Jonathan Franzen Talks about Freedom

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Jonathan Franzen talks about his latest novel, Freedom. It’s an epic of contemporary love and marriage that comically and tragically captures the temptations and burdens of liberty—the thrills of teenage lust, the compromises of middle age, the wages of suburban sprawl, the heavy weight of empire. It tells the story of Walter and Patty Berglund as they struggle to come to terms with an ever more confusing world.

Jonathan Franzen
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Corey Isaacs

Just found this show. I love to hear authors talk about their work. Good interview!

May. 03 2013 01:10 AM
Lopate Producers

Sorry for the delay. The audio is now available!

Sep. 29 2011 03:48 PM
Peter from Brooklyn

No archived audio for this segment?

Sep. 28 2011 11:03 AM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

I've listened to a lot of authors on this show through the years. And Jonathan Franzen's speaking style and the way he talks about life and his books is SUCH a breath of fresh air. I appreciate his down to earth style coupled with his deep thoughts.

Thank you!

Sep. 27 2011 06:57 PM
Carrie from manhattan

Why did the characters in Freedom get off so easily after so much bad behavior? There seemed to be so much more of the spoiled child getting his way in this book. Is that a reflection of our mid 2000's self absorption?

Sep. 27 2011 01:19 PM
David from Fredericksburg, VA

I'm a big Kindle user. I most certainly do NOT consider movies akin to novels. Even good movies, though the overwhelming majority of what's being made is dreck.

Sep. 27 2011 01:12 PM
Lynn from Park Slope

I was lucky enough to design the covers for the Corrections, and wanted to say "hi" to Jonathan. Also wanted to say how much I enjoyed Freedom. I'm not sure if it's a function of my being ten years older, but I felt it was somehow more grounded and very satisfying as a whole. Also, please forgive me as I am sure this is broaching a very tiresome subject but I have to say: I think Mr. Franzen writes so convincingly and thoughtfully from the female perspective. If I wasn't so annoyed with the whole Oprah and Jennifer Weiner "women's fiction" thing I would find it kind of funny and strange.

Sep. 27 2011 01:07 PM