My Beautiful Genome

Monday, October 31, 2011

Science writer Lone Frank talks about using her own DNA to examine the new science of consumer-led genomics. In My Beautiful Genome she looks at how this science is used, how important it is for our health, and the consequences of biological fortune-telling.

Lone Frank
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

The Truth from Becky

Children should know their parents genetic make up and vice versa, that's it. We are getting to krazee in this world!

Oct. 31 2011 01:58 PM
The Truth from Becky

FYI....do not ask anyone to see their "gene scan" in the future if you plan on getting a second date....not sexy!

Oct. 31 2011 01:57 PM
john from office

China will turn anything into a nightmare.

Oct. 31 2011 01:57 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I thought epigenetic influences could have effects 2 or 3 generations later (like the children of people who grew up during a famine)--how can we have any control of the results of things that happened to our parents or grandparents?

Oct. 31 2011 01:52 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Would the genome labs in China that Ms. Frank mentioned earlier be certified? Maybe the involvement of a doctor isn't necessary, but I'd like the labs to be vetted, even aside from my concerns about China.

Oct. 31 2011 01:42 PM
Kerry from Jersey City

Shocking Leonard has a Jewish person on the show!

Oct. 31 2011 01:38 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I'd be interested to know about my genome, especially to find out what medical issues I need to take into account. But $10,000 isn't cheap to me!

Oct. 31 2011 01:36 PM
Anon from Brooklyn, New York

I am an adoptee and do not know my full medical history. This is an issue for many adoptees and can affect our ability to adequately plan for preventative medical care. I do think about getting genetic testing, but am concerned about insurance companies making use of the information now or in the future. Is it possible to get genetic testing and protect the information?

Oct. 31 2011 01:34 PM
john from office

People will not want this done it will expose who they really are. Regarding issues of race or religion or ethnic background.

Oct. 31 2011 01:31 PM
Dr. Yo from Manhattan

I believe your guest that the future will be like the movie GATACA, and I'm just wondering if I will be able to take a hair from my neighbor's dog and sequence it after it bites me and then I can sew for it having a propensity for aggression. Please discuss the implications for prisoners as well...

Oct. 31 2011 01:31 PM
Linda from Jersey Shore

I am a U5a1a (of swedish and sicilian decent)
my mother is sicilian.