Michael Moore: Here Comes Trouble

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Oscar-winning filmmaker, bestselling author, the nation's unofficial provocateur Michael Moore tells stories from his own life. His autobiography, Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life, includes 24 far-ranging, irreverent, and stranger-than-fiction vignettes of his own experiences.

Michael Moore

maria

I saw most of MM documentary and like them a lot.But part of his interview made me very angry.So he is against a death penalty,and it's OK for someone to enter somebody house to burglarize it and kill an innocent women in her own home,but it's not OK for us to kill a KILLER.We have to spend our money to keep him in prison for a life????????????????
I wish for you Mr Moore to lose someone very close to you to a violent act,maybe it will make you to wake up and feel a pain.

Sep. 15 2011 05:51 PM
Rhonda from Oregon City

I love you, Michael. You are to progressive media what Sartre was to existentialism or Cezanne to cubism! Having said that, can I interest you in my idea for your next cause-celebre? It's worthy of your time and talents. Truly. Text me!

Sep. 13 2011 08:55 PM

Attn: Moderator,

Please remove the comment concerning STOOMZEE from "anonymous whistle blower" since his statement is untrue and threatening.

I appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

Sep. 13 2011 07:55 PM

Thank you Mike. I got the book on Nook today and am reading it (and I got your joke about ereaders). Full of great anecdotes and your homespun humor; reminds me of A Christmas Story. I can assure you that your book will be a Christmas gift for several friends and relatives of mine.

By the way, you did thank the Academy in your speech: "On behalf of our producers Kathleen Glenn and Michael Donovan from Canada, I'd like to thank the Academy for this award."

Sep. 13 2011 06:49 PM
David

Here's a different view of the "glorious" National Health Insurance that Michael believes is so "wonderful" (not that our healthcare system is much better).

Sep. 13 2011 06:24 PM
Mary K. Grimm from Shawnee, KS

Sweet! <3

Sep. 13 2011 04:40 PM
Sam

MFan - I'm not sure where you read in there that his being a jerk is an excuse for violence. I never said that - you know I never said that. You said that.

Tony - No. The majority of Americans are centerists or even center-right. Moore got one thing right - his mother's conservativsm is NOT the conservativism of today. Just as the JFK's liberals are not the liberals of today. They *are* socialists. And the vast majority of this country are not are not. They are reject socialism and the authoritarianism associated with it.

Sep. 13 2011 02:08 PM
Cringing from Everywhere

Since when is it acceptable to threaten and wish death and/or arrest on people because we don't like what they're saying?
What kind of civilization is this? I may disagree with you, I may think you are nutty or dis-informed, but I wouldn't wish horrible things on you.
The tone of our rhetoric is hateful and not helpful. It lowers all of us. Come on folks, let's aspire to something better.
For Eric: stop cringing. We all have moments like yours from our youth that haunt us; just smile when you hear or see some other well-intended kid doing the same thing, and try to help him or her move past it.

Sep. 13 2011 02:07 PM
Opal from NYC

I thought MM would enjoy this. I emailed Boehner who is slamming S.S. because I'm sure he would like privatize it. I told him I could probably not get such insurance because I have a pre-existing condition--aging.

Enjoyed hearing you Michael. Liked you too Elliot.
Opal
NYC

Sep. 13 2011 01:59 PM
anonymous whistle blower

to STOOMZEE - you are being reported to the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America). By posting the film on the web, I would assume that you have not asked permission or paid any licensing fees. As such, unauthorized use of copyrighted materials is punishable by a stiff fine, your IP address will be known to all, and you will probably end up trading places with those hikers in Iran, or worse.

Sep. 13 2011 01:55 PM
Matt from Brooklyn

How do you justify abortion but are against death penalty

Sep. 13 2011 01:50 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Sam -- considering that Bush and Cheney continue to get abysmal approval ratings from practically every sector of the populace, shouldn't you be condemning the majority of Americans and not just commie liberals?

Sep. 13 2011 01:46 PM
nick soph

As a Brit I'm not particularly well informed on the US but still find it astonishing that there those who villify m Moore for trying to explain why Bush targeted the wrong people whist seeking revenge for 9/11. Doamericans still believe Saddam Hussein had something to do with the attacks on the US? Are they really unaware of the individuals who personally profited fromthe warand their roles in instigating it? There is a growing sentimtnt in the uk that Blair be held to account, is this reflected in the US?

Sep. 13 2011 01:45 PM
Robin from Queens

Thank you Michael.

Sep. 13 2011 01:42 PM
MFan from Staten Island

"I'm sure it's easy to laugh and blame the right wing media, but has anyone considered the fact that the visceral reaction to Michael Moore is because he's a huge jerk?"

So that excuses physical violence towards a person? This is a point that Bill Maher has made after the Giffords shooting and I think is incredibly accurate. When political violence happens, you don't even need to ask which side it's from. That is just the default of this mentality. See: the applause at Rick Perry when bragging about executions. That is just moral and mental sickness.

Sep. 13 2011 01:35 PM
Palisades from NYC

How can everyone call Hollywood 'liberal' when Mr. Moore's award speech was received so poorly at the time?

Sep. 13 2011 01:33 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

I'm glad Michael Moore's around to rattle the status quo.

Sep. 13 2011 01:31 PM
Susanna from Manhattan

I just saw Roger & Me for the first time, and all I could think while watching it was that Flint in 1985 was our gorilla in the coal mine. (Yes, I do mean gorilla.) Why didn't we see the writing on the wall then?

Sep. 13 2011 01:30 PM
john from office

When the police sate comes, Mr. Moore will be the first hypocrate/false/intellectual arrested.

Sep. 13 2011 01:30 PM
Sam

It's the exact same "chip" that liberals have when they see Cheney, Rove or Bush on TV - just tuned to the left. Which, of course, makes the behavior OK.

Sep. 13 2011 01:29 PM
barent

a great man.........screw the haters.........

Sep. 13 2011 12:51 PM
STOOMZEE from Northport, NY

Hi Michael - I hope maybe we get a chance to here your take on Artificial Intelligence and the A.I. Steven Spielberg & Stanley Kubrick movie today! I just put the entire movie 2:25 min. (1 long YouTube Video) on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Stoomzee
I don't want people to forget about the scientific achievements we have made and the power of our imaginations which are limitless...
Thanks,
Kevin McMahon
Stoomzee.com
Northport, NY

Sep. 13 2011 11:30 AM
Eric from Brooklyn

When I was 13, Michael Moore was on Leonard Lopate's program (then named New York and Company) and I called in. When I got on the air, I realized I had absolutely nothing to say (while my grandmother yelled at me for what she thought must have constituted a costly phone call). In a panic, I asked some nonsensical question about a story from TV Nation, something to do with baby carriages. I was so humiliated, I still cringe about it.

Now I'm 30 and I can hide behind the Internet and it's a relief. And I can ask my question with lots of time to think about it:

Does Michael have any regrets about anything he has ever said in public about any issue?

Sep. 13 2011 10:21 AM