Helping Twice-Exceptional Kids

Monday, October 24, 2011

Animal scientist and author of Bright Not Broken: Gifted Kids, ADHD, and Autism Temple Grandin and Diane Kennedy, co-author and advocate for children with overlapping diagnoses, talk about those kids who are exceptional, both in their disabilities and their intelligence.

Temple Grandin and Diane Kennedy

justinstoned from New York, New York United States

Brian & Temple thanks for the great program & talking my call.

I invite both of you to visit me at the infomation desk next time you visit Occupy Wall Street/ Liberty Plaza!

You are both Cool Heroes in my book!

Many thanks for showing the power of education.

@justinstoned on twitter

Oct. 24 2011 10:51 PM
Dimi Berkner from Half Moon Bay, California

Hi, Norm--Yes, there's a book called, Social Skills Success for Students with Autism / Asperger's: Helping Adolescents on the Spectrum to Fit In by Fred Frankel and Jeffrey Wood. It's meant for parents and teachers, and is being published in about two weeks (from Jossey-Bass Publishers). You may find this useful.

Oct. 24 2011 04:49 PM
Linda from Upper West Side

I love the Always Be Pledging promo -- especially since I watched Glengarry Glenn Ross for the umpteenth time recently and still have Alec Baldwin's monologue fresh in my mind. Put that coffee down!

Oct. 24 2011 11:57 AM
brooklynmom78 from Park Slope, Brooklyn

Thank you Temple, for taking the time to represent a group which doesn't often have a voice. I believe that nowadays, we get too hung up with labels instead of focusing on the traits, strengths and weaknesses of an individual, and that many well meaning medical professionals can actually be doing more harm than good by focusing on the negative aspects of a diagnosis instead of assessing the individuals aptitudes and their level of functioning. We need to accept that all things in nature exist on a continuum, whether it be masculinity/femininity, introversion/extroversion, tall/short, or whatever it may be, and that variety is intrinisic to Nature's design. I also want to point out that deficits in social skills may be due to a variety of conditions, including mood,anxiety disorders, ADHD, and even things as simple as learning bad manners from friends and family.

Oct. 24 2011 11:33 AM
Marissa from NYC

I always thought that people with autism probably had another part of their mind that was significantly augmented, some mental ability that was amplified as the brain compensated for the loss of social and communicative skills. I still believe that people with autism are a severely underused resource and that if we allowed them to contribute to science and technology that society could move forward significantly

Oct. 24 2011 11:26 AM
Norm from West Village

This is such a wonderful and important segment. Thank you!

How can we find a way to teach our kids social skills? Is there a program?

warmly, norm

Oct. 24 2011 11:25 AM
H. SUSS from NYC

EINSTEIN WAS NO "EINSTEIN".

Oct. 24 2011 11:23 AM
Steve

The idea that Albert Einstein was autistic is absolutely ludicrous. Einstein did well in school and would do well now. He also was an incredibly social person. Apparently these people think that any brilliant person was autistic. Talk about making a mockery of the diagnosis.

Oct. 24 2011 11:18 AM
Allen

I've always found this topic, and Temple Grandin, interesting - even before I had kids. Now that I do, I'm constantly trying to find the resources and tools to help me figure out the best ways to help my child achieve his potential. I hope that Temple and Diane can discuss how to develop those resources for these kids.

Oct. 24 2011 10:14 AM