America's Greatest Newspaper Columns

Friday, September 30, 2011

Errol Louis, host of "Inside City Hall" on NY1, John Avlon, senior political columnist for Newsweek and The Daily Beast, and Jesse Angelo, editor-in-chief of The Daily and executive editor of the New York Post, all co-editors of Deadline Artists: America's Greatest Newspaper Columns, discuss the influence of the newspaper column on America's culture and history.

Jesse Angelo, John Avlon and Errol Louis
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

cef from nyc

Frank Rich as movie critic for NY POST pre Murdoch

Sep. 30 2011 07:59 PM
Mary Carroll from Hawthorne, NJ

I know it's late to add a comment but I was so excited about reading this book that I called my local-owner-operated bookstore and they are getting it in next week. I can't wait. I love a well-written column and I am guilty of cutting out news stories and pages from the New Yorker as well. I have a folder full of Molly Ivans columns, she was one of the best. PS: When I was a little girl (I'm 53 now), I used read Jimmy Breslin in The Daily News. I may not always have understood him, but I loved the way he wrote!

Sep. 30 2011 03:50 PM
Judith A. Pack

David Brooks? Friedman? Noonan? Surely you jest! The NY Times letters to the editor are far more erudite and informative than any of the above writers. If this is the caliber of writer and thinker you are including in the book, I won't be purchasing it anytime soon.

Sep. 30 2011 12:49 PM
Bob from Westchester

I really enjoyed Jim Dwyer when we was the subway columnist for New York Newsday. He told stories about real people and what it was like for those of us who rode the system every day. Everyone else wrote only news and gossip about (and leaked from) the unions, management and City Hall.

Sep. 30 2011 12:21 PM
Tom Johnson from Hamilton Heights

Vermont Royster was a favorite of mine.

Sep. 30 2011 12:17 PM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

Yes, also Bill Safire.

And having just finished reading "Boys of Summer", one of the unexpected pleasures was Kahn's ongoing discussion of the NY newspaper racket of the time and working under deadline.

BTW, back to Red Smith... what was his answer when asked what it was like writing a column 3 times a week?

Easy he said. You just open up a vein...

Sep. 30 2011 11:44 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Sheryl McCarthy & Les Payne of the late lamented New York Newsday.

Sep. 30 2011 11:44 AM
Mitch from Maplewood, NJ

I'll never forget a comment that a Village Voice columnist made about the sports columnist Grantland Rice. She quoted a piece of purple prose and after it simply commented: "It ain't over till it's overwritten."

Sep. 30 2011 11:41 AM
Ron Mwangaguhunga from Williamsburg

loveloevlove Nat Hentoff

Sep. 30 2011 11:40 AM
Ron Mwangaguhunga from Williamssburg

I miss Robert Novak's column. It was surprisingly even-handed (though Novak was a righty) and ALWAYS had amazing beltway scoops

Sep. 30 2011 11:38 AM
Ron Mwangaguhunga from Williamsburg

IF Stone?

Sep. 30 2011 11:35 AM
FA

I'd add Jose Torres

Sep. 30 2011 11:35 AM
Laura from UWS

Russell Baker, Molly Ivins, Jim Hightower.

Eleanor Roosevelt wrote columns which are definitely keepers.

Sep. 30 2011 11:35 AM
Ron Mwangaguhunga from williamsburg

I'm not a conservative, but I read a Bill Buckley column after the then-Soviet Union shot down Korean airliner 007 killing a US congressman that was just amazing. Angry yet measured, wise.

Sep. 30 2011 11:35 AM
Bob from Westchester

My favorite Russell Baker column: when he took personal responsibility for causing the NYC drought of the early 1980s. See for his whole career it never rained when he brought his umbrella to work, then his wife got him a collapsible umbrella which he put in his briefcase and forgot about for 2 years -- hence the drought.

Sep. 30 2011 11:34 AM

Maureen Dowd has been phoning it in for years. Stop pretending she's any good. And Peggy Noonan stinks too.

Sep. 30 2011 11:34 AM
Ron Mwangaguhunga from Williamsburg

are bloggers the new syndicated columnists?

Sep. 30 2011 11:28 AM
Joanne from Boonton, NJ

Molly Ivins. Absolutely essential.
In sports, Red Smith.
I have a fondness for my hometown columnist, David Rossie of the Binghamton Press-SunBulletin.

Sep. 30 2011 11:28 AM
BigGuy from Forest Hills

The greatest column is, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" by James Francis in 1897.

Sep. 30 2011 11:28 AM
Manny from Montclair

Let's not forget the late, great Dick Schaap.
He could do it all and he was a real gent as well.

Sep. 30 2011 11:27 AM
Leah from Brooklyn

Growing up in Detroit, I read Mitch Albom's column in The Detroit Free Press regularly. His muscular, incisive prose inspired me to want to become a newspaper columnist (when this still seemed like a viable employment option, in those halcyon pre-blog days). I was so disappointed that when he came to more national prominence it was for the limp, treacly "Tuesdays with Morrie." Maybe this collection will help familiarize readers with more robust examples of his talent.

Sep. 30 2011 11:24 AM
Frank Loftus from brooklyn

Royko was syndicated in the KC Star and is the first columnist I remember reading as a kid growing up in the heartland. Really expanded my horizons. Speaking of the Star, Joe Posnanski, now at SI, had one helluva great run as a sports columnist there in the last decade.

Sep. 30 2011 11:23 AM
ismael from lower east side

Jim Dwyer.

Sep. 30 2011 11:23 AM
Nancy from UWS

John Chancellor wrote a column in the NY Times listing the freedoms we Americans had lost in the previous few years. He could list even more today.

Sep. 30 2011 11:22 AM
RU from Brooklyn

Does the political establishment ever heed the words of the columnists, especially those in the NY Times?

Sep. 30 2011 11:21 AM
MichaelB from Morningside Heights

I always enjoyed the humanity of Red Smith's columns. They were only incidentally about sports....

Sep. 30 2011 11:20 AM
Nick from UWS

And what about the great Alexander Woollcott?

Sep. 30 2011 11:19 AM
jk

John Avlon referred to Westbrook Pegler as a great columnist. Pegler advocated the assassinations of FDR and RFK. Please explain.

Sep. 30 2011 11:14 AM
Nick from UWS

And the late Eric Brendl.

Sep. 30 2011 11:13 AM
Jay from Brooklyn

Twitter acct, TweetsofOld, celebrates sometimes very contemporary-sounding gems of editorial writing, from non-famous county paper editors. Real one-liners from old newspapers.

And don't forget Mark Twain.

Sep. 30 2011 11:12 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Newspapers? Wot's dat?

Sep. 30 2011 11:11 AM
jk

Any list of greatest newspaper columnists must include Murray Kempton, Jack Newfield, Anthony Lewis, Tom Wicker, and Lars Erik Nelson.

Sep. 30 2011 10:05 AM