Decade 9/11 | Ten Years Later in Photos

Sunday, September 11, 2011

People gathered at the World Trade Center site to mark the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks (Stephen Nessen/WNYC)

People gathered at the World Trade Center site on Sunday to mark the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks. And on Monday, the 9/11 memorial plaza is set to open to the public for the first time. Take a look at how New Yorkers remembered the terror attacks.

Ten years after the September 11 attacks, WNYC reflects on what was lost in the tragedy, celebrates the resiliency of the human spirit and explores the emotions tied to an event that forever changed New York, the nation and the world.

Listen, read and share with us:

Stephen Nessen/WNYC
President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama attended the 10th anniversary ceremony at ground zero
Stephen Nessen/WNYC
President Barack Obama attended the ceremony at the site of the World Trade Center
Mayor Michael Bloomberg at the 9/11 10th anniversary ceremony
President Barack Obama and George Bush attend the ceremony
Protests near ground zero on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks
Workers watching the ceremony from World Trade Center 1
Protests near ground zero on the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks
NYPD, security, 9/11, officers
Trinity Church on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks
Near ground zero on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks
Stephen Nessen/WNYC
Many gathered at the site of the World Trade Center to mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks
Stephen Nessen/WNYC
People gathered at the site of the World Trade Center to mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks
Tribute in light seen from Brooklyn Bridge Park, September 11, 2011.
Stephen Nessen/WNYC

Tribute in light seen from Brooklyn Bridge Park, September 11, 2011.

Tribute in light seen from Brooklyn Bridge Park, September 11, 2011.
Stephen Nessen/WNYC

Tribute in light seen from Brooklyn Bridge Park, September 11, 2011.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Kathy Libraty from Brooklyn, New York

SEPTEMBER MORNING

September morning,
Our pace interrupted cold
Without warning.

Lives tumbling from the sky.
Dreams abruptly torn away.
Papers gently floating on warm currents.
Fragments of tangled tasks …..unfinished.
Scraps scarred, scraped in chaotic anger.

Dust covered figures, lost, roaming,
Bewildered on screech shattered streets.
Charred bodies tangled in chemical toxins;
Twisted metal, asbestos, smoldering plastic,
Spikes of glass projecting through a cloud of fear.

Disturbed by the same nightmare,
Shared by Saviors and survivors
Scents, screams and potent dreams

of that

September Morning.

By
Kathy Libraty

Sep. 11 2011 04:52 PM
Alberto reyes from New York

My photos

Sep. 11 2011 12:43 PM
jeff rozany from manhattan

It was nice to hear you play Marvin Gaye today. I spent a fair amount of time with the special edition of What's Goin' On this summer. So many things he sang about 40 years ago and still many things haven't changed. It's sad.

I knew my bass teacher from the Detroit Symphony had recorded on some Motown tracks but it was especially nice to see his name listed on the credits. I feel connected.

Jeff Rozany

Sep. 11 2011 12:34 PM
thcatt from bergen county, NJ

a day of remembrance to be sure, but let's also not forget that there are thousands, if not millions who celebrate birthdays and anniversaries on this date. 'it is but one day a year.'
move on.

Sep. 11 2011 12:32 PM
scott lundberg from Brooklyn

I am so impressed by the honor and elegance of the people who were touched by this tragic event. It is truely contrasted by the impersonal impotence displayed by the loser leaders of our culture with their cribbed words from actual leaders, pop songs, and victims.

Is there a term for a grave robbing press pig?

Sep. 11 2011 11:34 AM
Maria from Rockland County, NY

I saw their small fingers trace the letters—the letters of their loved-one’s name on the marble of the memorial today. Children teach me every day. I remembered the small hands I held that bright morning ten years ago as a cloud was cast above us all. I could not display my fear that morning because it was my duty to keep my students safe and secure. I held back the tears and prayed their mommies and daddies would be there to receive them at day’s end.
I held their hands as I escorted the lively bodies of my beginning kindergarteners to the gymnasium. The live news broadcast could be seen on a hastily arranged television in the library. As I escorted my kindergartners past, I averted my eyes. Instead, I complimented the children just learning to walk in file. I held their hands. They held mine. I stopped at the library and watched in disbelief. I called my loved ones who witnessed the disaster. We were stunned and heart stricken. I took a deep breath. I walked back to the gymnasium and escorted my young students back to our classroom where we continued learning--learning from each other.
At day’s end I boarded a bus filled with kindergarten and first grade students. We were charged with ensuring that each child was met with open arms, and to return to school and reassure any who were not. Each time I held a small hand to step off the bus where they would dash into open arms, I breathed deeply in relief. I held back my tears while they fell abundantly from those receiving arms. Some small hands waved goodbye. Silent lips formed the words “thank you.” We shared sad smiles.
Today the small hands I witnessed tracing the letters of the names of their loved-one’s reminded me of what my students have taught me through the years. DO something with what is at hand. Children don’t just look and listen; children touch. They explore and manage things to gain greater understanding. Today, on the tenth anniversary of September 11, 2001, I am reminded to touch—to gently touch the lives and hearts of those around me. I am reminded to DO—to be of service to my community—to help explore what ails us and the problems we face together. I am reminded to do whatever I can to help myself and others.
Hold a hand…small or large, light or dark. Guide or be guided. Watch the hands of the children in your care, and recall the children we were.
Trace hope; trace peace. Watch the hands and learn.
María Vega-Cabrera