Open Phones: #HashtagReport

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

We've got a Twitter assignment for you! Here's how it works: select a Twitter hashtag of your choice to follow all morning, then call in at 11:40 to let us know what you found out. What's the conversation like, how did it evolve, what'd you learn? If you're participating, tweet the hashtag you're watching to @brianlehrer and we'll retweet it for others to see!

Some Resources to Get You Started: Search Twitter | Tweets the BL Show is Following | Trend Map

Alice Zinnes from Park Slope, Brooklyn

I have been following #OccupyDRBC. The DRBC (the Delaware River Basin Commission) plans to issue fracking regulations on Nov. 21, giving the green light to fracking in this pristine watershed that feeds 90% of NYC's drinking water. #OccupyDRBC aims to bring people down to the DRBC special meeting in Trenton, NJ on Nov. 21.

Oct. 12 2011 12:01 PM
Inquisigal from Brooklyn

Here's a crowd-sourcing exercise: find out how many Lehrer Show listeners actually use or care about Twitter.

Brian, love your show, but your obsession with Twitter is just too much. I work every day, and can not be interrupted by endlessly surfing the Internet, and looking at Tweets and Facebook pings. It makes me wonder how many other of your listeners are tired of hearing how Twitter is a must, when many of us have too many responsibilities to take care of and can't be distracted by all this excess information.

I tune to shows like yours to get my news, and commend you and your staff for great segments every day. However, I wish you'd stop operating under the delusion that everyone is as reliant on Twitter as your staff is. I, for one, still like getting my news from professionals who have fact-checked and done research.

Oct. 12 2011 11:58 AM
Debbie from NYC

It's National Day On Writing and here's a link explaining:

Oct. 12 2011 11:51 AM
Debbie from NYC

October 20th, is The National Day of Writing. To celebrate, writers of all ages and types (kids, professionals, lyricists, etc), are encouraged to Tweet under the hashtag: #whyIwrite

Spread the word! Tweet why you write & tell your kids to do so as well. :)

Oct. 12 2011 11:48 AM
@Roccoa from Poughkeepise, NY

Also starting @ noon follow #HachettePrev A group of librarians will be tweeting about new books from Hachette Publishers

Oct. 12 2011 11:48 AM
Rocco Staino from Poughkeepsie, NY

Brian,
I have been following #ebksmt which is the hashtag for the E Book Summit taking place today online by Library & School Library Journals (11th floor of your building). Learning how libraries are trying to provide ebooks to patrons. Also get to know what keynote speakers are suggeasting.

Also following #NYCC for NY Comic Con that starts tomorrow.

Please when giving the phone # please give digits for WNYC for we cellphone people.

Oct. 12 2011 11:44 AM
John A.

ChemTrails! Building7Conspiracy! ZeroPointEnergy! HashedTaggers!
Seriously,
The Internet requires an active hand and diligence to click through the oddball stuff, which is everywhere.

Oct. 12 2011 11:42 AM
Katherine from Brooklyn

I'm following #MarketsReform.

Oct. 12 2011 11:29 AM
Adam from Brooklyn

I've been tracking the #ISwabbedForAmit hashtag. Amit Gupta is a 32 year old entrepreneur in San Francisco who was recently diagnosed with Leukemia. The chances for someone of South Asian decent finding a bone marrow match is 1 in 20,000... for caucasians it's 8 in 10. (Amit is Indian).

In the past few days friends of Amit's and other entrepreneurs and have created a $30,000 to reward a bone marrow donor if one is found, and twitter is beginning to buzz. People all over the country have been tweeting #ISwabbedForAmit after swabbing their cheeks to see if they're a match. Anyone can get a free donor match kit from marrow.org, swab for Amit, and help save his life.

Oct. 12 2011 11:24 AM
John A.

Not properly a tag, a user:
-->
Your first guest has given a list of interesting OWS related websites there.

Oct. 12 2011 11:24 AM
Kathleen from Westchester

Hash tags I searched
ImpeachCongress - Self explanatory
JobShouts - Using Twitter o find a job

Oct. 12 2011 11:23 AM
kiven

3 topic you should cover on your show.
(1) pitition for the achnowledgement of the native american genocides.

(2) Depleted Uranium Dirty Bombs used and its legacy .

(3) the US boycotts the UN Durban 3 conference on combating racism

Oct. 12 2011 11:19 AM
Edward from NJ

Brian, unless Fleetwood Mac is suddenly huge on twitter, it's "ree-ah'-nah". ;-)

Oct. 12 2011 11:13 AM
Ann Honey Moss from clearlake, CA

this is the stupidest topic. It surpasses most of your simpleton hashtag crap. How about some reporting? Oh, your out for donations.

Oct. 12 2011 11:12 AM
Bill S from UWS

Brian, et al, if you have not already seen it, check out http://trendsmap.com/ - a very cool tool that shows twitter hashtags and keywords on a Google map, supposedly in real-time. Very interesting to see what's trending in different cities, regions around the world.

Oct. 12 2011 10:18 AM
Dano from Kearny, NJ

Sorry Brian...I cannot use Twitter due to a mental block. When I was a child an Aunt called me a 'twit' and hurt my feelings so deeply that I cannot use that site.

Thank God I don't have "google eyes!"

Oct. 12 2011 10:11 AM