New York City Neuroses

Friday, October 28, 2011

Paula Froelich, contributing editor at Playboy, contributor to The New York Observer, and author of Mercury in Retrograde, talks about neuroses of New Yorkers and looks at an updated version of Karen Horney's list of neuroses from 1936.

Paula Froelich

Kyle from New York from NY

I was just directed to this interview and agree with with the other commenters. I think it's a larger issue with trend stories these days but Paula Froelich sounds like she's never read anything about New York and the people in it before....just strange. I don't think she's stupid but she comes off as not really listening to the host. I think it's an interesting topic and a shame that someone a bit more astute or amusing wasn't available for comment.

Nov. 27 2011 01:24 AM
zack from brooklyn

This is actual neuroses:

"Lisa from East VIllage:
My neurosis got worse when I moved away from NYC, because everyone else wasn't stressed out. That stressed me out. Now that I've moved back to NYC, I feel much healthier."

Whatever this chic was talking about was not neuroses.

Nov. 02 2011 05:53 PM
Connie from Westchester

Gosh! I hate to be a "spoil-sport" BUT I found the guest very amusing. I don't think she meant to be taken all that seriously as though she were a shrink. Lighten up, folks! I am old but I can tolerate younger people's overuse of "like" or "literally". It's the way many people feel that they are communicating. She was just observing and sharing her reactions. That's the fun part of watching others in the city.

Nov. 01 2011 01:08 PM
anm

Question to the glove-wearer: How do you get your gloves off without touching them?

Oct. 28 2011 04:15 PM
Brooke from NYC

I have never heard anyone sound so vapid on this program as Paula Froelich. Or talk over the host so much. The news here is that she's pretending to be a journalist for observing that New Yorkers are uptight? I thought one needed to have either scientific or medical knowledge of some kind or charm and articulation to appear on this show. Disappointed.

Oct. 28 2011 04:02 PM
Mike from NJ

@ janine from MH

Um, I'm no expert, but I believe "halal" is the Muslim equiv of "kosher" and so cannot have a specific smell.

Oct. 28 2011 01:56 PM
Theresa from Brooklyn

One of the worst guests/subjects I've ever heard on this program. The guest sounds like she's not out of middle school, with her "I was like's" and "you know's." She shows her ignorance of her subject with her characterization of "neuroses," and sweeping generalizations about New Yorkers and other regions. The subject itself is treated as an invitation to a call-in kvetch-fest. Terrible stuff.

Oct. 28 2011 12:18 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I agree w/the commenters who question Ms. Froelich's definition of "neurosis." I walk near the curb side of the sidewalk when I pass a coffee shop (esp. Starbucks!) & hold my breath if the door opens, but that's because I hate the smell of coffee, not because of "fear." That seems like a very strange way to characterize it.

Oct. 28 2011 12:15 PM
Em

Another assumption confirmed: to be a female writer for Playboy you have to be a giggling bubblehead (let me guess - she's a "blonde.").
Neurosis is a serious condition and in the current economy should not be trivialised. I also fail to see what is "ironic" about neurosis levels being unchanged from Depression times.

Oct. 28 2011 12:04 PM
Harley Z from Rego Park Queens NY

No distinction between neurosis and annoyance was made. Most of what I have been hearing and reading are not neurosis.
A neurosis is a disorder which causes stress, not something that simply annoys you.

Oct. 28 2011 12:02 PM
francyne pelchar from Pelham Bay Park

there IS hand sanitizer. i would not eat my hand-held food without using it, but nor would i fall on my ass because of an unwillingness to use the poles and grips. i use the # 6, and yes it is crowded at rush hours. so? I'm a size 6 woman who has rarely been groped, and when it happened, i knew what to do. it was not panic.

if becoming annoyed at fellow new yorkers who do not pick up their dog crap is neurotic, then i guess i have this neurosis. as a dog owner and renter, i resent this because i feel it not only messes up my neighborhood, but limits the options of dog-owning renters.

Oct. 28 2011 12:01 PM
Lee from Nolita

DeeCee from LES - You mean like the guest?

Oct. 28 2011 12:00 PM
Raffi from Village

That I'm poor and everyone else is rich and that there's no way to break through.

Oct. 28 2011 11:59 AM
Lauren from Harlem

My husband's #1 pet peeve is cars which double park in Harlem on the main thorough fares, particularly when there is space for them to pull up along side the curb. Every time we drive to Fairway, I know to expect a rant on the way home as we sit in traffic on 125th street because of all the double parked cars.

Oct. 28 2011 11:57 AM
Susan from nyc

And, the poles in the subway make look like silver but they are not silver, they are chrome.

Oct. 28 2011 11:57 AM
Alex from Manhattan

Her constant use of her *voice* is activating my neurosis!

Oct. 28 2011 11:56 AM
Lisa from East VIllage

Oct. 28 2011 11:56 AM
DeeCee from LES

Drunk uptown tourists in the LES yelling "DOOOOOOD!" and their equally drunk dates making that waddling walking fence on the side walk at 9pm so that I have to hit the road to get by.

Oct. 28 2011 11:55 AM
james from brklyn

2 words....Mystery moisture.

(random puddles on dry days in subway, subway seats, or on sidewalk. To be avoided at all cost.)

Oct. 28 2011 11:55 AM
janine from Murray Hill

The smell of Halal on the sidewalks makes me crazy! The mountains of trash at bus stops grosses me out! The bike messengers on sidewalks.

Oct. 28 2011 11:55 AM
A.M. from NYC

Careful, your constant use of "Her constant use of "literally" is activating my neurosis!" is activating might activate people's neuroses!

Oct. 28 2011 11:54 AM
CM from brooklyn

i know that stink by the astor place starbucks..but it doesn't bother me as much as the stink that sprays from the nearby Body Shop. I ALWAYS stay away from it.
My neurosis is anybody wearing anything perfume-y. I avoid sitting near anyone on the subway that looks like they're the type to wear too much.

Oct. 28 2011 11:54 AM
Zaftig from BK

I am DEFINITELY obsessed by the silver rule! And I cover my mouth with my scarf, stop breathing, etc. if somebody sneezes or coughs next to me. No clue if this helps prevent me from getting sick, though.

Oct. 28 2011 11:54 AM
M. L. from New York, NY

That stickiness that forms on the sidewalk around trash pick-up day (from ooze from the piles of trash bags).

Oct. 28 2011 11:53 AM
carolita from nyc

Manhole covers! I know everyone is scared of them now because of the electrified ones that zapped the dogs and dogwalkers, and the one that exploded midtown.

And I'm particularly neurotic about men sitting next to me on the subway and opening their legs wide, crowding me. Drives me nuts, and I even get in arguments over it, asking the men to stop colonizing my space just because I'm a woman -- because they wouldn't dare do that next to another dude.

Oct. 28 2011 11:53 AM

Her constant use of "literally" is activating my neurosis!

Oct. 28 2011 11:52 AM
MP from Brooklyn

None of these things sound like neuroses, they sound like annoyances.

Oct. 28 2011 11:52 AM
A.M. from NYC

If you have to ask...

Oct. 28 2011 11:51 AM

Her constant use of "literally" is activating my neurosis!

Oct. 28 2011 11:51 AM
Julia L from Brooklyn

Getting dripped on by anything in NYC!! Scaffolding, subway ceilings, etc... ACK!

Also, the smell by the Domino Sugar plant on Kent in BK. Biking by there is completely nauseating.

Oct. 28 2011 11:51 AM
Connie from nj

What is the difference between a neurosis and a pet peeve?

Oct. 28 2011 11:51 AM
A.M. from NYC

I have a neurosis around oddly blustery sounding fake-hilarity sounding smoky-hangover-voice voices on the radio.

Oct. 28 2011 11:50 AM