Your Subway Photos

Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:00 AM

An image from Bruce Davidson's "Subway" (Aperture Press/Bruce Davidson)

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR PICTURES! Bruce Davidson was on the Brian Lehrer Show Tuesday, October 18th - Listen Here

Subway, Bruce Davidson's classic collection of New York City photography, is being re-released this fall by Aperture books. On Tuesday, October 18th, Bruce will join Brian Lehrer to talk about his photographs, and we want you to submit your most iconic subway shot. Head underground (or to an elevated track!) and snap a picture, then submit it here. Bruce will take a look at your submissions, and we'll feature some of our favorites online and on-air. By the way, regulations for what kind of photography is legal on MTA trains and platforms can be found here. Short version: it's legal, as long as you don't have extra equipment.

EXHIBIT: Aperture Gallery presents Bruce Davidson: Subway—a groundbreaking series documenting a unique moment in the cultural fabric of New York City, coinciding with the highly anticipated re-release of the book published in 1986. Opening reception: Thursday, October 13, 6:00-8:00 pm Exhibition on view: Monday, October 3-Saturday, October 29, 2011

»» NOTE: Below is a slideshow of the 40 most recent images. If you want to see the full batch of submissions click here!

Tags:

More in:

Richard Smyth from Maine - http://digitalphotographytutorials4u.org

Hi Could you tell me (If you know) if there are any more exhibitions planned and where ? thanks Richard

Feb. 10 2012 06:35 AM
David Simonton from Raleigh, NC

I've been a photographer for more than forty years. Bruce Davidson's work has been a steady, sturdy presence ever since I first picked up my camera. In his New York photographs in particular, he has distilled and conveyed the entire spectrum of human emotions. His pictures are full of life! and, for so many of us, they are life enriching. He is the most humane of photographers, and the very definition of a "visual artist."

Oct. 17 2011 10:58 AM
Matthew Spencer from Greensboro, NC

When will Bruce Davidson be on Air to discuss Subway and the images submitted? Looking forward to listening in!

Oct. 13 2011 08:58 PM
Jody Avirgan

The limit for slideshows is 40 images, so we've included a link to see all of the submissions as individual photos. It's here:

@Barrie - it would be great to be able to comment on an individual picture but that's not possible on our website at the moment. I've suggested it to the web team!

We'll post a slideshow soon of our "Editor's Picks"

Thanks for all these amazing photographs!

Oct. 12 2011 02:49 PM
E. Herman / IdiosyncraticPhotography.com from Manhattan

Julie is right, I think. I e-mailed the show last week, asking for a limit. Got no reply, so I cut down my very many subway photos to a dozen. Then, in deference to Julie (and everyone else), pared it to six or seven. Apologies if that's still too many, but it would have been better to have a limit set from on high. (I've regrets already about a couple of shot I've left out. On the one hand. On the other, submitting multiple entries takes a lot of patience.)

Oct. 11 2011 01:40 PM
julie from rome

as i look through the photos it seems that the same people are submitting their whole archive of subway photos! shouldn't there be a limit of how many photos one can submit so as others can have a chance to see their work as well? since we can only see 40 at a time!

Oct. 11 2011 03:06 AM
Matthew Spencer from Greensboro, NC

Saw this posted on Twitter and it coincided with my first subway trip to Times Square. Some great submissions! More please!

Oct. 10 2011 09:20 PM
Lindsey

I'm a constant shooter of subway life. Can't wait to see it.

Oct. 10 2011 04:38 PM
Barrie from NYC

To WNYC: When you fix the photo submission program so it can display all submitted photos (re the comment/note you posted saying you were working on this), and not only 40 at a time, can you also fix it so that people can write comments under each photo? That would make it a lot easier to write comments and to know how comments people write go with which photo, or how to read the comments while looking at the photo being discussed. Thank you very much.

Oct. 10 2011 03:38 PM
Jody Avirgan

@Farrish @Scott - You're right, the limit to display images is currently 40. We're working on ways to better display all the great submissions. THANKS!

Oct. 10 2011 08:18 AM
Scott

@Farrish: I think the gallery only displays 40 images (and, I'd guess, the most recent 40). This confused me too, and I wound up submitting the same picture twice because I didn't see it in the gallery.

Oct. 09 2011 05:11 PM
Farrish Carter from NYC

I'm so excited by this project as I have been shooting the subway for years. I'm noticing that my pictures from the other day, along with others that I remember, are falling off the site. Not sure if that is a tech issue or if you were aware of it but I just wanted you to know. Thanks!

Oct. 09 2011 12:51 PM
Elizabeth Zellen Ross from New York

Great shot

Oct. 09 2011 10:17 AM
Olya Turcihin from NYC

Such a great project - thank you!

Oct. 08 2011 01:45 AM
Farrish Carter from NYC

I've shot the subway for years and document it daily on my blog. As soon as I get home to my "big" computer I will upload so,e of my favs,

Oct. 07 2011 09:13 PM
James Morgan from Tianjin China (12weeksofmsg.tumblr.com)

JAMES ROMEO, Francois Ilnseher, Stephen Harmon and Lisa Futterman: amazing shots!

Oct. 07 2011 08:54 PM
james romeo from NYC EAST 78TH ST

great to date

Oct. 07 2011 11:07 AM
Jody Avirgan

Hi Everyone -
We're really overwhelmed by the reaction to this project, after only one day! Thank you, keep 'em coming. If you want to comment on a specific picture, you're best to reference the photographer's name and maybe describe the shot. As we get more and more entries, the slideshow order/numbering will change.

Anyway, thanks again, and we look forward to showing these to Bruce Davidson!

Oct. 07 2011 08:00 AM
STEVE CUMMINGS from SEATTLE

THIS IS SIMPLY AN OUTSTANDING SHOT!

Oct. 06 2011 10:24 PM
Alex from New York

I'm really looking forward to listening to the program with Bruce Davidson. He has always inspired me with his photographs.

Oct. 06 2011 01:21 PM
JAME ROMEO from NYC E &*TH AT

I HAVE PHOTOGRAPHED SUBWAY MANY YEARS LEX #6 THE MOST

Oct. 06 2011 01:04 PM
Howard from Da Bronx

This will be an interesting experiment to see how the MTA and the NYPD react to photographers in the subways, post 9/11. It hasn't always gone well for the photographers.

Oct. 06 2011 11:43 AM