Jacques Pépin on His Best Recipes

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Master chef Jacques Pépin talks about selecting his favorite recipes from the thousands he has created, streamlining them for his latest cookbook, Essential Pepin: More than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food. It also includes a searchable DVD demonstrating every technique a cook will ever need, and includes classic recipes, from Linguine with Clam Sauce and Vegetables to Five-Peppercorn Steak to Mémé’s Apple Tart, which his mother made every day in her Lyon restaurant.

Jacques Pépin
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Diane Franey

On the Jacques Pepin show you mentioned that you had interviewed my father, Pierre Franey. Is that show available?

Oct. 25 2011 11:39 AM
Helen from Sunnyside, New York

My husband and I really enjoyed today's interview with Jacques Pepin. He's quite delightful. And we specially enjoyed finding out that he was at Howard Johnson's and almost certainly the creator of the delicious clam rolls that we would practically every weekend. No clam dishes have ever equaled those.

Oct. 20 2011 03:47 PM
Marlene Marinaccio from Mamaroneck,NY

I was so happy to catch Jacques Pepin. He is one of my very favorite chefs. He is fun to listen to and to watch. His presentation is homey yet sophisticated.

Oct. 20 2011 01:20 PM

I LOVE JP!!

Thanks for this fantastic interview!

Oct. 20 2011 12:53 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Monsieur Pepin is a pleasure to listen to! He has a wonderful outlook and sensibilities.

Oct. 20 2011 12:46 PM
Hal from Crown Heights

Watching Jacques prep ingredients on TV has made me a more efficient, and a safer home cook.

Oct. 20 2011 12:45 PM
susan Buckler

Does Mr. Papin remember the Howard Johnson recipe for Pink Peppermint ice cream? My absolute favorite from my childhood!

Oct. 20 2011 12:40 PM
A listener

Has Jacques had much interaction with Mark Bittman and does Jacques have an opinion on Mark's efforts to get people cooking?

Oct. 20 2011 12:24 PM
Ruth from Brooklyn

Love, love, love Jacques Pepin!! Out of all the chefs, he is absolutely my favorite. Not just a great cook, but also a a great teacher!

Oct. 20 2011 12:18 PM