What Chefs Feed Their Kids

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Fanae Aaron and Chef Marc Murphy talk about the special challenges of cooking for children. Aaron sought out advice from a diverse group of 20 award-winning chefs who are also parents—including Murphy, Eric Bromberg, Zack Gross, Ana Sortun, Piero Selvaggio, and Floyd Cardoz. What Chefs Feed Their Kids: Recipes and Techniques for Cultivating a Love of Good Food includes stories, tips, and 75 recipes—such as Kale and Scrambed Eggs, Baby Lamb Chops, Nori Chips, and Risotto with Pumpkin, Ginger, and Sage.

Fanae Aaron and Marc Murphy

Kids need more sugar, hydrogenated fats, nitrosamines and empty carbohydrates - all day every day - as much as they want.

And, then you should prepare each individual childs' favorite version of those components for each meal and sit and watch as they don't eat it.

That's what I think.

On the other hand, I did/do none of that with my kid and he eats EVERYTHING.

It ain't rocket science.

Nov. 03 2011 01:03 PM
Jennifer

I have two kids, both of whom are considered good eaters. The older has always been a naturally adventurous eater. My younger one has always been more innately cautious about anything new. She has slowly ramped up to eating many foods. I've discovered a great way to introduce new vegetables is in soups or purees, as what my daughter has often objected to is texture, not flavor. We have a you have to at least try it rule. We also shop together and we try almost any new food that interests.

Nov. 03 2011 01:00 PM
Amy from Manhattan

By the way, tastes can adjust to less salt. I was raised on salty food, but when I moved out, I stopped salting my food, & after a while, when I tried some of my old favorites from the store, they tasted too salty! I love strong flavors. Why cover them up w/so much salt?

Nov. 03 2011 12:58 PM
mark from NJ

+1 @ rj from Short Hills -- modern pressure cookers are safe, convenient, and speedy

now, this segment ... seems a tad misguided. people coming to marc murphy's restaurants are, in the main, arriving knowledgeable about the menu and thus are there by choice.

my kids, on the other hand, have no choice but to eat with the family, and so the preparer / diner dynamic is entirely different than that which occurs in a commercial setting. it's much more of an educational process, part of the greater fabric of family life, than a restaurant meal.

Nov. 03 2011 12:58 PM
MomWhoLoves2Cook from Queens, NY

At the risk of inciting any sanctimommies out there, I love cooking fresh food (organic as often as possible) and baking from scratch. Because organic is costly, we eat less meat and dairy, and much more produce, grains and legumes. Sometimes, we eat PB&J for dinner, and it's not a big deal! I grew up eating "mashed potatoes" and "mac 'n cheese" from a box, but my mom worked all the time, so she did what was easiest. I love knowing I'm putting the best possible food in my child's body, and wish everyone had the means and time to do so. Cooking is also a great way to engage kids and keep things creative. I do agree with Marc Murphy about our unnecessary yet incessant snacking culture.

Nov. 03 2011 12:57 PM
lauren from brooklyn

I find that families with non-American background tend to eat a wider variety of foods. My middle eastern mother cooked lentils, beans, peas, spinach, squash. And all those ingredients are regulars in my kids' diets.

Nov. 03 2011 12:56 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I actually like plain veggies. Broccoli all by itself tastes great if it's not overcooked. It's also great w/a flavorful sauce, of course, but it bothers me that the 1st thing Mr. Murphy mentioned was salt. Salt can promote high blood pressure (not in everyone, but for many people), & getting kids used to salty foods early in life can set them up for unhealthy habits later.

Nov. 03 2011 12:54 PM
lucy

If babies are breastfed they already have a taste for sweet things. Breast milk is sweet.

Nov. 03 2011 12:54 PM
Nick from UWS

I'm so royally sick of the word "kids".

Stop saying "kids" and get some literacy. Kids are baby goats. The word is CHILDREN.

Nov. 03 2011 12:53 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

I was happy to hear your female guest mention how it is best NOT to introduce your kids to high carbohydrate foods at the outset. Carbs are the problem in rich societies.

Nov. 03 2011 12:53 PM
Lulu from Manhattan

In some cases it is just the child asserting him/herself (power struggle). I will find my son hates something 1 wk that he loved a few months ago. Sometimes it is the texture he objects to.

The rule in our house is you try EVERYTHING even if it is just a small bite. You don't have to eat it if you don't like it, but you must TRY.

Nov. 03 2011 12:51 PM
Francis from NY

I have a child with allergies to tree nuts and shellfish - as she has gotten older she has become bolder in her willingness to try new things but it was very difficult when she was younger.

Nov. 03 2011 12:49 PM

To rj. You just reminded me of something I lost when the death of my mother. I MISS my mom's pressure cooker. I was never scared of it. I just thought they were replaced by microwaves. Maybe I'll buy one.

Love the comments about flavors passing through breastmilk. It is SOOOOO true. My son loves broccoli. I'm sure this is because I ate it all the time.

Nov. 03 2011 12:47 PM
rj from Short Hills, NNJ

Why are Americans in general scared of using a pressure cooker. Todays PCookers are very safe. But of course once kept on the stove, we should not move away from the kitchen and be aware of it all the time. It takes a little practice and patience. Personally I can not stand canned beans. I cook Garbanzo and all kinds of beans and lentils in a matter of minutes thanks to this wonder gadget. This is coming from somebody who sincerely follows the rule, eat only what you cook, eat only what your grandma will recognize. And eat mostly plants

Nov. 03 2011 12:38 PM