Anita Hill on Gender, Race, and Home

Monday, October 10, 2011

When Anita Hill testified during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings in 1991, she sparked a national conversation on sexual harassment and women's equality in politics and the workplace. Now she turns her attention to another symbol of economic success and equality—the home. Reimagining Equality: Stories of Gender, Race and Finding Home looks at how the current housing crisis is devastating to families, communities, and cities.

Anita Hill
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

The Truth from Becky

Agreed

Oct. 10 2011 01:21 PM
sanych

In my experience, the Truth lies somewhere in the middle...

In this case, between John and Becky... and Anita Hill...

Oct. 10 2011 01:14 PM
The Truth from Becky

and on the heels of the comment by sanych, I refer you to the movie "Claudine" John, so you can see where the government started this.

Also John, I don't know why you keep making sweeping comments like that. You have tunnel vision. You take the one group of people who fit your argument and lump them into these crazy statements that make no sense. Their are endless poor whites and puerto ricans riding that particular line as well.

Oct. 10 2011 12:50 PM
Amy from Manhattan

1 of the main things I remember from the Thomas hearing was Sen. Simpson asking Prof. Hill why she didn't quit her job after the events she described. It made me wondering if any of the senators questioning her had ever not know where their next job was coming from. And I think this is relevant to the political/economic divide that led to the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Oct. 10 2011 12:40 PM
The Truth from Becky

I don't know why we continue to discuss race issues in this forum just to sell books.

Oct. 10 2011 12:38 PM
john from office

Becky, grew up poor in NY, I am not blind. I see what is occuring infront of me. Take the subway at 11:00 am someday. Black women dressed for work, black men in teenagers clothes.

Oct. 10 2011 12:35 PM
sanych

john from office,

It is because they (with their children) qualify for welfare and other social programs.

These programs contributed to the destruction of black family structure, as was initially noted by Daniel Patrick Moynihan. Actually, Anita Hill mentions him in her book, but in a somewhat dismissive tone.

Oct. 10 2011 12:34 PM
The Truth from Becky

Also, don't know where you live John, but there are economic levels in all families of all races where households are ran by men, some by women most by both.

If I were as ignorant as you I would ask the question: "why do white men kill their wives instead of divorcing them?"

Oct. 10 2011 12:32 PM
Sonne Hernandez from Manhattan

Could Anita discuss the problem of over population in general and as a serious future problem in the world as to the "home" situation. Resource seems to be linked

Oct. 10 2011 12:32 PM
John from office

She will never say anything negative about Clinton. Remember the Goldman Sachs gave Clintos daughter a job, a no show job.

Her Ideas sound like another feel good project.

Oct. 10 2011 12:32 PM
The Truth from Becky

No john you are not only racist, but ignorant..because you make grand sweeping generalizations..not sure of your race but you need to educate yourself more on the situation of the Black American, since you are so vocal about their lives.

Oct. 10 2011 12:30 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Could Prof. Hill go back to "The Jeffersons" for a moment & discuss the meaning of the fact that Louise stayed home & had a maid? She was a "stay-at-home" wife but not a housewife.

Oct. 10 2011 12:28 PM
Fuva from Harlemworld

Moynihan was way more wrong than right, citing symptoms as causes.

Oct. 10 2011 12:27 PM
john from office

I notice alot of black women who support their men. I dont see that in other groups. The load is not carried by both. I know I know I am a racist,

Oct. 10 2011 12:26 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

TO Oscar,

I wish in 1949 we had gone to Palestine instead of NY. A house in Israel today is more expensive than a house in Manhattan. And definitely a lot more than one in Cairo or Damascus.

Oct. 10 2011 12:25 PM
Laura from UWS

I'd be so happy to hear Anita Hill as a regular guest.

These issues are so very important.

Oct. 10 2011 12:24 PM
sanych

Mozilo of Countrywide presents himself as someone who enabled many to "own" a home.

He enriched himself, but in the end, it is American taxpayers had to pay for people who did not qualify getting the mortgages.

The problem is that there are two extremes - profiteers and "do-gooders" (I put Anita Hill in the later category) - and we, the middle class, are the one who are in the middle.

Oct. 10 2011 12:23 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

When I was brought from a refugee camp on GErmany to the slums of Brooklyn in 1949, we considered "moving up" as getting a place in the newly constructed public housing projects!

Then, when the impoverished black peasantry from the South rushed in, suddenly the housing projects were considered the root of all evil.

It's all nonsense.

Oct. 10 2011 12:21 PM
Oscar from Ny

Basically ny is the new palestine.

Oct. 10 2011 12:19 PM
John from office

Southern Queens has been hit hard by the subprime mortgage crisis. I handled closings in the 80's and was surprised at the lack of income of the people approved. Please ask her about the Clinton push on home ownership which became the crisis of today.

Oct. 10 2011 12:16 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

Since when do the poor have a right to own a home? I'm poor and I don't own a home. If you can buy a home with cash, or have a hefty down payment and a relatively secure job, that's different. If not, it was crazy to borrow, and crazier to lend to a person with no visible means of repayment.

Oct. 10 2011 12:14 PM