The Rogue: Searching for the Real Sarah Palin

Monday, September 19, 2011

Joe McGinniss talks about his controversial investigation of Sarah Palin as an individual, politician, and cultural phenomenon. The Rogue: Searching for the Real Sarah Palin is based on his on-the-ground reporting and looks into Alaska’s political and business affairs and Palin’s political, personal, and family life to explain her beliefs, attitudes, and outlook, and influence.

Joe McGinniss

Rosemary McHugh from Brooklyn, NY

I am MOST ASSUREDLY not a fan of Mrs. Palin. However, I am still not sure why someone with Mr McGinnis' journalistic past wrote a book about her. That question was never asked. In fact, the questions were so softball--sounded like they were as rehearsed as Palin's "interviews" on Fox.
Since the book is a sponsor of the show, this seems suspect. This type of interview feeds right into Palin's victim saga and the Right's cries that Public media is biased.
You can do better than this. This book did not deserve a forum. Did he buy it with his sponsorship?

Sep. 21 2011 01:14 PM
ProChoiceGrandma from Virginia

The media has been covering up for Sarah Palin for 3+ years.

Compare: The Rogue Chapter 19: http://tinyurl.com/3nv3za3

to Factcheckdotorg's article: http://tinyurl.com/325g3dx that they based on ONE photo.

YOU DECIDE!

Sep. 20 2011 11:47 AM

McGinniss's tawdry tabloid trash has nothing to do with investigative journalism. It is just a collection of tendentious, undocumented gossip and rumor.Quite shameful, really.

Sep. 20 2011 07:39 AM
Sick of It All from NYC

A public figure is a hypocrite? STOP THE PRESSES!!

Sep. 20 2011 01:48 AM
Sick of It All from NYC

I can barely stand Palin's voice, let alone her repugnant politics, but...Somebody actually gave this goof money to write this book.
What a colossal waste of time, and ink.

So maybe she freaked out after Glen Rice for other reasons. Maybe she thought she got pregnant. Isn't there enough real racism out there that you have to invent it? This is real Woodward and Bernstein stuff you're digging up. Wow!

You're about 3 years too late with this book, pal.
You should give Rupert Murdoch a call. He might have something right up your alley.
Who CARES who the "real" Sarah Palin is?! Do you think she actually has a snowball's chance in hell to get elected president? PRESIDENT?! Are you daft, man?!

Sep. 20 2011 01:45 AM
Dee from Ithaca

The person inside of me who reads tabloids while in line at the supermarket was intrigued by this very long interview about a woman I just love to hate...
But another part of me was thinking "is this REALLY worthy of any time at all on "The Leonard Lopate Show"?

Sep. 19 2011 09:17 PM
sharon

I think Joe's book hits the mark with every word he wrote on that grifting wench. She has paraded her dysfunctional family across the national stage during the campaign, exposed them during the "reality" show - which was anything but.....and thru her lame books. Joe's right. She's a hyprocrite and wants it both ways and hopes everyone will listen to what she says and not what she's been doing. Nothing is ever her fault - she can dish it out but goes insane if someone gives it right back to her. She's a mean girl on a national stage and it is time for her to leave. We're sick of her and her lies and her trash family.

Sep. 19 2011 08:16 PM
John A.

Ha, I was at a Borders last day sale yesterday. Everything was set at $1.00. Two piles, of hardcovers, that weren't moving was of the book with Sarah as the full cover image, and one on Bristol.
Having said that -- this is (D)NY -- Sarah will be used to get votes next year and you just can't write her off, keep up the effort against Republican "message".

Sep. 19 2011 02:07 PM
Tisha

I do think McGinnis is dead on that she will not run. He put it exactly the way I have in conversations.

Sep. 19 2011 02:00 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

@ Tisha

I guess we're listening to a different interview. I haven't heard one "conspiracy theory"

Funny that no one can stand her and yet when someone digs the dirt on her everyone wants to shoot the messenger.

I can't see how any of these things could be LESS relevant. This woman almost became the VP of the United States. She may run again someday.

Yeah...it matters...it matters a LOT

Sep. 19 2011 01:53 PM
MFAN

I think the reason why Mike had to ask the Obama question was perfunctory. It's part of being fair, in the modern sense of having to present both sides as if they have equally valid points. As if you don't, the lunatics will jump on this. The plus side is that by putting it out there it becomes pretty absurd even on the surface.

Sep. 19 2011 01:53 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

The religious stuff is really not a surprise. If anyone has actually listened to what Palin says, her extreme religious extremism is pretty apparent...which is why I have viewed her as extremely dangerous

Hopefully her political career is truly as dead as some suggest.

Sep. 19 2011 01:49 PM
Tisha Hamilton

Idk--Mike seems spot on to me. he's trying to pin down an increasingly slippery-sounding
McGinnis. And p.s. I CAN'T STAND Sarah P. But listening to McGinnis and his conspiracy theorizing is like falling down a rabbit hole.

Sep. 19 2011 01:49 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

What the hell is Mike's freaking problem?

Is he daft? How is it unfair if that is in fact what these people said??????? You ever heard of presenting evidence of a person's character in a court of law? How is this different?

And, nice (i.e. pathetic) try with the Obama question. The author swatted that down pretty easily.

Pathetic Mike...I mean, really...

Sep. 19 2011 01:44 PM

Palin's a grifter, McGinniss is a stalker. More important is Pesca pronouncing Eric Ripert's restaurant as "Le Bernadeen"!

Sep. 19 2011 01:44 PM
Dan K from NYC

She is politically dead, yet the mainstream media continue to talk about her as if she's still a player. Hopefully this book will finish her off for everyone.

Sep. 19 2011 01:42 PM
Evan

I disagree vehemently with Sarah Palin, but find this whole interview and the book a little unseemly. Anonymous sources are one thing when it involves a matter of national security or interest, like Deep Throat and Watergate. They're another for something like the birth of her son or with whom she had sex before she was married. I think we need to distinguish between the "right to know" and the "right of the press to flog cheap gossip."

Sep. 19 2011 01:42 PM
Fuva from Harlemworld

To question how a racist can nevertheless have (often coerced) sex with someone of the race he/she belittles is to have a common lack of understanding of how race and racism works...The plantations were full of "half-breeds"...

Sep. 19 2011 01:40 PM

Sarah Palin is a failed governor who resigned while being investigated. She is a hate monger. She needs to study american history. She is unqualified for public office.

She is perfect for a fox news talking head.

Sep. 19 2011 01:30 PM
Vinny from Manalapan, NJ

I'll go my way, you go mine. heh.

Sep. 19 2011 01:26 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Remind me, please, who is Sarah Palin again? Seems like ancient history now.

Sep. 19 2011 11:46 AM