Behind the Wheel: Buying a Car, Used and New

Friday, October 21, 2011

Michelle Krebs, senior analyst at Edmunds.com and editor in chief of AutoObserver.com, continues this month's Brian Lehrer Show series on cars and driving with a discussion on buying a car, whether it's used or new.

Michelle Krebs
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Lynnet

Help! I don't understand the last caller's advice and what Brian thought was so brilliant about it.

She wants to pay $215/month but pretends she's willing to pay $250? I don't get it.

Oct. 21 2011 11:05 AM
Ken from Bayonne, NJ 07002

I am considering buy a 2007 Saturn ION. Since Saturn is no longer in business, but GM still is, would this be a wise buy?

Oct. 21 2011 10:58 AM
dr sherlock litter from brooklyn

if you are want to grow USA jobs or are a true economic patriot or support unions, please seriously consider buying FORD GM OR CHRYSLER now once again top notch. see .YOUTUBE video, search dr sherlock litter. an entertaining enlightening video.

Oct. 21 2011 10:55 AM
Brad from Manhattan

The last caller offered the worst possible advice. NEVER negotiate a purchase based on payment.

Oct. 21 2011 10:52 AM
PopeJon from Ridge, NY

I've owned an armada of poop boxes and I have to say if you plan on holding on to your car as long as you can and run it into the ground, new is the only way to go. You just don't know and will never know what the previous owner did to the car (car fax covers accidents, not daily over abuse...). I got 207,000 miles out of my last new car.

Oct. 21 2011 10:47 AM
Bob from Westchester

We bought a new Honda CR-V last month (and almost lost it when our garage flooded the very next morning!). In addition to Edmunds and Consumer Reports, we recommend the USAA Car Buying for both dealer reviews and guaranteed price offers (actual price, with no add-ons), which made the process much less stressful.

One warning - after agreeing to a price, Honda dealer in New Rochelle attempted to add a $179 "administrative fee" in the contract. When asked why we were paying for his staff, he said "everyone does it" (which never worked with my mother!) and "it's printed in the contract, so we can't remove it". We walked, and bought the car for the same price at another dealer without an undisclosed fee.

Oct. 21 2011 10:47 AM
Al Pomerou from Brooklyn, NY

I have a question about insurance. We are receiving our in-laws' old car as a gift. We live mostly in Brooklyn, but have a house in PA that we're fixing up. Can we insure the car in PA?

Oct. 21 2011 10:42 AM
Elliott from CT

Everytime I have gone to a car dealer they reject Edmunds prices - they always tell me they use some other company that tells the "wholesale" value.
How accurate are these sites and is this just a scam?

Oct. 21 2011 10:42 AM
Sheldon from Crown Heights

Also -- do NY State buyers have to pay sales tax if they buy a car out of State?

Oct. 21 2011 10:40 AM
John A.

PennySaver + a $100 inspection before purchase.

Oct. 21 2011 10:39 AM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

Calculate everything. Car payment (if there is one), insurance, weekly gas, regular oil changes, car wash (if you can't do it yourself).

Recently, I had my low beam headlight go out, unlike the olden golden days I could not change it myself, and it cost $70! $45 of it for the bulb itself.

Cars (even inexpensive cars) are costly to have.

Oct. 21 2011 10:38 AM
Sheldon from Crown Heights

Where should I get financing? Assuming the interest rates the dealers have are higher.

Oct. 21 2011 10:35 AM
Federico Zanatta from Edison,

How can you tell if a car has been under the water in one of the last epic storms?

Thanks !