Pray the Devil Back to Hell

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Leymah Gbowee, Liberian activist and winner of this year's Nobel Peace Prize and author with Carol Mather of Mighty Be Our Powers: How Sisterhood, Prayer and Sex Changed a Nation at War, talks about her work and the documentary about her life premiering tonight on PBS at 10 p.m. EST and streamed on their website. She is joined by the director of Pray the Devil Back to Hell,  Gini Reticker.

Leymah Gbowee and Gini Reticker

Ed from Larchmont

Brian Lehrer showed that he's not an agnostic, but he's strongly antagonistic to the idea of the existence of God. And it takes nerve to challenge a Nobel Prize winner!

I think Brian Lehrer is a Kantian - believes that the only certain knowledge (putting aside the moral law) is from the science, that all metaphysics is opinion and unprovable.
Which, of course, denies Revelation.

I wonder why Brian Lehrer is so antagonistic to the idea of God's existence and presence?

Oct. 20 2011 08:28 AM

I agree with Mark and MP from Brooklyn. She was responding sincerely to a question Brian posed to her and his counterpoint was unnecessary. I don't expect Brian to understand what Gbowee was speaking of but he need not dismiss it either.

Oct. 18 2011 02:50 PM

I agree with MP.

Good point.

Oct. 18 2011 11:52 AM
MP from Brooklyn

I happen to agree with Brian. I just don't think it was the right moment for his comment,

Oct. 18 2011 11:44 AM

@MP from Brooklyn

I disagree. Religion should always be challenged. Leymah Gbowee is one rare example of how religion has not f*d it up.

She keeps it in perspective and is able to remain light and not condescending, overly dogmatic etc. she is totally pragmatic.

The way faith is suppose to be - I think.

Oct. 18 2011 11:37 AM
Lisa from New York City

Ms. Gbowee and her colleagues achieved amazing results in extraordinary circumstances. Their work is carried out everyday by women's groups across Africa. They are doing the slow, pain-staking, day-in-day peacebuilding in less heightened situations. Their efforts need to be recognized and supported.
For more info:

Oct. 18 2011 11:33 AM
Fuva from Harlemworld

For real, john from the office, what I appreciate about your comment/ question is that you admit that you don't understand. What is critically lacking with this discourse is fundamental socioeconomic understanding -- without which there can be no solution...A full answer to your question would not fit here, but the short answer is the chaos of poverty/ socioeconomic exclusion and the ripple/ intergenerational effects, that only self-determination can solve....

Oct. 18 2011 11:27 AM
Mark

Why did Brian have to point out a secular person could bring about the same result. This person is a proud Christian who brought about profound change. Highlight that point, not the counterpoint. C'mon Brian, you're better than that.

Oct. 18 2011 11:20 AM
oscar from ny

The stinking media (devils) makes the American ppl believe that wall st is occupied...I went there and there wad like ten feet of space with young ppl not knowing a thing bout whats going on surrounded by a force of cops, I even askd a dude selling shiskobabs hiw mych he was like 5$..smh..this city is doomed..the devils will pilage this city to its core

Oct. 18 2011 11:18 AM
Ed from Larchmont

It's not that a secular person wouldn't think of such a project, etc., but that the secular person doesn't have the power to do it.

Oct. 18 2011 11:17 AM
John from office

Fuva, without getting into a back a forth about me, how do you explain that these are the same women who raised the men who committed these crimes? That is the part I dont understand, how can you rape or murder women, when you have a mother or sisters??

Oct. 18 2011 11:17 AM
MP from Brooklyn

I think that Brian's response to the guest's comment on Christianity was a little disrespectful to her.

Oct. 18 2011 11:17 AM

I ❤ Leymah Gbowee.

Brave and inspirational.

Congratulations and thank you!!

Oct. 18 2011 11:16 AM
Fuva from Harlemworld

(On another note, I think today's show title is very clever and a little devilishly naughty...)

Oct. 18 2011 10:01 AM
Fuva from Harlemworld

God Bless Leymah Gbowee. Courageous and inspirational. Some of her tactics need to be applied in the hood...

Oct. 18 2011 09:59 AM