Pilgrimage: Annie Leibovitz's America

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Legendary photographer Annie Leibovitz discusses her new book, Pilgrimage, and her journey through this country taking photographs of American pilgrimage sights, and takes your calls on your own pilgrimage list.

EVENT: Q & A, Slide Show, and Signing November 9, 7:00 PM at the Union Square Barnes & Noble (33 East 17th Street)

© Annie Leibovitz. From “Pilgrimage” (Random House, 2011)
Niagara Falls
© Annie Leibovitz. From “Pilgrimage” (Random House, 2011)
Emily Dickinson's only surviving dress
© Annie Leibovitz. From “Pilgrimage” (Random House, 2011)
Old props from Martha Graham's studio, are storied in a warehouse in Yonkers. The iron gates to the old studio lean against a back wall.
© Annie Leibovitz. From “Pilgrimage” (Random House, 2011)
Sigmund Freud's couch in his study at 20 Maresfield Gardens in London
© Annie Leibovitz. From “Pilgrimage” (Random House, 2011)
Ansel Adams moved to a house near the ocean in Carmel, California, in 1962. He worked in his state-of-the-art darkroom there during the last years of his life. The walls were painted black.

Annie Leibovitz

Ed from Larchmont

I've seen several of her portraits and they are exact, like of Demi Moore, but they are like bodies that are alive but aren't breathing, the pictures seem air-less. I wonder how she realized this effect.

Nov. 14 2011 06:14 AM
Katherine Walz from Doylestown, PA

Places and photographing them make my spirit sing: the Queen of Sheba's palace, Axum, Ethiopia; Zimbabwe Ruins; Victoria Falls; Khajuraho, Ajanta, Fatepur Sikri and the Taj Mahal in India; a very old mosque in Herat, Afghanistan- destroyed in the Russian war; the spacious plains of the Serengeti (my personal "eden"); Yosemite; Red Cloud's grave on the Pine Ridge Reservation; Westminster Abbey, and meeting humpback whales eye to eye... to name a few of hundreds. Annie, the power of communication in your art moves me. Thank you for being.

Nov. 09 2011 11:22 AM

Loved this show. It annoys me that I am so bad at taking photographs and have so many missed opportunities in my travels. I would have loved to have good photographs of all the little trains I traveled on in the Congo - and the river boats. By the way -- I adore her very powerful photo of the fashion model breastfeeding. So empowering.

Nov. 08 2011 05:09 PM
Lois from Riverwoods, IL

Pablo Neruda's home in Isla Negra, Chile

Nov. 08 2011 02:00 PM

Terrific Show!

Almost every time I travel I make at least one pilgrimage out of respect for my heroes.
Four of the most memorable visits:

MEXICO CITY - art & politics
Casa de Azúl (Frida Kahlo's house)
Leon Trotsky House

AMSTERDAM - re-membering the victims of Nazism
Jewish Quarter / Portugese Synagogue
Anne Frank House
Homomonument
War & History Museum (of the Resistance)

BARCELONA - re-membering the Spanish Republic
Montjuïc Castle (where Franco imprisoned &murdered so many)
El Fossar de la Pedrera (the Cemetery of the Quarry - where Franco dumped the bodies)
Cementiri de Montjuïc (graves of Durruti and other heros of the Republic)

LAKE PLACID, NY - honoring resistance to slavery
John Brown Farm & Gravesite

Nov. 08 2011 11:44 AM
Bill from Mamaroneck

Whoops! Lorraine Motel photos are mine, as well.

Nov. 08 2011 11:32 AM
Bill from Mamaroneck

Zucotti Park pix coming up, also.

Gimme a few minutes.

Nov. 08 2011 11:29 AM
Native NYer from NYC

In the late 90s I visited Houghton/Hancock in Northern Michigan - where my ancestors settled during the Civil War. Discovered buildings bearing my great great grandfathers name, the beauty of lake superior and the northern lights and one remaining living relative, a 100 year old great great aunt.

Nov. 08 2011 11:29 AM
L.C. Armstrong from Brooklyn Hts.

I visited Rosa Bonheur's studio in Thomery-By, (about an hour outside Paris.) There is an unfinished painting on her easel. Nothing has changed. I also visited Frieda Khalo's Casa Azul in Mexico City. Her wheelchair is in front of her easel was very poignant.

Nov. 08 2011 11:28 AM
Bill from Mamaroneck

Harpers Ferry pix coming up! Gimme a few minutes.

Nov. 08 2011 11:27 AM
Paula Beckenstein from Chappaqua

I visited Freud's home and consultation room in Vienna and it was the most amazing place to actually see. I had studied his work for so many years and it felt surreal to actually be there. Wow, there's the bed in Annie;'s Photograph!

The other most wonderful place I visited was Montmartre in Paris. It was another romantic dream from childhood fulfilled! I have since been to Paris eight times and never tire of the narrow streets and architecture.

Nov. 08 2011 11:27 AM
Melissa Soltis from Brooklyn

I would love to visit Donald Judd's foundation and related The Chinati Foundation in Marfa, TX. Also the Walter De Maria's Lighting Field in the right time of year would be magical. I also pray that James Turrell 's Roden Crater will be completed in my lifetime....and his.

Nov. 08 2011 11:25 AM
joseph goodrich from brooklyn, ny

I'd love to go to Noel Coward's house in Jamaica, which is available to rent for vactioners!

Nov. 08 2011 11:24 AM
Jeff from Austin, TX

The Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge in southwestern Arizona. It's permanent, stark beauty juxtaposed with the increasing immigrant/drug trafficking detritus, growing border fence, etc.

Nov. 08 2011 11:23 AM
Jeff from Austin, TX

Nov. 08 2011 11:23 AM
ddbk from bk

The Falls is my place too! Table Rock is to me the most incredible place on the face of the planet.

Nov. 08 2011 11:23 AM
Brian from Weehawken, NJ

I went to Charles Lindbergh's grave on the south side of Maui, Hawaii, past the end of the Road to Hana, to take a photo for my father. We had to get the directions from a local farm stand... worth it for the experience of the journey... a beautiful small church, cliff overlooking the Pacific - you really get a sense of the isolation he was seeking.

Nov. 08 2011 11:22 AM
Melissa from Brooklyn

Nov. 08 2011 11:22 AM
pete from uws

robert frost's grave in Bennington, Vermont

Nov. 08 2011 11:20 AM
Brian from Weehawken, NJ

Nov. 08 2011 11:20 AM
b from Mamaroneck

National Civil Rights Museum, Lorraine Motel, Memphis Tennessee

Nov. 08 2011 11:19 AM
Robert from NYC

As a lacemaker I'm trying to see if Dickinson's lace is hand or machine made. I'm sure if my eyesight was better I could tell. But the point is it is a lovely piece of work and photo.

Nov. 08 2011 11:17 AM
Bill from Mamaroneck

Graves of the victims of the 9/11/73 overthrow of Salvador Allende by the Nixon Administration, Cementario Generale, Santiago, Chile.

Nov. 08 2011 11:15 AM
SML from NYC

Thomas Cole? Frederick Church?

Nov. 08 2011 11:15 AM
maw from ny, ny

I hope to one day visit Nancy Holt's Sun Tunnels in Utah, along with various other land art located in the Southwest, but I'll have to get my driver's license first!

Nov. 08 2011 11:14 AM
The Truth from Becky

I would love to see a few of the Hawaiian Islands!

Nov. 08 2011 11:14 AM
Robert from NYC

I'm looking at a small still of the falls and feel exactly as she describes how her children felt standing there in person. Great photo. Would love to have a large version in my living room.

Nov. 08 2011 11:13 AM
John A.

I welcome Ms. Leibovitz efforts to find the common touch, after years celebrating America's 'Celebrity 1%'.
I have vague memories of visiting what may have been 'The Cyclorama of Jerusalem' at Ste. Anne de Beaupré, Quebec. At this point I wonder who have just gone to Jerusalem itself?

Nov. 08 2011 10:48 AM
Ed from Larchmont

Why do Annie Liebovitz' great photos seem so empty at times?

Nov. 08 2011 08:56 AM
Ed from Larchmont

The greatest pilgrimage site in the US for Catholics is the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington. Then there is the shrine to the martyrs who worked with the Indians in northern New York State. Also there is the monastery and shrine in Birmingham, Alabama, where EWTN broadcasts from, and many others, many in New York City.

Nov. 08 2011 08:09 AM