit to Dave DeBuschere (sp) who came from Detroit and brought a new spark, energy and cohesion to the Knicks. Certainly, Clyde, $Bill and Willis were magnificent.

Nov. 16 2011 04:09 PM
steve from Brooklyn

I am Pratt alumni and met Willis on campus back in the day as he was invited to view a photograph exhibit of the photographs of Knick basketball in the garden taken by other Pratt alumni. Willis was still limping when I saw him, do you know if that hip injury caused him his career

Nov. 15 2011 12:40 PM
barent

there are, no free TV, local knick games anymore. as expensive as knicks tkts are,how can every day people, even give a damn at this point?

Nov. 15 2011 12:39 PM
Steven from Queens

Thanks for writing this book. My father was a big Knick fan and took me to almost every home game back in the 70s. Back then he did not make good money. We even got tickets for playoff. Last year I was making over 100K/year and was not able afford Knick tickets. That was smart basketball.
"Hit the open man"

Nov. 15 2011 12:25 PM
Bill

Great teram..great book...great writer...a must-read for any Knick fan from that era

Nov. 15 2011 12:11 PM
antonio from bayside

During the last lockout, I heard a rumor that the Knicks had a deal to trade Latrell Sprewell for Scottie Pippen...Is that true?

I ask, because Pippen was such a multi-dimensional unselfish player (assists, rebounds, steals & points) in the mold of the Red Holzmon Knicks.

And why does it seem that sensibility has eluded the Knicks since Holzmon...?
With the exception of the preCarmelo team...I really felt they had a great chemistry and where fun to watch....

Nov. 15 2011 11:54 AM