About 80 Arrested in Union Square Protest

Saturday, September 24, 2011

About 80 people were arrested near Union Square on Saturday afternoon when demonstrators clashed with police during a protest led by the group Occupy Wall Street, police said.

Of the dozens arrested, most were for disorderly conduct, obstructing vehicular and pedestrian traffic, resisting arrest and, in one case, assaulting a police officer, the police said.

Protesters wielding signs that demanded "End the Fed" and other anti-Wall St slogans marched up Fifth Avenue near Union Square on Saturday, drawing a significant police presence and snarling traffic in the neighborhood.

The group, which has been protesting in Lower Manhattan since last Saturday, is comprised of activists critical of corporate influence over politics and demanding higher taxes on high-income individuals.

Earlier this week, one of the organizers of the event told WNYC that demonstrators were inspired by the Arab Spring, as well as pro-labor crowds in Madison, Wisc., earlier this year.

With reporting by Chris Bannon and Arun Venugopal

(Photos: courtesy of Sam Lewis)

First Arrest at Union Square September 24th 2pm

(Photos: Protesters near Union Square on Saturday, September, 24, 2011. Chris Bannon/WNYC.)

Tags:

More in:

Tommy DiP from 11510

Speech on votingtech #1
Hi I am personal computer from www. Votingtech.us
I would like to start by talk about voting machine has not change much in 70 year in most state in the U.S. what is scary electronic vote machine with a secret program by a private government contractor. Do you really trust them? I think that is frightening. Personal computers are the way to go with an open program for all to see. Like the program used for web site these program are used all over the world by millions of people.
Secret program are not necessary with a computer offline or not hookup to the internet and with a printer.
A Printed copy with bar code will be mail to National Guard one copy stays at voting station and one copy for voter to look it over with this system you can change in a time after casting it. If you think it’s wrong after you look your copy at the voting station you can bring it to a qualify voting station manager with in 30 min. of making the vote.
You are probably asking yourself why we need to change the voting system. The first thing they is no voting system for all fifty state yes there is no nationwide standard no voting machine or no way to re-count the vote and validate the result. And do you trust the entire politician and there staff? Do you trust most of politician in gov.? If yes? YOU ARE ignore the last 30 years of politics and the decay of wealth with the bill of right have the same family of politician still rule politics in the U.S.A.
The Second thing if the election is questionable for one reason or other re-count no more look the same voting paper look voting the voting machine there no way to validate the number or verify the citizenship of voter? Because the voting system are rig throughout all 50 state. Is sold for money and connection

Re-counts and how we can validate the count
Call for Re-counts thing of the past because for each election there will be three count in different place by three method by party at coming up with the same number.
Validate one vote, one person or us citizen
By using social security number and rebate check for voters in cresting penalty for vote fraud.

Sep. 28 2011 04:27 PM
Greg from NY, NY 10023

After they bust you in the head, they can always charge you with resisting arrest or assaulting a police officer. (Actually, it is more like protecting your face, and hitting a baton with your head)

It is called police brutality, and political suppression. But, hey, at least they don't shoot you down like dogs!!!

Sep. 28 2011 09:17 AM

Shame wnyc - this is the kind of reporting I expect from mainstream media. I no longer trust your station as a news source.

Sep. 25 2011 11:03 PM
jenn from bklyn

I wasn't there but the video where the three women were maced was particularly disturbing. They were penned in by the police and the brute force used by the NYPD seems so unnecessary.

How much will all the lawsuits cost the tax payers of NYC? Mayor Bloomberg is often talking about the dire straights of our fiscal health which is how he justifies cutting back on schools, fire houses, libraries, etc. but what are legal fees/judgements against the NYPD?

Also, didn't hundreds of pro-Israel/Palestine protesters demonstrate on Friday? How come they could assemble freely but Occupy Wall Street couldn't?

Sep. 25 2011 05:16 PM

WNYC YOU MUST BE OWNED BY THE CORPORATE WORLD.... AS I SEE NO ONES THUMBS UP COMMENTS ARE BEING COUNTED AND YOU INSTEAD ARE SHOWING O VOTES IN SUPPORT OF (THUMBS UP) COMMENTS OR 1/1 SCORES. WHAT A SICK JOKE YOUR NEWS ORGANIZATION THUMBS UP VOTING SYSTEM IS. YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY SOLD OUT TO SOMEONE AND NOT ACCURATELY REPORTING NOR ACCURATELY REFLECTING EVEN THE COUNT ON COMMENT VOTES!! I'M FROM OUT OF TOWN AND EVEN I CAN SEE THROUGH YOUR DECEPTION. SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT COUNTING VOTES ACCURATELY IN SUPPORT OF THE LOCAL PEOPLE WHO HAVE EYEWITNESSED THIS INJUSTICE AND ARE COURAGEOUSLY REPORTING THE TRUTH TO YOU!! WHO OWNS YOU WNYC? REALLY.... YOU DO YOUR READERS AND CITIZEN REPORTERS/READERS A GRAVE INJUSTICE! NOT TO MENTION ON NATIONAL NEWS YOU SHOWED ONLY 2 COMMENTS BY YOUR LOCAL CITIZENS REPORTING THEIR EYEWITNESS ACCOUNTS/COMMENTS BUT WHEN I REGISTERED(GEE WOW) SUDDENLY I SAW 21 COMMENTS FROM EYEWITNESS OBJECTIVE ACCOUNTS OF THE PROTESTORS ATTEMPT TO PEACEFULLY DEMONSTRATE AND THE PROTESTORS BEING HARRASSED AND MANHANDLED(LITERALLY) BY THE LOCAL POLICE. WNYC...YOU ARE NOT TRUTHFULLY REPORTING NOR ARE YOU TRUTHFULLY REFLECTING THE COMMENTS COMING IN THAT ARE IN COMPLETE SUPPORT OF THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED ON THE STREETS. I'M GLAD I GOT THE HONEST TRUTH FROM THE LOCAL RESIDENTS REPORTING WHAT TRULY HAPPENED THROUGH YOUR COMMENTS. SHAME ON YOU WNYC CALLING YOURSELVES REPORTERS.....WHO OWNS YOU WNYC? YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT REPORTING THE WHOLE TRUTH MUCH LESS ANY TRUTH IS MY SUSPICION. SIGNED....US CITIZEN FROM BELTON, MO (SEE MONIKER FOR MY FIRST INITIAL AND LAST NAME) P.S. I VOTED THUMBS UP ON EACH COMMENT....SO THERE!!! IRONICALLY ALL COMMENTS WERE IN SUPPORT OF THE PEACEFUL PROTESTORS.....NOW WHERE'S MY VOTE???

Sep. 25 2011 02:46 PM
protester from brooklyn

In the whole world millions of people are protesting against the growing disparity and corporate power, only in America there's a complete media black out on the protest. The arrests are absolutely shocking. I am offended by this article, that portrays the protesters as looneys. I thought WNYC would give a fair account of what happened, not abide by the police fabrication. I'm not going to support WNYC again next year.

Sep. 25 2011 01:01 PM
gregg

I'm not surprised by the actions of the police. They have been out of control for some time in nyc. They see the populace as probable perps, instead of their fellow citizens. This is disturbing. Look at the police cars, they all have "courtesy, professionalism, respect" printed on the rear fender. But it doesn't apply. I've heard so many threats and curse words from police towards citizens, it ain't funny. They make false arrests, false reports, false false false. I used to have respect for the police. No more. I don't think there are any good cops out there anymore. Sad state we are in. Cops are the new thugs. Except they got the law on their side. Like I said, sad day.

Sep. 25 2011 11:50 AM
David--FORMER Listener from Long Island

I USED to think WNYC was the place to go to hear an unbiased un-bought place to hear what was really going on. I'm glad I'm not the only one to see how this story was skewed against the protesters.

I won't be listening any more. I wish I could take back my donation.

Sep. 25 2011 11:17 AM

When did supporting the dwindling middle class become socialism?

Not having been there, I won't comment on the arrests, however politicians had better start paying attention to the people or we can expect more and bigger protests.

People are fed up and for good reason. Our elected officials have been pandering to big business and Wall St to the point of virtually eliminating what was once a thriving midle class in America.

Then time has come to take back our power and work together to make this country what it can be -- then land of opportunity for all.

Capitalism can't work if some people have an unfair advantage. Get out and vote!

Sep. 25 2011 10:59 AM

I agree that using a pic of someone with a placard with 'socialism' written on it is both cheap and lazy. It's coverage like this that chips away at the credibility of public and private media. As it happens, the protesters probably aren't anti-capitalist either. If they are anti anything it's corporatism. Which also means that what they want is more democratic responsiveness over the way governments, financial institutions and large, vertically-integrated enterprises behave. The problem we have right now across the developed world is that none of the aforementioned institutions appear to be responsive to people's interests. We are not in a cycle of boom and bust, of recession followed by recovery. We are facing a structural problem in which the policy tools offered by most mainstream political parties are insufficient to deal with the depth of the challenges we face: (a) the financialization of the public discourse in culture and politics; (b) the remoteness and lack of accountability of public and private institutions; and (c) the volatility that comes with (a) + (b). While I like WNYC--a lot--I'm not convinced that it's able to consistently interrogate these fundamentals. Pictures such as the one shown on this report (twice!) only serve to confirm this apprehension.

Sep. 25 2011 10:46 AM
Steve from New York

It is surprising that WNYC's lead picture is of someone caring a sign extolling socialism. Using the socialism boogaboo is insulting. I was there yesterday with my daughter and I saw no signs about socialism. I just saw police out of control. The police blocked the traffic with their plastic fence. I saw the police sweep up 12th Street between University and 5th, at around 3pm, telling all the shopowners and restaurants on the south side of the street to lock their doors. They then circled people on the south side sidewalk with the plastic fence they carried and started arresting everyone. Their intention was to arrest everyone on the block. If any investigator/reporter wants to know the truth just ask the commercial tenants on the south side of 12th Street about the premeditated police mass arrest action. The people on the sidewalk were not obstructing anything. I had nothing to do with the people on the sidewalk or the police. I was just walking in my neighborhood with my daughter. I stood on the 12th street north side sidewalk watching all of this. When I asked a police officer why they were arresting everyone on the south side he told me to go home or else I would also be arrested. That is exactly what I saw and heard.

Sep. 25 2011 10:10 AM
Huk Dun Shur

More protest pictures -- creative commons, attribution, no derivs.

Sep. 25 2011 01:47 AM
CS from NYC

I watched the mayhem unfold as protesters were tackled and punched by NYC cops for as little as talking to injured friends.

I caught some of the violence on video, before getting out of there as the cops turned towards me.

Sep. 24 2011 09:57 PM

Why is this WNYC report so biased against the demonstrators and so supportive of apparent police misconduct?
Why does your opening paragraph accuse the demonstrators of initiating violence against the police, which is certainly not backed up by any photo evidence? Shouldn’t fairness require you to have at least spared your tendentious “when demonstrators clashed with police”? In fact, doesn’t the video evidence indicate that a more accurate description would have been “when police attacked demonstrators”?

Why does your second paragraph parrot the police line rather than reporting, more fairly, “Police said that they had arrested dozens of people, most on charges of . . .”? Why, instead of making that kind of fair statement, did you slant the report in a form designed to inculcate that the demonstrators are guilty of what the police charge, whereas the video evidence so far seen indicates that the police attacked peaceful demonstrators, acting out of police rage and with excessively disproportionate violence, especially towards women?

Sep. 24 2011 08:45 PM
Nick Hentoff from New York

@Barbara. Barbara must be with the NYPD's TARU intel unit because I was there and I didn't see anyone swarm the intersection of 5th avenue and 12th Street. I live in the neighborhood and was walking my dog. I was told by the police I couldn't watch what was happening. They said if I didn't move I would be arrested. It was clear if I had said one more thing I would have been arrested.

Sep. 24 2011 08:42 PM
hope from union square

I was on the corner of 12th and I think University. There was a standoff on the sidewalk, when one policeman pulled out pepper-spray and sprayed 3 people on the sidewalk who were not in any way obstructing the police. I think even his fellow police officers seemed annoyed that he did this, and he was quickly pulled away by his colleagues. Two of the the people sprayed were left lying on the street in pain while passerbys tried to get water to flush their eyes. Police provided no medics. Eventually medics from the protesters found us and used what they said was maalox and milk to relieve their pain. It took 30-40 mins before one of them could open her eyes again. I understand arresting those who engage in civil dissobedience, but the interaction I saw was an unprovoked assault by one policeman on three women who were chanting and holding peace signs on the sidewalk. It was an assault for which likely no one will be held accountable.

Sep. 24 2011 08:17 PM
hope from union square

I was on the corner of 12th and I think University. There was a standoff on the sidewalk, when one policeman pulled out pepper-spray and sprayed 3 people on the sidewalk who were not in any way obstructing the police. I think even his fellow police officers seemed annoyed that he did this, and he was quickly pulled away by his colleagues. Two of the the people sprayed were left lying on the street in pain while passerbys tried to get water to flush their eyes. Police provided no medics. Eventually medics from the protesters found us and used what they said was maalox and milk to relieve their pain. It took 30-40 mins before one of them could open her eyes again. I understand arresting those who engage in civil dissobedience, but the interaction I saw was an unprovoked assault by one policeman on three women who were chanting and holding peace signs on the sidewalk. It was an assault.

Sep. 24 2011 08:12 PM
Barbara

This report is slightly inaccurate. The protesters didn't march on 5th Ave, they marched south on University Place. They broke away from police near 12th Street, swarming the intersection. The scramble of protesters and police quickly turned into a small riot and mob mentality, menacing innocent bystanders who had to flee to safety. After a brief standoff at University and 12th, some protesters were roughed up and arrested there and then on 5th Avenue at Cardozo Law school, where they had re-gathered.

Sep. 24 2011 07:46 PM
Nelson

I'm pretty sure there really is no such thing as rights or freedom anymore. The only way America has any rights at all is because of the people who died in this country long ago. Today the government and the rich of this country will never let us average people be truly free.
I feel for the protestors, ashamed of the police. It is very sad, we might as well be slaves cause that is what we are.

Sep. 24 2011 07:26 PM
Steve from Greenwich Village

I live in the neighborhood and was walking with my 11 year old daughter when I saw the police closing University Place. I went over there in time to see the police run up 12th street, corral a group of around 30 people on the sidewalk in a pink fence like barrier and then start arresting them. I could not see any reason why these people, walking peacefully on the sidewalk were being arrested and dragged away. I told a cop that I lived a block away and wanted to know why they were arresting all these people. He told me to leave the area and go to my home or else he would arrest me. We were just standing on the sidewalk, across the street from where the police were making the mass arrest and were about to get arrested ourselves. For the crime of standing on the sidewalk in our neighborhood!! My daughter was frightened and although I was offended by the way the police were disregarding basic rights I decided that I had better leave the area. Very disturbing.

Sep. 24 2011 07:12 PM
scallywag from nyc

As much as a certain segment of society chooses to combat what they perceive to be the gaming of society by entrenched power interests perhaps we ought to ask the uncomfortable question- does anyone then really care anymore? And if they did, how is it that the movement that started off with 5000 members last weekend has dwindled to less than 200 come this weekend? After all the concerns of the ‘occupy wall street’ group are legitimate ones with deep consequences.

Sep. 24 2011 07:01 PM
Huk Dun Shur

Where is the media presence??

Sep. 24 2011 07:00 PM
ANON2012 from seattle

1- GO NOW, IMMEDIATELY. QUIT YOUR JOB, KISS YOUR GF GOODBYE AND START YOUR WAY.
CLICK HERE FOR RIDESHARE: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpool-to-Occupy-Wallstreet/222614057794752?sk=wall

2- SUPPORT THEM WITH MONEY AND/OR SUPPLIES - PEOPLE ARE BEING BRUTALIZED BY THE NYPD - THEIR FREEDOMS ARE BEING SQUASHED AND YET - THEY REMAIN PEACEFUL - SUPPORT THEM 100%

3- SUPPORT THE MEDIA TEAM, THEY HAVE BEEN ARRESTED AND HAD TROUBLE WITH RECHARGING BATTERIES AND RAIN - HELP THEM OUT!!! 2 MEDIA TEAMS WERE TARGETED TODAY - PLEASE HELP THESE GUYS OUT - THEY ARE REAL LIFE HEROES!

4- PRINT FLIERS AND HAND THEM OUT - CHALK ON SIDEWALKS - STOP PASSERBYS AND INFORM THEM

5- OFFER WORDS OF SUPPORT AND/OR WATCH LIVE FEEDS RIGHT AT LIBERTY PARK - OVER 7000 VIEWERS RIGHT NOW!

6- SHARE THIS AD WITH OTHERS ON CRAIGSLIST, FACEBOOK, TWITTER, GOOGLE PLUS AND ALL NEWS SITES
HERE IS A LIST OF ALL NEWSPAPERS IN THE US - http://www.usnpl.com/

7 - SPONSOR SOMEONE ELSE TO GO TO NYC - OFFER $ TO THEM OR TAKE CARE OF THEIR PETS OR WATER THEIR PLANTS....

8 - DO NOT ARGUE WITH SHEEPLE, JUST SIMPLY IGNORE AND CONTINUE TO SPREAD THE WORD. THIS IS ENERGY BETTER USED
IN POSITIVE WAYS THAN ARGUING WITH THOSE THAT ARE STILL SLEEPING IN LALA LAND.

THANKS - SEE YOU THERE!!!!!!!!

ADDITIONAL NOTE: POLICE BRUTALITY AND NON-CONSTITUTIONAL ARRESTS IS HAPPENING EVERY DAY. CLICK THESE LINKS TO WATCH THE VIDEOS!

STAND UP AMERICA! DO SOMETHING!

COMMON QUESTIONS:
1- HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE THERE?
There are more and more people every day, many are local to NYC and go home to sleep.
2- WHERE DO THEY GO TO THE BATHROOM?
There is a 24 hour McDonalds next door to the park.
3- HOW DO THEY SHOWER?
There are mobile shower units that some have and others are using sink baths or baby wipes.
4- WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE PROTEST?
The purpose of the protest is to have our voices heard, it can and will become anything you desire it to be. If you are against logging (for example) then your signs will be in regards to this and it will be accepted by everyone. This protest is for anyone and everyone - we are the 99%

Sep. 24 2011 06:39 PM
Anonymous

These are not police officers but fascist swine

Sep. 24 2011 06:26 PM
Robert from NYC

I was there. The protestors were corralled and trapped by an orange makeshift barrier held up by the police. Soon after, I saw kids with bleeding faces in handcuffs, as well as many who had not been arrested pouring milk on eachothers faces after being pepper-sprayed. There were some cops acting in rage, using force while the protestors held up peace signs and focused themselves on collecting the names of those being arrested.

Sep. 24 2011 05:55 PM
Anonymous

Nice choice picking the "hurr durr communist" sign, wnyc. Now everyone's going to assume this is just a bunch of communists and support the rich idiots that are actively screwing us over. Because, you know, caring about your fellow man leads to gulags.

Sep. 24 2011 05:47 PM