2 Struck By Subway Trains

Monday, October 03, 2011

WNYC

Two subway passengers were struck by trains during the Monday morning commute.

A woman was hit by an N train at 7:43 a.m. at the 42nd Street - 7th Avenue stop and taken to Bellevue Hospital, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

There is no word on the extent of her injuries. An MTA spokesman said she appears to have jumped onto the tracks.

At 9:58 a.m., a 32-year-old man at Union Square Station slipped and his right leg went between a platform edge and the body of a No. 4 train as it was leaving the station. He was also taken to Bellevue Hospital. His injury is not life-threatening.

"There was no criminality involved," a police spokesman said. "It was not a suicide attempt. It was just an accident."

The incidents caused long delays on the 4, 5, 6, and 7 lines. Those trains are now back on schedule.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

jw from NY

It's been two months since this tragic accident and all who knew her are still shocked and grieving. Iris was a bubbly, sweet, very happy wife, mother, and friend who unfortunately fainted on a platform at the very worst of moments. We miss you, Iris, and think of you often...

Dec. 08 2011 05:16 PM
Randall

Her family and my family were good friends growing up. Our families would get together every so often. I haven't seen her in years and only just heard about this incident today but I remember Iris as a kind-hearted and very bright person. I am deeply saddened to hear of this news. I agree with HM's comment that this and the many other subway accidents that happen should serve as a wake up call to the MTA. As a New Yorker that passes through the W 42nd and 7th station everyday it never ceases to amaze me at how potentially dangerous the subway platforms are especially during crowded rush hour times with millions of irritable commuters passing though.

I travel often and recently traveled to China and it's sad to observe that a world class city like NYC falls so far behind other cities like in subway quality. Hongkong, Shanghai, Beijing, Taipei and even Barcelona all have at least barriers to prevent people from accidentally falling on the tracks. Please speak up or file a complaint to the MTA. Hopefully this tragic accident was not in vain. RIP.

Oct. 09 2011 10:22 PM
hm

Her death was so tragic and senseless...if nothing else, I would hope that it could lead to more awareness about subway safety. All her friends have been in shock all week, and I can't even imagine how her husband and young daughter are faring. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Oct. 08 2011 06:49 PM
John

I also witnessed the Union Square "accident", but all I saw was the man being dragged. Can you elborate on the fight and the chaos that ensued?

Oct. 07 2011 02:07 PM
Joseph from Brooklyn, NY

She did not make it unfortunately There was an article in the NY world journal in Chinese as she was Asian. Very sad, sorry for all of you that had to witness.

Oct. 07 2011 01:28 PM
Nikki Shelton

I witnessed the accident as well. It was pretty crowed on the platform. Everything went so fast . I was on the yellow line and she wasn't. It looked like a dive onto the tracks and I remember she was holding a news paper. She hardly moved and laid horizontally to the tracks as the N train came.

What an awful thing to have happened.

My condolences to her family and friends.

Oct. 05 2011 08:32 PM
Josh

For those who have been asking, I just spoke with a detective from the transit police. He informed me that the woman who was struck by the train did not make it.

When I asked him if they knew exactly what happened (i.e. whether she jumped or fell), he told me that everyone seemed to believe that she fell, which is what I thought I saw as well.

My condolences to her family and friends.

Oct. 05 2011 04:00 PM
Charlotte Holl

I was on the train that was right behind this one. When we arrived at the 42nd street station, after having been delayed for about 10 minutes, we were dropped on the opposite side of the platform. The doors opened onto a caution-taped area where body bags were ready and the woman was being lifted from the tracks. It's been 2 days since I've tried to find a news article on this, and I am shocked that this is the only one I could find. The scene was terrifying and witnessed by many commuters. Some peace of mind would be greatly appreciated. Is she alive? Was it an accident? Was it intentional?

Oct. 05 2011 03:38 PM
Heather

I witnessed the accident at 42nd st on Monday as well. It happened so quickly and the platform was pretty crowded. I really don't know if she jumped or fell. I actually thought it was a man based on the pants I saw on the tracks, but it happened so quickly.

I tried to follow-up with transit police on the victims condition but they said its under investigation and won't give any details. (Transit Bureau District #1)

Anyone have an update?? Why is this the only news report?

Oct. 05 2011 12:14 PM
Heather

Anyone have an update?? Why is this the only news report?

Oct. 05 2011 12:13 PM
Gina

My husband also witnessed the accident...he didnt think she jumped but he wasnt sure...he said the platform was very crowded because the train was a few minutes late. Does anyone have an update on how the woman is doing?

Oct. 05 2011 09:14 AM
david

Hi Josh, can you email me what you saw with the woman?

Oct. 04 2011 10:38 PM
Tom

Josh, you said you witnessed what happened. Did she jump, as the article states, loose her balance and fall or faint?

Oct. 04 2011 05:43 PM
Josh

Mr. O'Grady,

I witnessed the incident at the 42nd St. station yesterday morning. I have been trying since the incident happened to find out how the woman is doing, and this is the only news report I have seen on. Do you know where I could find that information, or if you know it yourself, would you mind emailing me or responding to this comment?

Oct. 04 2011 11:08 AM
Amy

This story is incorrect..I was in the car that the man fell on. There was a fight on the platform and the man was pushed in between the train and the platform. Utter chaos then ensued. A reporter arrived before the police. We were stuck on the train for about 20 mins before the train was evacuated.

Oct. 04 2011 11:02 AM