Following Up: Rescue Dogs

Friday, October 14, 2011

Following up on the conversation with Jill Abramson, Julie Klam, author of You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness and new book, Love at First Bark: How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself, makes the case for rescue dogs.

Julie Klam

Eugenia Renskoff from Brooklyn, NY

Hi, My best friend was a German shepherd named Rubio. I inherited him from a friend who died in a fire. Rubio was the best dog--loyal and protective. I tried to give him the best kind of life, but sometimes we didn't have good neighbors. I will always miss him. Someday I want to have another dog. For now my cat (a stray who I thought was pregnant) is my friend. She's the best cat ever. I feed the homeless cats whenever I can in Williamsburgh, on Grand Street. They are not feral and could use good homes. After Rubio, I had 2 other dogs, one died. He was like my soul mate. Eugenia Renskoff

Oct. 14 2011 01:46 PM
Mary from Long Island, NY

@Adam -- as the proud mama of 2 beautiful, loving, loyal, rescued "pit bulls" (one of whom was a bait dog rescued 10 years ago after being left to die with his throat torn open ear to ear)-- thanks for calling Mike out on his downright unprofessional statements. It is his professional, moral and ethical responsibility to find out the facts BEFORE commenting on a subject, which in this case he obviously DID NOT bother to do. Shame on him for contributing to the unfounded media-driven hysteria surrounding the bully breeds. I for one would never have any other "type" of dog in my home. I feel sorry for those who will never know what an honor and privilege it is to have a "pit bull" in their lives because of the constant barrage of lies and misinformation the media insists on spreading for the sake of ratings. My heart is shattered in a million pieces for the thousands of innocent dogs that pay the price for these lies with their lives every single day.

Oct. 14 2011 01:27 PM
Aeriadne from New York

This issue of animals in need of home and rescue also applies to parrots and other birds. Despite being the third most popular pet in the US, birds rarely ever get any press. As undomesticated animals whose intelligence is on par with dolphins and primates, parrots are also a lot more complicated to care for. Unfortunately, many people are not equipped to provide for their emotional and physical needs, which is compounded by the fact that many species are quite long-lived - cockatoos and macaws can live to 100 years or more and even medium-sized birds like conures and Amazons can reach 50. As a result, self-destructive abnormal behaviors like feather plucking can develop, and relinquishment to overburdened sanctuaries, which are nowhere near as numerous or funded as those for cats and dogs, is common. Despite this, parrots are still sold at pet stores, most of which acquire them from breeder mills. As birds are not covered under the US's Animal Welfare Act, there is also sadly little protection offered to them, and this largely unseen dilemma continues.

Oct. 14 2011 12:13 PM
Mary from Long Island, NY

Please don't shop -- adopt!

urgentdeathrowdogs.org
Facebook: Urgent Part 2

Save a life today!

Oct. 14 2011 12:03 PM
Megan from Brooklyn

Thank you to Julie for all of her work! I currently live with my pit bull (a rescue) and two foster dogs, both pit bull mixes who I am working on getting adopted. Over the last five years I have rescued and re-homed 15 dogs, all pits and pit-mixes, all great, gentle, loving animals. Dog rescue is a funny practice, sometimes frustrating, sometimes stressful, but always incredibly rewarding.

Oct. 14 2011 12:01 PM
carrie from flatbush

I have 3 rescue dogs in a studio apartment; a pit-boxer, lab-mix, and shepherd-mix. They are a lot of work but worth EVERY minute of it. I ride my bike while they run and this helps keep the apt. a calm place.

Oct. 14 2011 12:01 PM
Juli from Skillman, NJ

Dogs totally change you. I rescued a standard American mix shelter dog named Ginger in 1999. She was mistreated by her previous owner. She awakened a part of my heart that was never opened before. I was never really able to love like I do now; and, I owe it all to Ginger.

Oct. 14 2011 11:59 AM
Adam

Mike Peska stop calling dogs Pit Bulls if you don't know what you are talking about. There are many breeds that any of us would confuse as Pitbulls. You are speaking of "Pit Bulls" negatively even if you are unaware of it and perpetuating a myth. If you would like to educate yourself read a book called The Pitbull Placebo.

Oct. 14 2011 11:59 AM
Allison from Brooklyn

We adopt older "special needs dogs" so we've adopted 6 dogs in about 8 years. We have quite a bit of sadness when they pass but they are such good dogs. We really love them. They really just keep going and loving no matter how many owners they've had and what kind of disability they have. I love old dogs...even when they're smelly even when they get leaky.

We love dog rescue!

Oct. 14 2011 11:58 AM
Erika from Brooklyn

While I love dogs and think dog rescue is great it is millions of cats that are desperately in need of homes.

Oct. 14 2011 11:56 AM
john from office

"bark in the Park" Fundraiser!

Which park???? and when

Oct. 14 2011 11:51 AM
john from office

I have 4 rescue cats, and would have a dog if I had the space. Animals are great for you and it is great to come home to them.

Oct. 14 2011 11:47 AM

Rescue dogs are the best! My wife has rescued 2 previous rescue pitbulls and we now live with her 3rd, a almost all white, red nosed, blue eyed DEAF dog we call Petey. There is no need to pay a breeder for a dog when shelters are FULL of dogs looking for homes.

WNYC please announce this weekend is Liberty Humane Society's "bark in the Park" Fundraiser!

Oct. 14 2011 11:35 AM
dog lover from nyc

Rescue dog? Here you go:

Oct. 14 2011 11:21 AM
anonyme

This goes for kitties, too, don't you think? Or any animal who needs a home.

Oct. 14 2011 10:42 AM