After 80 Arrests, Protest Enters Second Week

Sunday, September 25, 2011

About 80 people were arrested when protesters camped out near the New York Stock Exchange for more than a week marched to Union Square over the weekend, police said.

Most of the arrests stemming from an Occupy Wall Street protest Saturday were for disorderly conduct and in one case pepper spray was used after an individual confronted a police officer, according to NYPD spokesman Paul Browne.

"Those who resist arrest can expect some measure of force," Browne said, noting that "pepper spray was used once after individuals confronted officers and tried to prevent them from deploying a mesh barrier - something that was edited out or otherwise not captured in the video."

The group, which had been protesting in Lower Manhattan for more than a week, is comprised of activists critical of corporate influence over politics and demanding higher taxes on high-income individuals.

Demonstrator Elena Spence said she and others were roughly handled by officers before the pepper-spraying began, and that no one received a forewarning from the police before the chaos.

"It turned so quickly from something very peaceful to something very scary," said the 23-year-old military widow from Buffalo, N.Y., "and the violence wasn't instigated by any of the protesters. It was instigated by the cops."

Casey O'Neill, of Oakland, Calif., said he felt the anti-Wall street protests would help facilitate change.

"I actually quit my job and got a one-way ticket here for the protests," he said. "I just felt like in a lot ways this was the last hope for some type of real change."

WNYC/Arun Venugopal
Demonstrators leading the crowd in a "general assembly" or meeting
Members of the Granny Peace Brigade
Donors around the world have bought pizza for the demonstrators
Casey O'Neill, who quit his job in Oakland, Calif., to join the demonstrations, displays the number for the group's legal hotline
Marvin Knight of Brooklyn says society should "spread the money around"
Police watching over the demonstrators in Zuccotti Park

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

new jersey

PLawrence O'Donnell put NYPR to shame tonight what is the station not telling us

Sep. 26 2011 11:16 PM
John

Dear Mr. Mayor:
You & the police are paid to protect & serve the people, not beat the crap out of them. Tell your stormtroopers to back off & let people speak truth to power.

Sep. 26 2011 10:02 PM
Sanjee from Brooklyn

"Those who resist arrest can expect some measure of force," Really? Have you seen this?

Sep. 26 2011 05:34 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

@ Abe S
"what stops any of them protesters from going out and getting a good job?"

Seriously? Are you daft? Have you been living under a rock for the last 4 years??? What the hell...

Sep. 26 2011 05:03 PM
bocephus

Agree that nypd has a laughable track record in my experience. When I got mugged several years ago and ran to 2 cops standing on a corner doing nothing and said the 2 muggers walked away and had to be right up the street one cop turned and said "you shoulda stuck a knife in him" and they both laughed and told me to go home.

I'm sure there must be great NY cops and I'd love to meet one but in 20 years in the city that's never happened to me. I don't consider them right wing "fascists" but more like lazy do-nothings phoning it in for the paycheck and the pension.

Sep. 26 2011 04:18 PM
Richard from Manhattan

The NYPD is so over-rated it's unbelievable. I have never experienced them doing anything good. When I've seen a major problem on the street, I look around for police and, if they're there, they somehow manage--always--to be looking the other way. When I first came to New York in the middle 60's and rested on the grass in Washington Square Park, a cop came over and hit me with his night stick on the bottom of my feet--there were no stay off the grass signs around. When I went to the Disney Parade with a kid, Bryant Park was blocked off so that those leaving were crushed on the sidewalk and shoved by police--it was mostly parents with kids.

When my burglar alarm went off, they took the position it was a false alarm and would cite me if it happened again--not even considering the possibility that it was a burglar attempt frightened away by the alarm--the citizen was the problem. When I was held up in an ATM, they couldn't care less and didn't do anything, even though the perp was still hanging around the neighborhood. When my sports car went over the stop line by a foot near Union Square, they stopped me, even though major drug deals were going on only a few feet away in the park.

I could go on, but over many years I did not once see them doing any good--unless hanging out at brothels on Sixth Avenue and being greeted by the working girls is considered a good thing.

Sep. 26 2011 01:21 PM
Vinny in Queens

Wall Street & Corporations have removed our democracy through legal means. They now celebrate the same rights as an individual - compliments of the Supreme Court. There is no point in dealing with the Republican or Democratic parties since our elections are funded through these corporations. Our political parties, like the police will only respond to the will of CEO's.

I believe this protest is indicitive of Americans beginning to understand that they can expect things to get worse for themselves and their future generations and no one who wields any power is on their side. Police response just further defines their/our plight. The police will repress a peaceful protest but no CEO will ever go to jail for the deliberate undemining of our economy.

Sep. 26 2011 01:01 PM
Dave from NY

You now need two parents working if they are going to live the lie and keep up with the Jones and have 4 cars and 4 tv sets and 4 computers. Save money. Live within your means.
Dont use credit cards.

Who's ahead...nobody

Sep. 26 2011 12:22 PM
LCruz from brooklyn

WNYC, must cover this do more coverage on this story, the "fall donation drive" is our horizon.

Sep. 26 2011 12:21 PM
Eva from Brooklyn

The parents of the protesters are not responsible for what is happening.
First wages were reduced. Workers work longer hours and get paid less than they did in the 1970's. You now need both parents working. They were issued credit cards at exorbitant interest rates to allow them to think they could still afford a middleclass lifestyle. Who's ahead. Wall Street.

Sep. 26 2011 12:14 PM

You can't blame Wallstreet for being good at their jobs. Isn't it there job to make as much as they possibly can? If you're gonna be pissed, be pissed with the policymakers. Americans are too focussed on lattes, ipads, and jibbering on facebook to ever effectively make any change. Revolt by electing real independent candidates, and by divesting in those companies that piss u off! If you're not willing to die for what you believe then don't go protesting and then complain when they send out the NYPD goon squads.

Sep. 26 2011 12:03 PM
GB

I second the first poster on here. This is fantastic:

Sep. 26 2011 11:47 AM

Breaking news: Anonymous claims to have identified the pepper-spraying NYPD inspector as Anthony Bologna, including publishing potential address, phone number, and names of family members.

WNYC should track down this cop and ask to confirm/deny and ask for reactions.

Sep. 26 2011 11:39 AM
Maria from BK

Even if I believe in a cause, I generally do not go to protests in NYC because I do not want to get my skull broken. So I guess this means that the NYPD et. al. have already part succeeded with someone like me. Sad.

Sep. 26 2011 11:35 AM

What??

'Occupy Wall Street' Protests Turn Violent' - ABC News

Sep. 26 2011 11:27 AM
Dave from NY

There has not been a true middle class for twenty years. Wall street did not create this problem. Look your parents in the eye.

Sep. 26 2011 11:20 AM
Lama from Brooklyn, NY

It's sad to see criticism here of such an important issue and people who are brave enough to go on the streets to protest the corruption in our society and our government.

Most of the people who are protesting do have jobs, they are educated.. and that is why they are protesting! The rich are getting richer, the middle class is disappearing, and the poor are getting poorer. The government is in the hands of big business.

and as we all know, NYC has a TERRIBLE record when it comes to how it handles protests. Shame. This is a democratic country and people are free and allowed to express their opinions, on the streets and elsewhere, without fear of punishment.

It's about time someone spoke up!

Sep. 26 2011 11:10 AM
Peter from Brooklyn

When this protest started, I didn't really think they were going get to stay there over night. I worked across the street from Liberty Plaza Park now Zuccotti Park when it was redesigned. It a privately owned public park. I know, right? What's that?

I think this is all going to come down to (come to a head over) what Brookfield wants to do here. According to the WSJ, the police urged them to be patient. They're worried about bad press, etc.? City Parks have curfews. This is either going to go on a very long time or there will be a dramatic eviction.

Sep. 26 2011 11:07 AM
Abe S

what stops any of them protesters from going out and getting a good job?

Sep. 26 2011 10:59 AM
Stan from Queens NY

It’s like Brother Gil said “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised”

Sep. 26 2011 10:32 AM
Dave from NY

The protestors sould be picketting in front of their parents houses. The parents lived on credit cards bought houses they could not afford. Basically living beyond their means. Now the next generation is paying for it. How many TV's did these folks have in there house? I am guessing one in every bedroom and of course the living room. How many cars were in their driveways?

Sep. 26 2011 10:30 AM
Shawn from Manhattan

As one of the protestors arrested on Saturday I personally feel that the Democrats and Republicans have been bought and paid for by the financial institutions on Wall street. The average citizen has no say in the way the financial institutions should be regulated. Corporations are able to make unlimited campaign contributions. A several million dollar bribe from Chase or Merrill Lynch has a much greater impact on campaigns than the letters I've written to my representatives.

Sep. 26 2011 10:26 AM
Chris from Brooklyn

I was there last night, and plan to go pack today after work. I was really surprised by the police presence. They're gathered like they expect a riot to break out any minute. I saw no interference while I was there, but it really seems like the police are trying to make a point they we can only gather at their discretion, and they're just waiting for an excuse to bust heads.

Sep. 26 2011 10:20 AM

WNYC whitewashing and abetting police brutality in all its reporting, including this Brian Lehrer discussion, is morally corrupt and deeply disgusting.

Sep. 26 2011 10:19 AM
Edw from NYC

The mayor should tell the cops to back off. The world is watching.

Sep. 26 2011 10:14 AM
desdemona finch from Brooklyn, NY

This was bound to happen. It's going to get worse if the economy doesn't improve.

Wall Street in cohoots with K Street allowed their greed and irresponsibility to drive this nation's economy into the toilet.

Maybe it'll force/scare Wall Street into thinking twice about their business practices.

Sep. 26 2011 10:10 AM
Office Worker from NYC

Police need to have a different standard for "resisting arrest."

If you put your hands on somebody or restrain somebody, it's a natural instinct for the person to protect herself. "Resisting" "arrest" needs to not be a trumped-up charge that police create everytime someone reflexively flinches or puts his or her hands over their face or out in front of themselves.

It is NOT a natural instinct for a person, when aggressively confronted, to fall limp. Yet falling limp is seemingly the only way to avoid the ever-popular "resisting arrest" charge.

This entire episode is pure silliness, through and through. Poor police training, poor police recruitment, poor police ethical standards, poor police psychological training.

---------

next thing I want to say is that all protesters need to know how to think on their feet. Police are not there because they don't like you, personally. So why not engage with them helpfully before things get ugly? My friend suggested that when going to marches, people should bring snacks and coffee for police. They're only human. Bring them onto your side, people. Think.

Sep. 26 2011 09:32 AM
michael

In fact, here's a slow motion analysis. Clear as day what happened. Not sure why the video's aren't linked in the original story.

Sep. 26 2011 08:58 AM

if i do not see WNYC covering this daily ,in person i will stop all my monthly donations and the other donations i make. This is way too important for the journalist to sit in their offices and not be out there acting like a journalist.
You will probably get arrested or maced, welcome to the real NYC.
Report on the NYPD and Kelly and their brutality and their fabrications. We had the same during the RNC and CM bike rides.
your station will no longer be real if you don't do your job, nor will you get my money
This heavy-handed police work under Kelley, who some say may run for mayor is fascism. NYPD sent their demonstration cops to show the Minnesota police how to steal the camera and laptops and destroy the evidence of peaceful protest.They played the same game during the DNC in Minnesota, stealing the real journalist cameras and laptops with video of brutality.
If you stay in the studio you are no better than then the other talking heads.

Sep. 26 2011 08:44 AM
michael

For those interested the allegedly edited video it is readily available

Sep. 26 2011 08:33 AM

Can't have a peaceful protest without a little fascism. Introducing the man faces of the United States.

Sep. 26 2011 02:34 AM