Tomorrow marks the 200th birth anniversary of Franz Liszt, composer and virtuoso pianist. As WNYC’s Sara Fishko tells us, Liszt used his adventurous thinking, as well, to change public performance forever. Here is the next Fishko Files.
The Liszt List
- New this year, Freire plays his own selection of Liszt works both gentle and gigantic.
- An impressive, remastered Liszt assortment by Bolet from 1972-3 (unearthed from the vaults!).
- Liszt played by Hamelin, one of the most dazzling and thoughtful pianists alive.
- Liszt for piano and orchestra, with the late, great Richter at the keyboard.
- For total immersion: The Complete Liszt Piano Music performed by pianist Leslie Howard (99 discs!).
Executive Producer: Sara Fishko
Assistant Producer: Laura Mayer
Mix Engineer: Wayne Shulmister
WNYC Newsroom Editor: Karen Frillmann