Hell and Back Again

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

U.S. Marine Sergeant Nathan Harris and his wife Ashley Harris, subjects of the documentary "Hell and Back Again," discuss how they dealt with a new reality after Sgt. Harris was wounded in Afghanistan. Plus, the film's director, photojournalist Danfung Dennis, will discuss why he made this film.

Danfung Dennis, Ashley Harris and Sgt. Nathan Harris

Capt. Jill Wolf from Quantico, Va.

In the clip, Sgt. Harris mentions a hotline available to help wounded, ill and injured Marines and veterans, but was unable to pass along the number. He is refering to his unit's 24/7 call center called the Sergeant Merlin German Call Center: 877-487-6299. You can also go to the website: woundedwarriorregiment.org for more information.

Sep. 29 2011 04:13 PM
Debbie Gough from East Bend, North Carolina

Ashley is my granddaughter and Nathan was my student in the 6th grade. The documentary film "Hell and Back" only gives a portion of the hurdles this young couple has had to overcome. We, as Americans, do not do enough to support our war veterans and their families when they return to the states. I have learned so much from their lives and their struggles.

Sep. 28 2011 01:41 PM
john from Office

Victor, I served. You miss understood my point. The draft pulled in more people from the more "intellectual" classes, that vote and make alot of noise politically. After the draft ended, they sat down and looked into Central Park west and east.

Sep. 28 2011 12:07 PM
Nick from UWS

If humans really thought war was hell they would have stopped doing it long ago.

Sep. 28 2011 11:52 AM
VICTOR JUHASZ from From my studio

To "john from office". Please check your facts. Sending poor kids from the hills or the ghettos to fight a war is a holdover idea from the Vietnam War that is no longer applicable. It's a different military now.

Sep. 28 2011 11:47 AM
Stella from Manhattan

Thank you Brian, for this moving interview - for
introducing us to Nathan & Ashley Harris and Danfung Dennis. You treat people gently and
respectfully, and let them tell their stories without politicizing, and your presence on the air is much appreciated.

Sep. 28 2011 11:46 AM
john from office

Nick, you made my point note your address. Another canada boy, commenting on a hero.

Sep. 28 2011 11:44 AM
Nick from UWS

"What did you do back then, Grandpa?"

"I killed strangers. And I'm proud of it."

Sep. 28 2011 11:40 AM
raleigh from nyc

my husband is an officer in the marine corps, and in november, we're relocating to his permanent duty station at lejuene (down in nc). it's a terrifying change from new york, honestly, where i've been for 11 years - no bodegas, no 24/7 delivery, no billions of things to do - but part of what i'm most afraid of is knowing that every day, i'm going to wake up with a team of other women who are terrified of the same things i am - terrified of this. i know that from hardship comes strength, i know i can't stay in my ivory tower at columbia for the rest of my life, i know i have to go face it - but i just want to pass on my thanks to the harrises and dan dennis for being so honest and helping those of us living this life take a deep breath and face it head on and for those whose lives are not impacted directly or personally touched by this war have another opportunity to really access what's happening and really see what's going on with the military in this country. just thanks.

Sep. 28 2011 11:35 AM
The Truth from Becky

A disturbing clip..an ex vet will kill you in your sleep! They are not sent anywhere to decompress once they come home. I work with one and everytime you knock on his door he jumps about 5 feet outta his chair! All he talks about is when he served, war stories out the yin yang! He has guns in his car trunk and a bomb shelter in his home. Oh yeah, he served in 1967!!!! Yikes!!

Sep. 28 2011 11:33 AM
john from office

Brian, thank you for this interview. But, the volunteer force has resulted in only certains classes serving. Your class, never serves, so you dont care that the war has gone on for ten years. If the children of the upper east and west sides served, the war would have been over long ago. A sad truth.

Sep. 28 2011 11:33 AM
tony from manhattan

if 13,000 vets have come back wounded, the opportunity to speak to them is not "rare." it is only that it is rarely taken.

Sep. 28 2011 11:24 AM