Ask an Occupy Wall Street Reporter

Friday, October 14, 2011

Arun Venugopal, WNYC reporter, takes your questions about Occupy Wall Street, particularly the logistics of the encampment at Zucotti Park.

Arun Venugopal

anna from ny ny

El Paso CEO Is Set for $95 Million in Exit Pay After Kinder Morgan Deal
Article
Stock Quotes
Comments (61)
MORE IN BUSINESS »

BY SCOTT THURM

El Paso Corp. Chief Executive Douglas Foshee says he doesn't plan to stay at Kinder Morgan Inc. after the pipeline company acquires his employer. He has 95 million reasons to leave.

That's the approximate value of Mr. Foshee's exit package, including severance payments and equity, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of El Paso's regulatory filings. The filings specify that Mr. Foshee would be eligible for the payments if he leaves within two years of an acquisition.

An El Paso spokesman declined ...

in WSJ

Oct. 19 2011 12:26 AM
Emc

"kind of" "sort of"... can you kindly drop these and get specific? New York is the bigtime...

Oct. 14 2011 05:49 PM
Jeff from Manhattan

I was down at the park this morning to support the protesters' right to assemble. Truly inspiring group, and much better organized than a lot of people realize. Thanks to Arun and WNYC for continuing to cover this story--a bit late on the uptake like most news outlets, but making up for lost time.

Oct. 14 2011 01:35 PM
anonyme

Why is everybody so cranky? I am amazed nobody has spoken up before this protest - it's really kind of scary to me that we Americans have allowed ourselves to be so ripped off - we bailed out GM, they produced a good result in a respectable turn-around time - OK - but we bail out the banks and no fraud is prosecuted - and they still hold so many futures hostage - and they still get their bonuses. I'm glad the protesters are there and I'm glad they've got nice manners and they are not getting bloodied by cops (like their 60s and 70s counterparts) I'm glad they marched uptown - I am glad they are speaking up. I feel like they are speaking for me. Big tent is fine with me - a lot of people have been screwed - 99% of us!

Oct. 14 2011 12:31 PM
Longstreet from Closer than you'd like to Zucotti park

These lefties should've spent the past few weeks doing some community service down there. Believe it or not, actually helping people is a good tactic.
Oh, wait- I forgot that this lot is comprised of lazy, envious, Leninist cheapskates who are obviously much too important to be bothered with anything except drawing attention to their pathetic gripes.
Plus, I always forget that raising consciousness is much more arduous than any other form of labor and they are to be lauded for their Herculean sacrifices in doing so.

Oct. 14 2011 11:52 AM
Brian

Clowns can not win hearts and minds. These theatrics are keeping the middle class from getting involved

Oct. 14 2011 11:27 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Jews for Racial & Economic Justice is also holding events in the sukkah at Zuccotti Park (maybe for this we could call it Sukkoti Park?). The schedule is at their website: jfrej.org.

Oct. 14 2011 11:26 AM
Erik from Montclair

the question about why people think about bathrooms and logistics with this vs Egypt... could be because people are considering joining - Egypt was a bit far away.

Oct. 14 2011 11:25 AM
dan from Brooklyn

Whats up with the cigarette rolling station? I spotted a booth when I was there the other week that had a couple guys sitting around a table rolling cigarettes for other protesters. Im pretty sure that they were selling them.

Oct. 14 2011 11:25 AM
marco from New York

What a sad display of bourgeois anger....childish contempt at the culture that sustains their cosseted lives.....Nearly everyone agrees that financial world badly needs reform (except apparently Obama's economic advisors), but these demonstrations are merely a distraction that undermines the cause.

Oct. 14 2011 11:25 AM
Evan from New York, NY

I'm so glad that the host and the guest find the destruction of a store's bathroom amusing. However you feel about the protests, it doesn't give them the right to use the bathrooms for bathing or to destroy the store's property. If it's such a wonderful idea, why don't you open your apartments to them?

Oct. 14 2011 11:24 AM
Rich from Blairstown NJ

Occupy Sukkot

Oct. 14 2011 11:23 AM
amy stone

For the Jewish holiday of Sukkot, there will be a meal tonight at 7 pm at the Zuccotti Park sukkah. People are invited to bring a vegetarian dish to share and should bring their own plates and implements.

Oct. 14 2011 11:21 AM
John from office

I saw some signs equate Zionism with Bankers. Is there an element of anti Israel anti jewish banker thing going on??

Oct. 14 2011 11:16 AM
CT

There are lots of ideas and goals, you're just not looking for them! See Twitter hashtag #ConcreteIdeas for a sampling: http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23ConcreteIdeas

Oct. 14 2011 11:14 AM
John A.

How are they planning to winter over?

Oct. 14 2011 11:13 AM
CT

I saw the sukkot! It's been there for a few days. It's on the north-central side of the park.

Oct. 14 2011 11:13 AM
Jeff from East Village

"I get that when my four-year-old doesn't have to take a bath" -- sub. host on the morning cheers from Occupy Wall Streeters NYC cheers at not having to move for cleanup.

Maybe add to NPR's own commentary on how coverage of Occupy issue is belittled or skewed.

Oct. 14 2011 11:12 AM

Why don’t the Wall Street protesters articulate a specific demand?
Because they represent a mass complaint. All issues count.

A specific issue would end the occupation. It would change the occupation into confrontation or negotiation.
Are they badly organized?
No. The purpose of their organizing work is to keep the occupation in place.

Oct. 14 2011 11:11 AM
john from office

I have been working around the corner from the protest. I understand the idea, but see no goals. I also wonder again, why the nudity??, I saw guys in childrens briefs standing with signs.

Oct. 14 2011 11:10 AM