next episode »

Thursday, October 13, 2011

In WNYC’s new podcast series, award-winning actor Alec Baldwin gives the listener unique entrée into the lives of artists, policy makers and performers.

Alec sidesteps the predictable by taking listeners inside the dressing rooms, apartments, and offices of people such as comedian Chris Rock, political strategist Ed Rollins and Oscar winner Michael Douglas.

Every two weeks, Alec pursues great conversations in unexpected places to find out what motivates his guests, how they feel about what they do and what keeps them up at night. Here’s the Thing: Listen to what happens when a man you think you know surprises you.

Sign up for the "Here's The Thing" with Alec Baldwin newsletter and subscribe to the podcast to get the latest on upcoming episodes.

Janis from Vermont

I wish very much this aired more often, and that it were much longer. Alec is an exceptional interviewer- he prods the conversation forward at just the right moments, asks for clarification at just the right times, lets the speaker ramble when appropriate. I have listened to all of the segments, most of them repeatedly, and cannot believe it has sparked an interest not only in political theory, but economics! Economics is interesting! How many years of education and I didn't know this? This podcast opened my eyes. Also, I love the varied guests- I've not found a pattern in them- which means I don't know what to look forward to biweekly except an exceptional interview.

Alec, I'm sorry I ever thought you were "just another Baldwin." I knew your voice was delightful- I didn't realize your wit & conversation were as well. I don't agree with you at every point, but I will not miss an episode. (There are some lovely suggestions in the comments below, if you ever run out of ideas...) Are you sure you couldn't release this daily? :)

Jun. 19 2012 04:54 AM
Wendy Perry from London ON Canada

I've never been a fan of radio interviews but all of these were brilliant. Alec is a fantastic interviewer and the guests have been very interesting. I do wish they were longer though…I could listen to Alec ask people questions for hours! I especially love it when Alec laughs…it's very infectious. I can't wait for the next one.

Apr. 26 2012 10:43 PM

Sigourney Weaver
Rita Moreno
Cicely Tyson
Ruta Lee
Teri Garr
Natalie Cole
Jennifer Grant (her 2011 book – Good Stuff: a Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant)
Lauren Bacall
Maureen O'Hara
Joan Collins

Apr. 16 2012 01:27 AM
Wendy from Minneapolis

I really like the positive approach and unusual questions. Baldwin's intelligence and sense of humor shine through. Great interviewer. Baldwin knows when to listen and when to move the conversation forward. It's like listening to two people talk at a party.
For some reason, there was a lot of interrupting in the Lorne Michaels interview. Other than that one, Baldwin is better than many interviewers at letting people finish their thoughts.
What's the jazz that opens the podcast?

Feb. 11 2012 08:52 PM
lorigibb from east coast

Will there be a ha podcast on12/19/11???

Dec. 18 2011 09:59 AM
Laura from Norman, OK

Love this podcast and YOU, Mr. Baldwin. Please conduct/air interviews more frequently!!

Dream guests:

Sting
Robert Redford
Jon Stewart
Brian WIlliams

Nov. 27 2011 12:52 PM
SMcQ from Ohio

This is fascinating. Compelling and so well done. Time flies as you listen, and you want to hear more! Guest suggestions- Ricky Gervais, Liam Neeson, Steve Buscemi, Paul Giamatti, Helen Miran

Nov. 27 2011 09:49 AM
Janine Blaeloch from Seattle

Ever since AB took over for K Andersen on Studio 360, my very favorite podcast, I have been hoping he'd find more space on radio. He is a natural, with his intellect, curiosity, subtle humor, and silky voice! I love this, and in the first episodes he helped me glean real insight from Ed Rollins, whose politics I dispute, and feel empathy and respect for Michael Douglas, whom I have never liked. It's no wonder I like Alec and Kurt Andersen--both have the gift of REAL, dynamic conversation.

Nov. 12 2011 09:56 PM
david koblesky from Chicago

very very enjoyable. the pace is great. alec keeps it moving, which i love. a lot of interviewers let people talk far too long and i like the way alec interrupts with intelligent questions - often in the middle of a sentence. i look forward to hearing a lot of these.

Nov. 10 2011 07:05 PM
JoJo from Manama, Bahrain

Id love to hear you interview Mia Farrow and Barbra Streisand.

Nov. 09 2011 02:30 AM
Jennifer from Brooklyn

How about David Bowie?

Nov. 07 2011 05:48 PM
PWill214 from San Diego

Great show. I only wish it aired more frequently. Bi-weekly just isn't enough! Alex does at great job at engaging his guests and appears to be well versed on him subject matter. Can we get a show every week please?

Nov. 07 2011 03:08 PM
Suzanne from Plainfield

Great podcast. I cannot wait until the next one. I would love to hear Alec interview Mario Cuomo. He's the best public speaker this country has known in a long time. PS LOVE Alec's promos for the fund drive & I miss them "coffee is for pledgers!"

Nov. 06 2011 02:22 PM
Ron in la from Los Angeles

I'd love to hear you interview Barbra Streisand

Nov. 03 2011 10:42 PM
Bill Realman Stella from New Jersey

I see that many people have requested *Famous Names* as interview subjects (and I can't resist adding Elaine Stritch to the list). But what I'd really be interested in is all the people Alex Baldwin must know whose names we don't know. He shows up in so many venues (NPR, WNYC, PBS, TCM, NBC) that I have to believe he knows as many fascinating behind-the-scenes people and maybe-never-starring actors with stories we haven't heard. My only caveat is that there's a reason why some people aren't in the public eye, which might extend to their being somehow difficult to interview (intentionally or not). But Mr Baldwin may just be waiting for someone to express interest in hearing from the other people he knows to include them in the podcast; I'm interested.

Nov. 03 2011 05:17 PM
Zan from CT

I would love to listen in on a chat with Bill Watterson, creator of "Calvin & Hobbes."

Nov. 02 2011 10:33 PM
Jordan from Pittsburgh, PA

Great show. I would love to hear you interview Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, Dustin Hoffman, Tony Bennett or Henry Kissinger. Good Luck!

Nov. 02 2011 02:48 PM
Reggie Ollen

Get the rosetta stone interview: Jack Nicholson. Nobody ever gets it. You can.

Nov. 01 2011 11:24 PM
Alla

Looking forward

Oct. 29 2011 02:45 AM
Mary from California

Loved the first episode with Michael Douglas. Thank you for this wonderful show.

Interview Requests: Mikhail Baryshnikov, Michael Palin, Adam Beach, Meryl Streep, Carrie Fisher, Joe Pesci, Catherine O'Hara, Kevin Spacey, Tom Hanks, Juliette Binoche, Kathey Bates, Dan Brown, Sofia Coppola, Sean Penn, Benicio del Toro, Julie Taymor.

:-]

Oct. 27 2011 06:40 PM
Michael Newton from New Orleans

Im a big fan of the show and wish you continued success. David Mamet would be my suggestion for a segment.

Oct. 27 2011 03:03 PM
Diane from Aurora, IL

I really enjoyed the interview. I am only sorry it was over so soon. I look forward to more.

Oct. 26 2011 05:11 PM
Michael from nyc

Anyone maybe know the reason why I can't download to an iphone? I subscribed to the podcast but it won't let me pull it from iTunes to the iphone.

Oct. 25 2011 10:39 PM
Fitz from San Francisco, California

I love the podcast, particularly your relaxing tone. Some guests I would love for you to interview are Michael Mann, Russell Crowe, Clint Eastwood, the Farelly Bros, Gen. Anthony Zinni, Bill Murray & Ron Paul. Pretty broad list, I know.

Oct. 25 2011 08:39 PM
Mike from Green Bay

Really nice first show with Michael Douglas, good work!

Some votes for future guests: Christopher Walken, Jon Stewart, Salman Rushdie, Wes Anderson

Oct. 25 2011 05:25 PM
chase from Tampa, FL

Amazing first show. Alec is a great interviewer. Very intimate, insightful---can't wait for more.

Oct. 25 2011 10:32 AM
Mary from Florida

Love it Alec! Great idea! Subscribed on my Itunes.

Oct. 24 2011 09:15 PM
Maggie Williams from San Diego, CA

Finally, interviews the reveal more than superficial aspects of individuals who chose a career in the entertainment business.

Oct. 17 2011 07:47 PM
CYNTHIA from Oakland, NJ

I cannot wait to add this to my shortlist of podcast faves!! Love Alec Baldwin -thanks

Oct. 16 2011 03:28 PM
Roger from New York, NY

Looking forward to this a lot. Alec is a ridiculously well-informed guy, with a lot of entertaining insight.

Also, listening to his voice paired with Douglas' would be fantastic just to listen to.

Oct. 16 2011 01:00 AM
Brooke from San Francisco

I'm really looking forward to this! He's an interesting and funny guy, and I'm sure he'll bring out interesting stuff from his guests.

Oct. 13 2011 05:57 PM

@Joe From NY, The RSS links is here: http://www.wnyc.org/feeds/shows/heresthething

Oct. 13 2011 11:56 AM
Joe from NY

How do we subscribe if we do not use itunes?

Oct. 13 2011 11:41 AM
Sarah Stone from Waterloo, ON Canada

I love Alec Baldwin! This is going to be awesome!

Oct. 13 2011 09:57 AM