Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipe Swap, with Melissa Clark

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Melissa Clark, New York Times Dining Section columnist and bestselling cookbook author, chooses her favorite recipes from listener submissions! We'll speak with them about their recipes for Thanksgiving side dishes. Melissa Clark also shares recipes from her new cookbook, Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make. It includes stories of feeding her own family and friends, and is filled with recipes for dishes that will become your go-to meals on busy days—roasts, salads, desserts, and more.

See all the recipes submitted to our Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipe Swap.

Leslie Wile from Weston, CT

We're just skipping Thanksgiving this year. What a relief! We were supposed to drive to my married son's in Balitmore, but decided instead to enjoy the last days of my ailing cat, Siddhartha. Also, it's supposed to pour tomorrow (was to be our travel day). Lastly,
many of the extended family are vegetarians, if not vegans, and they all plan to eat out!! As an inveterate cook (with a 1500 volume cookbook collection), I can't tell you how this decision has unburdened me. If I'm feeling sprightly on Thanksgiving morning, perhaps I'll bake my special pumpkin pie (I generally set aside a pie crust making day, and have 6 or 8 disks of crust in the freezer). It's made with eggnog and brandy, and it has been called "the best." Then, we'll just eat pie all day and watch old movies. I feel like a turkey who's just been pardoned. What a release! What freedom!!!

Nov. 22 2011 06:57 PM
niv mani from Hillsborough, NJ

Loved hearing about the pumpkin 'kootu' on your show.. Its such a comfort food that's made practically everyday in South Indian homes!

Nov. 22 2011 04:08 PM
jawbone from Parsippany

I'm sorry to be the skunk at the garden party -- or food worrywart at the Thanksgiving feast, BUT....

About using so much salt on a turkey: How much does it add to the normal sodium content of a turkey? Is all that sodium absorbed by the bird's flesh? Or does it mostly get into the juices used for gravy?

I have to watch my salt intake and I don't know how to measure the effect of the dry rub. Which, by the way, is the way my mother used to season her turkeys: Dry poultry seasoning herbs, salt and pepper to taste, dabs of butter. She didn't leave it overnight, but it did season a bit while she was was preparing the dough for the fresh rolls and making the pies. With only one oven, she had to have a pretty precise schedule. (I do not know how she did it all!!)

And, as a possible topic for a future foods we eat show, I've been finding it difficult to find turkeys which aren't pre-salted, loaded with sodium, in the local grocery stores out here in NJ. It seems the big poultry producers are now adding salt to almost every part and whole birds sold, chickens and turkeys. Especially the ones which go on sale. Usually the poultry labeled "organic," at three times the usual price, don't have added salt.

And yet, I recall news reports that food manufacturers were going to gradually lessen the amount of salt added to their products. Somehow, I've noticed, such announcements seldom actually result in lesser amounts of sodium in the foods on offer.

Grrrrr.

Nov. 22 2011 01:17 PM
jawbone from Parsippany

I really must try the high heat roasted brussels sprouts, but I usually boil them (in about one half inch to one inch of water, depending on how many are in the pot) until just tender, then serve with lemon wedges and sour cream (for me, fat free sour cream).

I'm salivating thinking about them....

I can't resist them. But I love just about anything that sings with fresh lemon juice. It has to be fresh lemon juice to be the most tasty. I do so love my nearby Inidan grocery which sells lemons at affordable prices!

Nov. 22 2011 01:04 PM
judy fermon

how salt per pound to dry brine turkey?

Nov. 22 2011 12:58 PM
Ken Braun from Nutley, NJ

OK, a dry salt-and-pepper rub for the turkey, but how long to roast it and at what temperature?

Nov. 22 2011 12:57 PM
jade from NY

You still can't get Mallomars until late OCtober, at least in NY. They come in October and leave by the end of April.

Nov. 22 2011 12:57 PM
khadija from Brooklyn

Would it not be great for Melissa & Mr. Lopate to publish a cookbook: The International Thanksgiving Table in America. Great show. Thank you.

Nov. 22 2011 12:55 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I "discovered" how good rutabagas could be when I found them in health food store without the wax on them! When I'm cooking them, I always slice a little bit thin & eat it raw. I even put them in salad, sliced very thin or shredded like carrots.

Nov. 22 2011 12:50 PM
John from toronto

Here's one for celery root - boil w/ green apples, then mash w/ whipping cream, salt and white pepper for celery - root apple mash

Nov. 22 2011 12:48 PM
janny from jersey city

Melissa, i love your NY Times column, you approach meals and food with equal parts hunger, curiosity, adventure and practicality...your new book is on my wish list!

Nov. 22 2011 12:38 PM
Amy from Manhattan

"Don't boil brussels sprouts"? Why not? I like to put them in soups. As long as you don't overcook them, they retain that sweet flavor. Just don't put them in too early.

Nov. 22 2011 12:36 PM
Linda from jersey shore

Alison from Manhattan.. no frozen!! you can do fresh. it's so much better. frozen is going to be mushy
do it Alison.. I have faith in you.

Nov. 22 2011 12:32 PM
Alison from manhattan

What about frozen brussel sprouts? Can you roast them the same ?

Nov. 22 2011 12:28 PM