Behind the Wheel: Looking Ahead

Thursday, October 27, 2011

This month's Brian Lehrer Show series on cars and driving continues with a look at the automotive industry in 2012 with Michelle Krebs, senior analyst at Edmunds.com and editor in chief of AutoObserver.com.

Michelle Krebs
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

John from NYC

Regarding her comment Ms. Kreb's comment about GM and the EV1. GM only leased the cars to the group of individuals in California and then recalled them at the end of the lease.

Oct. 27 2011 11:01 AM
Liti from NJ

Free. but in Israel. in many gas stations you get your car washed when you fill up.

Oct. 27 2011 10:59 AM
TV from lower manhattan

Brian, could you ask her what it's like to be a woman reporter in such a male-dominated industry? Thanks.

Oct. 27 2011 10:58 AM
Kerith from Brooklyn

I recently got my car washed before turning it over at the end of the lease. I paid $29 for the cleaning, which I thought was fair but was shocked when the guy cleaned the car for one hour! Then I felt I had to tip him $10 more dollars. I think I got my money's worth, but didn't really have that much time to kill.

Oct. 27 2011 10:57 AM

What is the carbon footprint comparison for replacing an older less efficient vehicle (SUV, for example) for a new more efficient model (hybrid, for example). Beyond just the fuel consumption.

The production of a new vehicle must have significant impact on the environment.

Oct. 27 2011 10:55 AM
Karen from nyc

How can people avoid getting stuck with Katrina or other flood damaged used cars. The insurance companies ended up with a lot of flood damaged cars!

Oct. 27 2011 10:53 AM
Jack Jackson from Central New Jersey

I am lucky/unlucky enough to remember the gas shocks of the 70's. America shifted into high gas mileage/low horsepower transport at that time....The first Gulf War resulted in our pay-off of gasoline under a dollar a gallon for nearly the next 10 years...This led to a mistaken belief that SUV's and high-HP gas guzzlers - BMW's/MB's/etc. - were both appropriate and proper for the average driver. Not taxing and insuring SUV's as trucks and requiring a CDL for their daily operation is a sign of governmental bias into that market segment. (higher profits to the automakers for these models.) I don't mind the thrill of the horsepower but do we really need it?

Oct. 27 2011 10:53 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I think electric cars will be able to last decades, because of so few moving parts. I think that is another reason why the US auto industry resisted them until very recently.

Oct. 27 2011 10:49 AM
Christopher Benton from Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn

People are still hanging on to their old cars. I've been shooting these cars on the streets of NYC and other cities for 10 years:
ridesphotos.com

Oct. 27 2011 10:48 AM
Leah from Brooklyn

Hell, MI, gets a radio shout-out! It's a state joke (I'm a Michigan native) that I'm happy to share with NY listeners.

Oct. 27 2011 10:47 AM