George McGovern (D)

Friday, November 11, 2011

George McGovern, former U.S. Senator and presidential candidate, and author of What It Means to Be a Democrat, makes his case for the Democratic Party to stick to its core principals.

George McGovern

Stephen Patrick from CT

The Democratic Party in 7 words:
>Economics As If People Mattered<

Worked for the McGovern campaign in '72, fresh from vietnam. Old CT milltown, dem regulars voting for Nixon and against themselves; veterans voting against a combat flyer; people commonly rearranging their prejudices and calling it thinking.
In vietnam, our local interpreter--we called him "Frank"--startled me by speaking of McGovern. Coming home, I came to more and more admire George and was dismayed at his defeat in '72. Years later, briefly owning a CT hotel, he sponsored political programs, the most memorable a December one when John Kenneth Galbraith was speaking.
A reservist now in Class-A uniform from an armory christmas party, I stole a chance to tell George how proud I was to be a hard-core supporter. I still am and still find him a very great man indeed.

Nov. 16 2011 03:38 PM
Joe from Queens

@Robert from NYC - you totally, completely, and utterly missed my point. Listen to what I said again, please.

I am saying there is a legitimate argument between the positions, and to demonize the other position, or say otherwise, is dishonest in itself and thwarts the idea of having a democratic system where ideas are discussed and voted on.

And seeing your posts, I take it you don't care for discussion. You're just right. But, to paraphrase yourself, you aren't right "just because you say it."

As I see it, you are part of the problem I called in about.

Nov. 14 2011 11:45 AM
Eddie G. from Queens, NY

I grew up in New York and am now sixty-seven years old.
I only voted once, and that was for George McGovern, in 1972; not because I particularly liked him. but because I knew the Viet Nam war was bulls--t, and I knew Nixon was the assh--e he proved himself to be!
Everything has come full cycle.
We are back to a similar place, wherein nitwits are gaining in the public's approval (which is why I never voted).
I have gravitated to writing comedy (You'd never know it, would you?)
Here is a demonstration:
'Horse walks into a bar. What does the bartender say?'
Give up?
Batrender says, "Hey, why the long face?"
LONG FACE! Get it? Ah, ha ha ha ha ha ha !
God help us all.
Eddie G.

Nov. 11 2011 02:41 PM
mimel

Being a democrat means assuming the best of the human race.

Nov. 11 2011 01:25 PM
phil from nyc

A practical problem for liberals - how do we deal with Blue Dog Democrats. Shall we contribute money towards their election? Are we better off having a conservtive Democrat in office or hold out for more ideological purity? Does an outspoken liberal hav any chance in a Red state?

Nov. 11 2011 12:07 PM
Marc from Manhattan L.E.S.

As usual I was at the gym and thus unable to comment during the show. Stil in the hope that someone will see it I offer this this verse written by Phil Ochs in the early 60's expressing his vision of a Liberal America:

We're only as rich as the poorest of the poor
Only as free as a padlocked prison door
Only as strong as our love for this land
Only as tall as we stand

Nov. 11 2011 12:03 PM
Ed from New Jersey

The national debt has risen under every president from 1981 to present with ever increasing spending from both parties in control of congress and as the president.

Nov. 11 2011 12:02 PM
Rita Bradley from Queens

Motto for Democratic Party (7 words):
"Allegience to Truth, Justice and Social Responsibility"

Nov. 11 2011 11:55 AM
Claudia from Queens

I really enjoyed listening to Senator McGovern on your show earlier. I was a kid, when he was running for president, but it was my first moment of political awareness, b/c of the intensity of the time. Anyway, I wanted to post a link to one of my favorite art objects - a portrait of Nixon by Warhol w/the words "Vote McGovern" beneath the grinning and brightly colored (artificial) image of Tricky Dick. http://img.artknowledgenews.com/files2008a/warhol2_vote.jpg

Nov. 11 2011 11:51 AM
Em

Back in 1960 there was a great British sketch review called "Beyond the Fringe" there was a great sketch where Alan Bennett was explaining to Jonathan Miller the difference between the Republicans and the Democrats: "The Republican Party is like our Conservative Party, and The Democratic Party... is like our Conservative Party." Still as true today as ever.

Nov. 11 2011 11:47 AM
BigGuy

McGovern is on the show on Veteran's Day.

His war record is exemplary. He was true hero, not losing a man in 35 bombing runs over Germany.

He never mentioned his war record when running against Nixon. The real heroes didn't come home; that's why.

You can read all about it:

Nov. 11 2011 11:45 AM
Patrice

To be a Democrat-To embody the best of American Principles

Nov. 11 2011 11:43 AM
beatrice crane-baker from connecticut

social conscience defines a democrat

Nov. 11 2011 11:43 AM
Robert from NYC

Re-tracking a previous posting let me restate and be trendy, phooey on progressives. If the NYT, that most revered rag can use the word then I shall pick up on it.

Nov. 11 2011 11:43 AM
Patrick Langhenry from brooklyn

great reminder on REagan's debt, and it is important to highlight that the Democrats supported the war spending, and continued to do so. We need a third party and stop blaming Ralph Nader for our woes. He was right.

Nov. 11 2011 11:42 AM
Erika from Brooklyn

Unfortunately the Democratic Party is not a cohesive unit or an organized party in any way. In our two party system there are really only Republicans and Anti-Republicans.

Nov. 11 2011 11:42 AM
Harry Wyatt from New York City

I still remember the distress I suffered in about 1974, when I found that my stepson had uncharacteristically cleaned our car, and removed the McGovern bumper sticker in the process.

Nov. 11 2011 11:41 AM
Mary Beth Goff from South Orange. NJ

I worked for The Senators presidential run in '72 while in8th grade. My son worked for Sen Clinton's run while in the 10th grade. Thank you for years of service .. McGovern for president now!

Nov. 11 2011 11:41 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Aha! That's the difference: the Republicans keep a strong hand *on* the people to represse them & the Democrats extend a strong hand *to* the people to help them. (Yes, that's oversimplified, but I think there's something to it.)

BTW, in 1972, Maryland lowered the voting age just in time for me to cast my 1st vote, for George McGovern.

Nov. 11 2011 11:40 AM
Robert from NYC

You're wrong Joe, that's all there is to it. But they don't create jobs, they don't do what the claim they want to do. It doesn't happen just because you say it. They say it and think it happens. What in the end have the Rs done for the more needy?

Nov. 11 2011 11:39 AM
Alan from Manhattan

Hi Brian - You must have a "what is a republican" broadcast to bookend this segment

Nov. 11 2011 11:39 AM
J Auer from Manhattan, NY

"Delivering on the Promise of America to all Americans"

Nov. 11 2011 11:39 AM

Caller re GOP vs Dems. You haven't been paying attention over the last 30 years.

Nov. 11 2011 11:38 AM
Robert from NYC

Roosevelt was the best president of the century PERIOD
And yes. Liberals are the best!!!! Screw progressives (more or less).

Nov. 11 2011 11:37 AM
Bob from Manhattan

How about: Coercive Compassion?

Nov. 11 2011 11:34 AM
Fiorella Corso

I fully second George McGovern's motion to send any legislator who wants to vote to take us into a War, be drafted and used as a mine sweeper!! Bravo!!

Nov. 11 2011 11:34 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

The Democrats solved the Great Depression by ending unemployment, by eventually drafting 15 million Americans into the military, and sending millions of women to work in war factories! In the in-between years between WW1 and WWII we had one of the smallest armies in the world, and ended up having to build the biggest! And were lucky to have the protection of two oceans to give us the time to do that. Won't be that lucky the next time around.

Nov. 11 2011 11:34 AM
Rue

I campaigned for George McGovern in 1972 and still find him inspirational. I am so grateful that he is still lending his wise and compassionate voice to the current political conversation.

Nov. 11 2011 11:33 AM
Amy from Manhattan

On the regaining of money spent on wars: After the fall of the USSR & the end of the Gulf War, we were supposed to have a peace dividend, but the savings & loan crisis took much of that. This time around the financial crisis is happening before the end of the wars. Ending them will help, but it'll take a lot more to get the country on a better financial footing.

Nov. 11 2011 11:33 AM
Chris

Being a Democrat means trying (via the government) to make lives better. As a 14 year old, I worked for McGovern's campaign since my Dad was the Bucks Co. coordinator. It was frustrating that all my friends thought his work for McGovern meant my Dad must be 'cool' and he was definitely not!

Nov. 11 2011 11:32 AM
Danny from Washington Heights

Re: Seven Words (I'll try)
"Together we embody our proud sovereign nation."
or maybe the old cliche works better-
"One for all and all for one."

Nov. 11 2011 11:32 AM
erika munson from salt lake city

My seven words on being a democrat:

We Can Do More Together Than Alone

Nov. 11 2011 11:31 AM
xtalguy from Bridgewater, NJ

The Democratic Party in four words:

Government for the people.

Nov. 11 2011 11:30 AM
Juli from Skillman, NJ

The Democratic Party is the party that will progress our nation in a collective manner that rises the tide for all to sail on higher waters.

Nov. 11 2011 11:30 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

If the US withdraws from all of its treaty commitments and withdraws into "fortress America" as it did after WWI, then all the other countries will scrap the NPT and scramble to build nuclear armaments. Certainly South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, the Eastern European countries, Saudi Arabia, and many others will just go nuclear if the US simply decides to bury its head in the sand. Then we'll have nuclear war for certain as the number of nuclear armed states increases exponentially.

Nov. 11 2011 11:28 AM

nomi is spot on. Not all problems can be solved in seven words.

Nov. 11 2011 11:28 AM
Hal from Brooklyn

No American left behind.

Nov. 11 2011 11:28 AM

It's all well and good to have a wartime draft, but that doesn't help when we no longer declare wars.

Nov. 11 2011 11:25 AM
nomi silverman from CT

the idea of being a democrat is NOT to boil it down to 7 words. Aren't ideas more complex than that? And yes, I really wonder how the country would have been had McGovern won.
Thanks

Nov. 11 2011 11:24 AM
John A.

I believe the book that is absolutely missing today is "What It Meant to Be a Republican". Those boys are lost-lost-lost, if I may speak freely for a second.
(Now clicks on the McGovern Amazon link to change the subject)

Nov. 11 2011 11:24 AM
zach from west palm beach

George McGovern was my first vote in 1972 and I have been a Democrat ever since.

Nov. 11 2011 11:24 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

It's interesting to think how different this country would be had McGovern won

Nov. 11 2011 11:17 AM