The Brooklyn Sexual Attacks

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Kate Briquelet, staff reporter for The Brooklyn Paper, talks about the 13 sexual assaults, including one rape, of young women in the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Park Slope, South Slope, Sunset Park, and Windsor Terrace.

Kate Briquelet
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

L from New York

There were some grammitical errors in my posts.

I meant to say
"This is one of the things that have kept women back in the stone ages, making them think that it is mysogynist to move beyond dressing up in dresses and high heels and other such garments that were created to objectify women to begin with"

and

"After all, there are times in which people are robbed when they are not counting their money in public, does it mean that no robbery has anything to do with the fact that some robbery victims were counting their money in public? "

Oct. 15 2011 07:26 PM
L from New York

"m from realityville "
I dont know if I would agree with anything else you say in any other context, but I agree with you that certain women do have to get over themselves regarding the fact that a lot of them don't have common sense and think that they can do something so extreme such as dress as if they are desperate for attention and then complain when they get it.
I don't buy the idea that women who dress up so as to attract attention should not be criticized ( not that the men who grope or harass or sexually assault them shouldn't be critized either). It is an act of encouraging women to stereotype themselves and act like dumb vulnerable things to say that it is OK to dress any way they want and that they can never be wrong to dress "attractively." This is one of the things that have kept women back in the stone ages, making them think that it is not mysogynist to move beyond dressing up in dresses and high heels and other such garments that were created to objectify women to begin with.
Cynthia from Park Slope seems to think that those "Slut Walks" are benefitting women (and I heard that there was a "Slut Walk" in New York). Those walks with their counterproductive message only make it more ingraned in society that being female and " being sluts" are to be thought of inseperable.
Listen all of you who think that it is wrong to even hint that a female's way of dressing up is "against women," and "mysogynist," sure there are men whom sexually abuse, or rape, or harass women whom are nuns, elderly wrinkled women, and women who are covered with clothing head to toe, and there are sometimes incidents in which boys or men are sexually harassed or attacked, but what has that to do with the incidents in which men do sexually abuse, harass and rape women whom are dressed to be alluring or who as some women put it themselves, dressed like "sluts"? There are men whom would do those thing to women based on what a woman is dressed like and it is pointless to say that women dressing up attractively is not related to incidents of sexual assault or harassment.

After all, there are times in which people are robbed when they are not counting their money in public, does it mean that no robbery has nothing to do with the fact that some robbery victims were counting their money in public? Does it mean that police should not tell people not to count their money in public because that is blaming the victim or potential victim? There is just such a thing as prevention of being a victim.
ctd...

Oct. 15 2011 07:17 PM
L from New York

"m from realityville "

..ctd

Oct. 15 2011 07:15 PM
L from New York

I think that an issue such as this one is taken advantage of by mysogynists because it is easy to say that blaming women for anything is mysogynist. It is a clever way of keeping women from doing intellgent things.

"Ann from south Slope"
You do bring up a good point. The thing is that I have seen cops standing no further than five feet away from a man whom was harassing a woman and they were just laughing at the scene.

By the way, the woman whom was interviewed in this segment seemed like a giggly silly girl and she has no place trying to represent all women's side of this horrible matter . She said that she cannot speak to the issue as to whether more women who dress attractively get sexually harassed or groped more, and she just thinks that it is wrong to tell women not to dress attractively.
Without researching the topic she is not speaking out of knowledge, and is making an excuese not to address the issue seriously and scientifically.

Oct. 15 2011 07:14 PM

Anything can be considered a weapon by law (even a pen), depends on use. NY Knife laws: http://attackproof.com/laws-regarding-knives.html. Sprays are good but usually not accessible in the midst of an attack so hand-to-hand skills are paramount. Awareness and avoidance are key. if you're training self-defense, stay away from sportive, patterned or grappling arts as: 1-sportive arts have no relevance to true violence; 2-typical traditional "technique" training is proven to fail during the chaos of real violence; 3-a 100 pound woman has no chance of survival using MMA-style grappling against a 200 pound man. Like an alley cat, you must gouge, penetrate, and escape. Learn adaptation and improvisation fighting skills. Women's self-defense in the workplace video tips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFneZ520Vyw&feature=player_embedded

Oct. 14 2011 12:29 PM
correction lamar

Lamar from Harlem -- the fair comparison would be white men shooting white women. This is not happening. (and white men shooting -- or even groping -- black and latino women would also be a news story, it's safe to say.)

Oct. 13 2011 09:33 PM
catherine from Park Slope

More women are injured in their homes by people they know then by strangers on the street. Domestic Violence injures more women than rapes, accidents, and muggings combined.

Come to the Safe Homes Project Annual Brooklyn Domestic Violence Candlelight Vigil to remember the 20 people killed as a result of domestic violence since last October.

Friday, October 14th, 6:30 pm sharp, outside PS 321, corner of 7th avenue and 1st street in Park Slope, Brooklyn, rain or shine. For further info call 718-499-2151

Oct. 13 2011 08:20 PM
jef klein from princeton

Telling women not to wear skirts to avoid attacks? Reminds me of when campus police told women to stay indoors at night to avoid being raped.

Oct. 13 2011 06:10 PM
Sherman from Manhattan

It seems to me there's a huge difference between groping & rape. What makes the police think that the rapist is also a groper? It sounds to me like sexism is at work here.

BTW, one of the callers referred to the gropers as "gentlemen." What dictionary is she using?

Oct. 13 2011 03:31 PM
Hannah Weismann from South Slope

The statistic that I can provide as a resident of the exact area of more than a decade (25th st. R train station) is two groping and one attempt robbery (unarmed so no harm except psychological trauma.) It is just that the attention of media and police finally caught up with the area's unsound situation seems to have a long nurtured history and long kept secret. This area where recently embraces more and more diverse population and a bit of gentrification has long been dominantly Hispanic, precisely Mexican 1st generation area. Since the demography of victims' demography --all white this time--finally called upon the attention to this otherwise nondescript and industrial area: I am an Asian American woman in my early 30's, and made a police report every time when I encountered this sort of grotesque and unsettling incident over a decade. I was not the only one who encountered the same sort of assault --this was an Afro-American woman and the perpetrator was a central American male. Yet it never made any headline or radio show to prompt general attention. Instead I was mildly chastised by cops who drove me home after the attempt robbery report 2yrs ago.

In two cases of groping that I ran into, the perpetrators behavior was identical whereas those were two separate incidents regarding times and places. Both groped me from behind when they cycled by. Apparently they were targeting pedestrians as myself while they were on the bicycle. Both of them were central Americans--highly likely to be Mexicans. I was so shocked --it was before 8pm--that I could not walk afterwards. The cops told me I should not have walked at night. This was 12 yrs ago.

The attempt robbery: the perpetrator stalked and got hold of me from behind and insisted that I surrender money. I wiggled away and called help before I surrendered anything but he groped me while he was threatening me to be silent. So I was not completely unharmed. It was a Black male with Caribbean accent.

When it comes to groping, I don't want to generalize, yet I had other cases. One in Manhattan midtown, and the other was my hometown Washington DC. When I summarize all the perpetrators were Central American males, there is something we cannot just let go by saying 'we should not stereotype' before this groperism from the region, because my understanding is it has something to do with the region's very tolerant culture(?) for this sort of violation by males. I wonder if it is considered to be just mischief or something. All the more, those who grope should penalize severely so that they would understand that we are never tolerant for this sort of behavior in the USA regardless of color of their targets.

Oct. 13 2011 10:56 AM

@ Harbor Fitness on 5th Ave and 15th St in RSVP to jodih@harborfitness.com

5- Week Self-Defense for Adult Women & Transpeople
Saturdays, 3:00-5:30 pm
October 15- November 12

Oct. 13 2011 10:49 AM
bernie from bklyn

c'mon JULIE....if women in bed stuy were being groped there would be the same attention paid. that is, some attention in the media and no real attention by the nypd.
and how many black women smile at white people? the same if not less than the reverse. you're thinking should go both ways

Oct. 13 2011 10:38 AM
Alston Weekes

Hey I live in Bed Stuy. Thanks for the diss some of us live here because we want to.

Oct. 13 2011 10:37 AM
Fuva from Harlemworld

JULIE, well put.

Oct. 13 2011 10:32 AM
MJ from Crown Heights, Brooklyn

This very same incident happened to me in the summer of 2009 in Gramercy Park. I was walking down 18th Street from Irving Place to 3rd Avenue to grab a cab on a Saturday Nite after midnight. A Latino man was walking on the opposite street in the opposite direction. I looked at him to acknowledge him as he was looking at me. Once he passed me and in a matter of seconds, he came from behind, lifted my skirt and groped me. I turned around and screamed at the top of my lungs, at that point he had already ran up the street, but kept looking back at me. In my grown age and my travels to dangerous places in the world (documentarian), never had anything of the sort happened to me. I live in Crown Heights near a homeless shelter where my eyes are always peeled, but for some reason, that night, my defenses were down. Possibly because it was late and although the block was kind of desolate, I was still in one of the ritziest neighborhoods of lower Manhattan - where you think these things won't happen.

Oct. 13 2011 10:32 AM
Tom O'Hara from Malverne, Long Island

To clarify my earlier comment, you grasp the key in a way that, when you make a fist, the business end protrudes through your fingers just beneath your knuckles. Also like the comment by another listener about having a whistle on your key chain.

Oct. 13 2011 10:28 AM
K9WaTch from Kensington, Brooklyn

A free Self-Defense class will be offered at the King's Bay Y (Prospect Avenue Windsor Terrace Branch) on Sunday October 23rd from 1-3 p.m.

K9WaTch will be there to answer questions and to involve volunteers. Please find K9WaTch on the web at www.K9WaTch.org

Dog owners and non-dog owners are needed to join our ranks before we launch our program!

Oct. 13 2011 10:28 AM
desdemona finch from Brooklyn

A few days ago, I came across a teenager relieving himself on a tree on 14th street between 6th and 7th Avenue in front of his girlfriend no less. I said, "For the love of Christ really loudly." He said, "You just like what you see."

Also, last weekend, I busted an older grandfatherly man leering at a young woman who "dared" to wear shorts on 7th Avenue in the heart of Park Slope. He was eyeing her like a piece of meat.

Men need to be more sensitive about what's happening and act like civilized beings.

Back in June around the time the first assault happened and Anthony Weiner's debacle was in the news, I was at a fundraiser in Prospect Park for a terrific concert series and a very drunk middle-aged man started talking to me about my chest, genitals, etc. In the middle of a fundraiser of all places!!! I wasn't wearing anything suggestive.

Oct. 13 2011 10:24 AM
Julie from Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn

I live in Bed-Stuy and run around Prospect Park every day. I have not changed my behavior at all. Everyone everywhere needs to take precaution all the time. It's getting attention because it's in Park Slope area. Park Slope needs to get a clue. And white people in Park Slope need to smile at people who don't look like them a little more. I am not saying smile to prevent sexual assault. In fact I would say slice a man who comes near you with aggression if at all possible. Rather, I am saying there is pervasive entitlement and privilege that makes outrage and reporting on this a little hard to take. It's the same Park Slope folks who come to Bed-Stuy and want $15 chunks of specialty cheese. It's a whole eco-system that creates crime and attention to crime and reactions to crime (the don't wear skirts thing is the dumbest).

Oct. 13 2011 10:24 AM
m from realityville

ladies who wanna wear your skirts, get over yourselves. if the perp went after people wearing purple, cops would warn people wearing purple. the reality is, the man needs to be caught. he's not gonna listen to a cop saying "don't grope". the most cops can do is warn women. nobody is saying it's your fault if you wear a skirt, just that the reality is, there are irrational, crazy men out there who don't care one inch about your rights. so weigh them and your priorities in light of the reality for the time being.

Oct. 13 2011 10:24 AM
Eleanor Geryk

I lived on the shady side of East Village during the late '70s and '80s - this is how we were taught to use the keys: stick each key between your fingers, so that they stick out from your knuckles, if you are accosted, and unable to run, punch the accoster as hard as possible, keys out. Theoretically, the violator will think that you might have something lethal - like a knife - and at least pause long enough for you to scream and get away.

Oct. 13 2011 10:24 AM

This paranoid over-reaction is empowering the male abuser(s), and more broadly empowering patriarchal culture. We should be decrying these acts and these abusers in the media, not panicking.

Oct. 13 2011 10:23 AM
Asa from Manhattan

I am surprised at the condemnation of the police warnings. If the assailants are targeting girls in skirts then they should not ware skirts. It is the guys committing the crime who don't care about the fact that groping is wrong and skirts would just bait them.

Oct. 13 2011 10:23 AM
Cynthia from Park slope

In response to this idea about police messaging telling women to alter what they wear... In Toronto a few months ago, police said the same thing in response to sexual assault and women were so upset, they started a Slut Walk, which was an enormous public critique. People took to the streets, precisely to critique that police message. The Slut Walk marches are now taking place in many countries. Maybe time for one in New York.

Oct. 13 2011 10:22 AM
Lamar from Harlem

boo hoo. White women getting groped is so scary. Black and latino teens are killing one another and not a peep. With guns! Use a key to fight off a pistol.

Oct. 13 2011 10:22 AM
Brenda from NYC

How outrageous to suggest that women modify their dress to combat violence. Is this police response in direct response to the "Slut Walk?" I natter more here: http://heresheisboys.com/2011/10/04/whats-what-walk/

Oct. 13 2011 10:21 AM
Irene from park slope

I think that since one woman spoke up about being attacked, more women started speaking up. The amounts of attacks being reported is not due to a spike in crime, but to more women speaking up. Groping and sexual harassment happens all the time.

Oct. 13 2011 10:21 AM
Julie from Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn

Oct. 13 2011 10:21 AM
Lauren from queens

Why aren't women carrying knives!? Keys don't make me feel safe. I carry a small blade.

Oct. 13 2011 10:21 AM
Ann from south Slope

I'd like to know what purpose it serves to have police cars parked on the well-lit, busy streets with their lights flashing? This is supposed to stop the molesters? Do they think they'll catch a guy attacking a woman coming out of Union Market at 8pm?

Oct. 13 2011 10:21 AM
john from office

Yourgo from Astoria

How does a sex crime fit into your theory??

Oct. 13 2011 10:20 AM
be_aware from kensington

on the key thing - what I was told many years ago: if you are attacked, aim your keys to the face/eyes/neck where they will hurt.

Oct. 13 2011 10:19 AM
Judith Rahilly

Thank you Kate and Leonard for addressing this important problem. However, please don't guess about how to defend yourself. I heard a couple of words of advice that may have actually been wrong. I'm glad local training was referred to (I was going to mention CAE), and I hope you will hear from them. If you don't, please urge listeners to contact them. Please don't make comments about what to do that are guesses, and I believe leading listeners astray, most particularly using keys in the groin. Yes, the groin is a tactical point, but by no means the most important. And the keys would be used on the face. But what if you don't have them handy. Again, please contact CAE.

Oct. 13 2011 10:19 AM
Danielle

Why does this guest keep laughing?!?!

Oct. 13 2011 10:19 AM

@ Harbor Fitness on 5th Ave and 15th St in RSVP to jodih@harborfitness.com

5- Week Self-Defense for Adult Women & Transpeople
Saturdays, 3:00-5:30 pm
October 15- November 12

Oct. 13 2011 10:19 AM
John from office

Folks, the answer is more policing and allowing the police to do their job. But instead they are stopped from do it. Like the issue of stop and frisk.

These perps appear to be "of Color"

Oct. 13 2011 10:18 AM
Yourgo from Astoria

When people dont have money, as in times of recession, crime goes up. Which makes more criminals which leads to more crime.
Feels like NYC from the early 90's.

Oct. 13 2011 10:18 AM
paul larosa from park slope

i've been a crime reporter and lived in nyc my entire life. it's not what you wear...it's how aware you are when you walk down the street. turn around and see who's behind you. if a perp knows you know he's there, he's less likely to strike. and keys, yes, are a good defense if you have nothing else. use them as you would a knife. walk in the middle of the street, not next to building you could be dragged into and finally read, 'the gift of fear' by gavin debecker....great book about how you should trust your fear instinct and not squash it as many people do. be aware is the best advice.

Oct. 13 2011 10:17 AM
John from manhattan

Rather than keys, both men and women should carry a whistle on their keychain. It is more startling, loud and likely to drawn the attention of others during a crime than yelling at an attacker.

Oct. 13 2011 10:17 AM
Tom O'Hara from Malverne, Long Island

Re comments on using a key for self-defense, you grasp the key in a way where the business end protrudes through your middle two fingers. The, if necessary, you punch your attacker wherever you can that will do the most good-- preferably in the face.

Oct. 13 2011 10:17 AM
Really? From Bed Stuy

Brian, some people choose to live in Bed Stuy. By saying that a low salary is the reason a person would choose to live in Bed Stuy is rather insulting.

Oct. 13 2011 10:17 AM
Diane from Park Slope

Why, as a recent caller just did, refer to these men as "gentlemen"???

Oct. 13 2011 10:17 AM
Courtney from Manhattan

The "key" technique is widely known to be highly ineffective. You would have to be dangerously close to your attacker in order to use it as a weapon.

Oct. 13 2011 10:17 AM
Mary from nyc

Keys? Go buy yourself some mace girl... and take some self defense classes. I did when I lived in iffy Bklyn nabes in the early 90s.

Oct. 13 2011 10:16 AM
Courtney from Manhattan

Oct. 13 2011 10:15 AM
annie from nyc

i hear that krav maga is a great martial art, for self defense, sans weapons...who wants to mess with the israeli army?

Oct. 13 2011 10:15 AM
bernie from bklyn

because of the burden of compstat, the nypd has little to no incentive to seriously investigate and/or solve these crimes. i live in bay ridge. the police are skeptical about ALL crimes because that means that the stats will reflect real crime in their precinct. whenever they show up to the scene they instantly try and talk down the victim and have them lessen the severity of the crime committed upon them. i.e.- being robbed at gunpoint as opposed to someone stealing your phone from your hand and running.. i've experienced this first hand.
nypd- get rid of compstat and do your job and solve crimes!

Oct. 13 2011 10:15 AM
Fuva from Harlemworld

Excellent current topic, Brian; discourse that can be critical to the safety of women under the current threat. Thanks.

But I also think the Zuccotti "clean-up" should have been on the docket today as it could prove a critical turning point. Should OWS temporarily vacate (totally or partially) for cleaning?

Oct. 13 2011 10:15 AM
Lisa

Brian, I was taught to carry keys with one pointing out to stab the eyeballs of an attacker. It's also so you can get into a car or house much quicker without fumbling in one's purse.

Oct. 13 2011 10:15 AM
Suzanne from queens

Bring back the hat pin! Much better than keys.

Oct. 13 2011 10:15 AM
Courtney from Manhattan

Oct. 13 2011 10:15 AM
anonyme

I've been living in NYC for 30+ years and though it's probably been 10 years since I was groped, I came to understand it was part of life in the big city - notable attacks were on the UWS and on the F train.

They are not "gentlemen!"

Oct. 13 2011 10:15 AM
Suzanna from Sunset Park

I have been comforted by the presence of the Guardian Angels and the Brooklyn Bike Service, especially as I live in the area where some of the gropings occurred.

Oct. 13 2011 10:14 AM
Steve

Bed-Stuy isn't the affordable bywater you imply it to be, Brian. It makes you sound a little out of touch to cite Bed-Stuy as you imagine it, like it's still the '80s or '90s.

Also, why don't we -- as a society -- just teach all of our women to defend themselves from a young age? We're practically the one species on the planet where the women are the "weaker sex" ... and I think it's a cultural side-effect, not a natural one.

Oct. 13 2011 10:14 AM
Mike from Brooklyn

Keys: put the keys in the ball of your fist. allow the keys to protrude from between your fingers - business end out. go for the face.

Oct. 13 2011 10:14 AM
Danielle

Is it just me or is this subject being laughed at a bit during this segment? I feel like the guest giggling about using her key for defense is totally inappropriate.

Oct. 13 2011 10:13 AM
Susan from nyc

Just a tip on the keys: hold your hand in a fist and put keys between all fingers.

Oct. 13 2011 10:13 AM
Shereen from Fort Greene, Brooklyn

I live in Fort Greene and I've been following this news item closely. I am astonished and disgusted that the message coming from the police is for women "not to wear skirts or dresses." The message ought, instead, to be "men should NOT be groping and assaulting women. EVER." Their current message feeds into and enables misogynist ideologies to continue.

Oct. 13 2011 10:12 AM
Bryony from Park Slope

I read recently that the gang the Latin Kings have taken over the ball courts by IS51 on 5th ave and 4th Streets. Is anyone investigating whether this is gang related?

Oct. 13 2011 10:11 AM
Laura

I think its ridiculus police are reccomending women to dress 'appropriately'. implying that the women groped were deserving of what happened because of what they were wearing. Read this about the petitions for the NYPD to stop accusing women of 'deserving' rape / ect because of the way they are dressed: http://safeslope.tumblr.com/post/10771588592/an-open-letter-to-the-nypd-72nd-and-78th-precincts

Oct. 13 2011 10:11 AM
Maude from South Slope

I have definitely changed my behavior, not gone out late at night, no tight clothes, short skirts, and TRYING TO FIND A SELF DEFENSE class--I know there is one from CAE (center for anti-violence education). any other classes the guest knows of in the area?

Oct. 13 2011 10:10 AM
street47_f from 47 street bet. 6/7 aves

omg, i had no idea!!! and I live on 47th...

BTW: Police telling women not to wear skirts - Slut March anyone???

Oct. 13 2011 10:09 AM