Mario Batali's Family Meals

Monday, November 14, 2011

Mario Batali shares his favorite seasonal recipes and the joys of sharing meals with friends and family. His latest cookbook, Molto Batali: Simple Family Meals from My Home to Yours, includes recipes from summer salads to hearty winter braises—all easy to prepare and made with simple ingredients. He’s put together month-by-month menus perfect for celebrating at home.

Mario Batali

I regret that Mario has kowtowed to the Amandas from CT and others that pay for his cuisine in retracting his comments comparing Wall Street to the worst totalitarian mass murderers in history. As you can see from their comments, the retraction and apology are unacceptable. How dare Mario condemn unfeeling petty bureacrats that live by causing starvation in order to garner a higher year end bonus through marketing fraudulent derivatives that they didn't understand to other greedy bankers and investors and get taxpayers to mortgage their children to prevent a credit freeze. This kind of anonymous villainy is just good clean capitalist fun and in no way comparable to the predations of any other previous tricksters, shysters and bullies. We are gratified that Hizzoner Bloomberg has hired Pinkertons in green suits to return Wall Street to its accustomed laissez mourir conspicuous consumption. We need to go shopping to create employment. I wonder what they were wearing at Homestead, PA?

Nov. 16 2011 01:50 PM
khadija from brooklyn

Oh! also Mallow which I can't find, here in the North East (it is a wild plant, as is purslane). Same recipe as for purslane. I subsitute spinach for mallow. Love your shows, tremendously respect your elegance in conducting interviews. Most interviewees who may not be sincere, do not even realize they are being taken on a ride. Delicious. khadija. Thank you.

Nov. 15 2011 02:39 AM
khadija from brooklyn

It was so lovely that, a few years ago, at the Green Market in Fort Greene, I had not only discovered an edible plant I relished so much, in my native Morocco, but also learned the name: purslane. What joy! In our tradition, we rinse it abundantly (it's a succulent creeper); steam it; season it w/garlic, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper (optional); olive oil. Can be served hot or cold (as a salad), w/lemon wedges. TK U. k

Nov. 15 2011 12:48 AM
Tish from New York

Re: Mr. Batali's assessment of San Marzano canned tomatoes -- with all respect it is not simply the varietal but absolutely the soil it's grown in. Any farmer knows this.

The US-grown canned tomatoes that have been branded "San Marzano" with the clever packaging that has a pseudo-hand painted label are simply terrible. Watery. Tasteless. Small, round and pale. But a triumph of marketing.

A true San Marzano is velvety, deep red, with a rich intense flavor -- and all are grown in southern Italy in the rich volcanic soil. It's easy to tell the good tomatoes from the bad -- just buy a can of each and do a taste test. You'll find that Mr. Batali is mistaken. I also see these fake San Marzanos prominently displayed on various cooking TV shows, including Giada de Laurentiis's. Can't help but wonder if there's an endorsement deal between the Batali's of this world and the fake San Marzano producers. Just wondering.... Why else would he ever eat them?

Nov. 14 2011 05:26 PM
Urbangranolagirl from Jersey City

Mario, I have to take a moment to say thank you. For years my italian-american family would tell stories of picking Cardoons locally and frying them up and it was a favorite family recipe. I looked long and far and could never find anything about cardoons (of course, I was looking under "G", since that's how they pronounced it.). Until one day, I caught a rerun of a show of yours where you made fried cardoons!! You resolved the mystery of a vegetable I thought my relatives had made up, and it came full circle when they appeared one day in the prouduce section and I got a chance to make them myself. Thank you!

Nov. 14 2011 12:59 PM
Robert from NYC

Gee Leonard, you're questions are so studied. Relax man fresh vs dried pasta isn't a matter of superiority but of where it's from and what you're using with!

Nov. 14 2011 12:58 PM

In NYC at least, it is possible to find micro greens at many farmers markets. For the past several years I've had fresh greens all year round from these wonderful growers. And I've eaten mostly seasonal vegetables and fruits -- including many that I had never cooked before. The taste is so much better. Now that I've moved away, I have found micro green growers but in general there is much less variety at the local markets than up north which is a total surprise.

Nov. 14 2011 12:53 PM
Carol from nyc

Belch.. oh really? You think Mario's statements have anything to do with making lots of money? He was referring to those who knowingly bundle toxic assets and sell them to unsuspecting people, then bet against them.

Nov. 14 2011 12:50 PM
jm

I only just discovered using stinging nettle in pesto this past year. I'm counting the months until this green is in season again!

Nov. 14 2011 12:48 PM
Robert from NYC

My family is italian and we grew up having at least two meals a week that were vegetables only or with the tiniest amount of meat, e.g., what WE called minestra consisting of escarole sauteed first in olive oil and garlic with beans then add water, white beans and small pieces of prosciutto, mmmmmmm. Makes a good broth if cooked to decimation.

Nov. 14 2011 12:43 PM
Tom P from Fanwood, NJ

It looks like Leonard is going to let him slide on his Hitler/Stalin comment.

Very disapointing.

Nov. 14 2011 12:42 PM
W.L.Towery

Before the "love fest" begins, Batali needs to address his disgraceful behavior/comments.

Nov. 14 2011 12:41 PM
Dana

While I appreciate Mario's cooking and recipes, he has become a businessman over the years building his empire. I found his recent comments against bankers disingenious and hypocritical, and despite his apology, I think it reveals a disconnect, in his mind, with what he now represents.

Firstly, the bankers with expense accounts are the primary patrons of his expensive restaurants, and he is very happy to accept them. Secondly, Mario is a manipulative businessman, no different from other businessmen, regardless of industry. Profit comes first, and he will manipulate the system, often against the little guy (i.e. workers) to ensure profit. (See recent wage related lawsuits against him and his partners.)

I am not faulting him for shrewdly pursuing profits, but I cannot stand when he takes such adamant positions pretending to support equity, fairness, ethical business practices, etc but does not practice them himself.

Nov. 14 2011 12:32 PM
Amanda from Connecticut

I think it's ironic that Mario Batali recently compared folks who work on Wall Street to Stalin and Hitler, when Batali himself is not only in the 1%, but he also epitomizes capitalism as an example of an individual who has made hundreds of millions of dollars off of his restaurants, cookbooks, grocery stores, etc. As a person who has a husband who works on Wall Street and is a huge fan of Batali's food (in fact we went to Tarry Lodge in Westport TWICE last weekend), we will no longer be dining at any of his establishments. Batali lives in a glass house and should not throw stones.

Nov. 14 2011 12:28 PM