Speaker Quinn on the Economy

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

City Council Speaker Christine Quinn discusses budget news and other city issues, including Occupy Wall Street, new jobs proposals, and the living wage bill.

Christine Quinn
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

EugeniaRenskoff from Brooklyn, NY

Hi, Yesterday I went to the Occupy Wall Street location and I found myself crying as I was getting there. The loss of my condo in GA to predatory lending and mortgage fraud is something I have tried very hard to get over. Now I know that it is not a realistic goal. I will always miss that condo. I did tell the person at Zuccotti Park that I was glad they were all there. Eugenia Renskoff

Oct. 18 2011 03:20 PM
MFan

I'm a freelance web developer that works in all sorts of technologies and businesses. That company must either not know how to recruit, or is not offering competitive wages. And when I say competitive I mean upwards of $100K, which is what any senior-level person with decent connections or agency representation can easily net.

The thing is, even before the economy crashed many of us preferred the flexibility of freelancing to a steady 9-5. I would argue, more than other occupations, those who are really "into" programming tend to want non-traditional and self-directed hours. And those of us with senior-level experience tend to have the leverage to do that. I know that I tend to do my best work after 4:00pm, whereas in an office, by that time I'm watching the clock. Furthermore, the money is often better, even taking into account benefits, and once you get a steady line of business it tends to sustain itself.

And finally, perhaps this is due to being more pragmatically (programatically?) minded, but to me, these days a "permanent" position is nothing more than a long-term temp gig. I can count on one hand the number of colleagues I know that have stuck with the same company (or had the same company stick to them, more likely) for more than three years, or even two. Employers are only loyal to their employees for as long as they can justify the expense. And that's fine, but I feel in order for this to be an equitable and sustainable relationship it must cut both ways, and ultimately acknowledging this truth makes everyone happier in the long run.

PS- tech recruiters laugh at "certification programs", whether it's the MSCE or any other, except in perhaps the most entry-level position, simply because it tells you nothing about how the person works with others or approaches problems. Experience is king. And it must be harder and harder for someone green to get that first job, as that kind of stuff tends to get farmed out to India (with variable results).

Oct. 18 2011 12:26 PM

How much of these secret allocations were eventually steered to support WNYC or NPR?

Oct. 18 2011 10:50 AM
Stephan from Queens NYC

What is speaker Quinn talking about on software developer’s job in the NY/US. I have an old college friend that owns his own small software company in NH. He has about 10 developers working for him in the US. He once told me that he can get 4 to 5 developers in Mumbai for the cost of 1 developer in the US, without losing the quality of work and the guys in Mumbai work long hours to get their code out the door on, or before the due date. First the big companies like IBM, HP, MS etc. outsourced coding jobs to India and other places, now the so call small business (those so call mom & pop shops) are doing the same. I had to get out of software developing because of this insane greed. When will it end?

Oct. 18 2011 10:38 AM
Kitty McCullough from Hudson Valley

Would someone please tell Christine Quinn that over the past 14 years the Lilly Endowment has steered nearly $1 billion dollars to BioCrossroads Indiana; that the Endowment also put $40 million into workforce readiness for advanced manufacturing in Southern Indiana in 2004; that another Biotech supercluster, Massachusetts, reported recently that more people in MA work as designers than in Biotech; that MA recently reported international saturation (aka a "shakeout") in the tech fields.... Coming to the game late and investing in the economic leaders of a decade ago may not be the best place to sink the lion's share of our public economic incentives. While tech is better than the Governor's recent digression into casinos (CASINOS!) maybe we should be looking for innovative FUTURE ORIENTED solutions.

Oct. 18 2011 10:27 AM

WNYC has declared its worth to the public by failing to ask the following of Ms. Quinn:

Since January 2008 to the present:

What has been the cost to tax payers for attorneys retained to represent City Council members or City Council employees in matters being investigated by the Assistant U.S. Attorney or other investigative bodies in connection with the City Council's practice of making budgetary allocations to phantom or non-existent organizations for later disbursement to actual organizations favored by favored council members?
How much money has been spent to provide Ms. Quinn with legal counsel for those matters.

When, if ever, will the the City Council issue a report on this tawdry episode?

Oct. 18 2011 10:23 AM

Wow! Go Cheeslewiz!

Oct. 18 2011 10:22 AM
RJ from prospect hts

NY exceptionalism. Oh, how sad--American exceptionalism isn't bad enough? The green movement in Detroit isn't exceptional? The recovery, community-based movement in New Orleans isn't exceptional? The town in Kentucky, I think, that rebuilt itself green isn't exceptionalism? Why, why, why do we have to have this nonsensical ego-based competition? Why aren't we working cooperatively with those communities to spread these new initiatives among localities around the country? Are the long-term impoverished of Appalachia stupider than NYers? I a m *so, so, so* tired of this.

Oct. 18 2011 10:22 AM
Jenny from Brooklyn

Why isn't she supporting the Paid Sick Time Act?

Oct. 18 2011 10:20 AM
CL from NY

CQ is one of the most annoying, small-thinking politicians in NYC. I sincerely hope she doesn't become mayor.

Oct. 18 2011 10:20 AM
RL

"Optimism" come on. You're killing us here. That's not exceptional. This is straight out of the 'what to do to win an election" rule book. Can you please just be a real person, and not an electiontron?

What makes us exceptional is that we have a piece of every other country in this one in the form of the wide diversity of people - that's exceptional. And that's all! Quite trying to be so essoterric.

Oct. 18 2011 10:19 AM
John from queens

I am an out of work programmer, how do I find out about this city sponsered training?

Oct. 18 2011 10:19 AM
john from office

I am glad to see she has been going to a speech coach. She does not sound as shrill as in the past. Almost listenable.

Oct. 18 2011 10:18 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Even a broken clock is right - twice a day. Martin - for once, you're right.

Oct. 18 2011 10:18 AM

Good morning:

Since January 2008 to the present:

When, if ever, will the the City Council issue a report on this tawdry episode?

Oct. 18 2011 10:18 AM
Michael D. D. White from Brooklyn Heights

The closest set of decisions where Speaker Quinn has had an opportunity to make decisions counterpointing to the issues raised by the Occupied Wall Street protesters (the privileged 1% vs. the 99% and government siding with enrichment of a politically connected 1%) is the government-assisted Ratner Atlantic Yards mega-monopoly.

Respecting hat set of decisions Quinn consistently came down on the side of enriching the politically connected 1%.

See: Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Not THAT Michael White: Visiting Occupy Wall Street and How I Know The Economy Is Bad (For the 99%)

Oct. 18 2011 10:18 AM
Billy Gray from Greenpoint

What does Speaker Quinn think of the Millionaire's tax, which is supported by 72% of New Yorkers state-wide?

I ask because she's very opportunistic, and I think she has no desire to really represent New Yorkers, just her financial backers and elite political friends.

Oct. 18 2011 10:17 AM
Stephen from Manhattan

Does Christine Quinn ever not sound whiney, shrill, and strident? The thought of listening to her as mayor makes my ears bleed.

Oct. 18 2011 10:16 AM
RL

"Loss of hope" oh, please. You don't even know the problem, so how can you fixt it? Try: income disparity and the rigged system.

The lack of punishment for those companies who got us into this problem, because they wrote their own laws. They should have been allowed to fail, or at least fix the system so next time they can.

Oct. 18 2011 10:13 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Quinn wants to be the next mayor....responsible in an adult fashion to ALL New Yorkers for the economic health, vibrancy and growth of this once great city. Expressing "solidarity" with these phony slacker OWS hooligans is a sad return to her "victimhood" loving days as a panderer to the permanently "aggrieved" gay community. Shame on her. It's time to grow up if you expect to be supported as a candidate of all the citizens, rather than just another "first" this or that.

As Yeats wrote, "The worst are filled with a passionate intensity while the best lack all conviction."

Oct. 18 2011 10:05 AM