From Watching the Ticker to Watching the Meter

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Michael Grynbaum, New York Times Metrodesk transportation reporter, talks about bankers and traders who have turned to taxi driving after they’ve lost their jobs on Wall Street. He’s joined by Scott Curtis, who spent 25 years as a trader on Wall Street and now drives a cab, which lets him to meet potential employers. Grynbaum’s article “Eyes Once on the Ticker Are Now on the Meter,” appeared in the Times on October 14.

Scott Curtis and Michael Grynbaum

lesterine from manhattan

i was interested in this segment until scott voiced his opinion of the OWS protests.
the securities fraud that brought down the economy was ILLEGAL and most in a position to stop it were fully aware of what they were doing and did nothing except take as much profit before the bottom fell out as they could.
OWS is exercising their right, their OBLIGATION to speak and act against it. too bad leonard didn't ask him if he supports the tea party's agenda.
scott's a creep and it disgusts me to hear people like him speak on NPR.
if i happen to end up in his cab, i'll jump out without bothering to shut the door.

Oct. 28 2011 11:19 AM
connie from nj

I just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed listening to Chris Bannon during the fund drive. It's the first time I've noticed that he's quite funny and personable.

Oct. 26 2011 02:01 PM
ted from connecticut

I drove a cab for 2 years while getting my MBA at Columbia. I never got an offer from the back seat but i learned how to be an entrepreneur, met facinating people and paid for my education with a lot of hours especially at night. best, ted

Oct. 26 2011 01:51 PM
DK in BK

Sometimes the Producers of the show play relevant intro and outro music to segments. How about playing the theme from the 1970’s TV show Taxi! One of the best TV themes of all time!

Oct. 26 2011 01:50 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

"live by the sword, die by the sword"? not buying that your guest didn't feel the least bit spit out by his first, chosen industry. with this logic, i hardly expect him to espouse any empathy for the OWS movement--he still feels like he belonged, for one, and for another, he misses the point being made about providing a level playing field, vis a vis education and the opportunity that should come from it.

Oct. 26 2011 01:50 PM
Henry from Katonah

I am looking forward to the day when the US has a smaller financial sector.
I can hope that GOP policies that turned financial markets into a casino games will disappear.
I hope that former bankers stay out where they are now if they are gainfully employed.
Good luck guys!

Oct. 26 2011 01:48 PM
Nancy from Brooklyn

Perhaps Mr. Curtis could tell us where to locate all those jobs he claims the OWS protesters should be finding? His attitude explains why we have anti-Wall Street protests.

Oct. 26 2011 01:46 PM
sanych

Scott Curtis has almost zero chance to get a Wall Street job. If he publicly said that he supports OWS, his chances would be exactly zero.

Why do you think I post under an alias?

Oct. 26 2011 01:45 PM
Benny from LESA

No offense but I can't tell if I'm supposed to feel sympathetic for this guest or what.

I understand he is pounding the pavement but he was likely affected by greedy Wallstreet and now he is taking work away from other people.

Privatize the profits, socialize the losses.

Oct. 26 2011 01:44 PM