Following Up: New York's Public School Buildings

Friday, September 30, 2011

Jean Arrington, who has been researching New York City public school buildings from the turn of the century and who gives walking tours of school architecture, talks about the legacy of Charles B.J. Snyder, a public school superintendent who designed roughly 400 school buildings, 270 of which are still in use.

Jean Arrington

nancy o. russo

i am a nyc public school administrator and got to know jean and had the wonderful opportuniy to meet cbjs's family when i invited jean to speak at a nyc doe supervisors' conference i hosted - i too attended h design bldgs and loved the iron/silver staircase in ps4 the bronx - fulton ave - finally walked on it when i visited the school - many, many years after graduating fom ps4 - cbjs' bldgs are truly palaces of education

Sep. 30 2011 06:59 PM
Harold Schultz from Rutherford, NJ

I went to William Howard Taft HS in the Bronx, during the late 1960's. That was an 'H' layout plan school. It had many interesting places, to hide when we opted to cut class.

Sep. 30 2011 11:59 AM
tom from astoria

With all the closings of schools, are any great structures being lost to redevelopment

Sep. 30 2011 11:58 AM
Ursula J. from Brooklyn

I went to Curtis HS on Staten Island 1996-98. It's a beautiful castle-like gothic beauty.... and was an early introduction for me to gorgeous un-dorm like buildings they build today... at least on the outside.

Sep. 30 2011 11:57 AM
Bobby G from East Village

Great segment! I love that three story PS 63 on East 3rd St in the East Village has Ionic, Doric and Corinthian columns stacked on top of each other on the facade.

Sep. 30 2011 11:54 AM
paulb from Prospect Heights

I attended then PS 26 in the west Bronx, Burnside and Andrews Aves, in the 50s and early 60s, I think one of the Snyder elementary schools, the oldest wing dating from the 1890s. Such an interesting looking building with a broad, fenced front lawn and grand horse-chestnut tree.

I was so miserable when it got torched during the 70s.

Sep. 30 2011 11:52 AM
Nikko from District 24 in Elmhurst, Queens

from K thru 8 (1992 - 2000), it was not uncommon to hear "don't go near that window! you're going to lose an arm!" i wonder if the windows were ever replaced in my elementary & middle schools. death traps they were!

Sep. 30 2011 11:05 AM