Did You Stay or Did You Go?

Monday, September 12, 2011

New Yorkers had a range of reactions to 9/11; some decided to leave the city in the weeks and months after the attacks, others felt the need to stay. We’ll speak with musicians Laurie Anderson, Joan Osborne, and Dar Williams about how they felt about 9/11 and their decisions to either keep living here or to move away.

We’ll also take calls from listeners, share your story below!

Laurie Anderson, Joan Osborne and Dar Williams

Allan from Highland Park, NJ

I am so, so, SO unhappy that strength of feeling substitutes for clearness of thought around some of these issues. If we don't acknowledge the bravery, creativity, and audacity of our opponents, we will have a much harder time defeating them. As a concrete example, prior to 2001, FAA screening rules assumed that terrorists would not be willing to die in their own attacks, and so we didn't have adequate protections in place.

And so this kind of thought-policing which wants to allow only certain opinions to be expressed is not only interfereing with artistic and intellectual expression, but even interfering with our ability to think clearly about the problems. I think it's worth pointing this out.

Sep. 12 2011 01:05 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

@Mike from Inwood

Possibly...possibly. Well, only if we keep our sense of humor about who we are and where we come from. And allow ourselves and others to identify how they want.

I'm signing off Mike, have a nice end of the day.

Sep. 12 2011 01:02 PM
Mike from Inwood

Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY replies: "Tough crowd! ;~) Well that's okay, since NY thrives on immigrants, that's how we were founded after all"

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being from somewhere else. I am proud of where I'm from as I'm sure you are, too. It's just as good (and maybe even better!) than being a "New Yorker".

Sep. 12 2011 12:57 PM
Mike from Inwood

catie from NYC asks: "as an immigrant who has lived in NYC for 6 years I'd really to know when people start calling themselves NYers and what qualifies someone as a NYer."

Some people will never consider you to be a New Yorker since you were not born here. I was born and grew up in upstate New York and have lived in NYC for over 23 years. I will never consider myself to be "from" NYC. I also don't want to think of myself as a "New Yorker".

Sep. 12 2011 12:52 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

@ Mike from Inwood

Tough crowd! ;~)

Well that's okay, since NY thrives on immigrants, that's how we were founded after all.

Sep. 12 2011 12:51 PM
peter from Manhattan from Downtown, less than one mile from Ground Zero

Almost everything Tess just said is incorrect. its Ok, because its an emotional response. Kamakazi pilots are not cowards. thats what the hijackers were. cowards do not fly Kamakazi missions, regardless of the target. Our vaunted US Military was asleep at the wheel on that day. They left us defenseless, ignoring dozens of specific warnings, and refusing to use the much tested and verified FAA/NORAD procedures for intercepting commercial aircraft that go off course. There is no criminal evidence that OBL was involved in the actual operation of the attack, thats why the FBI did NOT have him on the Ten Most Wanted list for 9/11. he was not 'on the run', he was living comfortably in that 'safe' for ages. Sorry, Tess, but our sacrifice was used by an giant war machine to inflict MILLIONS of casualties on innocent people in the middle east and central asia. Is that what you want? Revenge of 10,000 slain for every American killed? Take your emotion and reflect about the events, and find solace in a place other than pure revenge.

Sep. 12 2011 12:50 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

@DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Oh Phew!

;~)

Sep. 12 2011 12:49 PM
Mike from Inwood

Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY replies to
@DarkSymbolist from NYC!: "Well _I_ came to this country when I was 5, I was raised in Manhattan, lived in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens...so there! ;~)"

Well, Sophie, you are an immigrant and not even American, regardless of what your citizenship may have been changed to.

Sep. 12 2011 12:47 PM
Peter

The previous caller asked a direct question regarding the cowardice or lack thereof of the hijackers. I don't think the host did a good job of gathering a direct response from all the guests. What is the host afraid of?

Sep. 12 2011 12:44 PM
Mike from Inwood

I also agree that all this 9/11 coverage is excessive. All the wallowing in pity makes it harder for the families to move on, too. I'm not interested in hearing the names read for hours with bells ringing over the radio and I don't care what music other people feel is appropriate. Furthermore, the world has not stopped. Other things are happening, please report on those.

Sep. 12 2011 12:43 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

@ Sophie

Lol, well my point was simply that I would then consider you (in my opinion) a New Yorker, not a Brooklynite, Bronxian or whatever..

You're a New Yorker! :)

Sep. 12 2011 12:42 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

Actually, this is an extremely boring interview. Maybe that's the reason Laurie left (if she did leave).

Sep. 12 2011 12:42 PM
Nigia from NYC

The tenderness was outstanding. I have lived here all my life. I'm am artist and felt this was the finest time to be here. It was not a New York moment like no other and the rest of the USA will never know that moment. The old funk of the city is gone. If I move it will be due to lack funds or artistic magic.

Sep. 12 2011 12:41 PM
Mike from Inwood

Perhaps the suicide attacks were not cowardly, but hey were hardly acts of bravery. All those involved thought they were going to be rewarded with 72 virgins feding them grapes.

Sep. 12 2011 12:39 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

@DarkSymbolist from NYC!

Sep. 12 2011 12:38 PM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

@ Sophie

I was born in the Bronx and have lived in Manhattan and Brooklyn and the Bronx in the course of my life.

Born and bred, I am a native New Yorker.

Sep. 12 2011 12:36 PM
d.gabriello from NYC

Did Laurie actually leave? And if so why? Please answer, thanks.

Sep. 12 2011 12:35 PM
NABNYC from SoCal

I watched a little bit of the coverage this week-end. I see no benefit in wallowing in emotion, on a national level, every year on 9/11 because 3000 Americans were murdered. Yes, it was horrible, an atrocity. But we always skip the part about our country turning around and murdering something between 100,000 and 1 million people who had absolutely nothing to do with this.

I'm also a little disgusted at the self-absorbed unprofessional level of media coverage, which mostly consisted of asking the reporters themselves to describe how they felt, where they were. Honestly, no analysis, no perspective? It's just all about me. Who really cares that Ron Ansana came into the NBC studios and instead of trying to remove the dust from his clothing, he left it there for a good camera shot.

It seems like 10 years would have been enough time for the media to come up with an intelligent means of covering the issue, including the waste of money, all the wars, all the weapons, all the people we've killed, all the refugees we've created, for what? Because a handful of hijackers flew airplanes into buildings. Our media is pathetic.

Sep. 12 2011 12:30 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

In my opinion, a NYer is anyone who lives in NY--the state that is. Otherwise you're a Brooklynite, a Manhattanite, a Queens....any thoughts on that?

Sep. 12 2011 12:26 PM
catie from NYC

Sep. 12 2011 12:22 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

I agree this coverage is over the top and exhausting.

Sep. 12 2011 12:15 PM
Steve from NYC

Can you please move on from all the 9/11 coverage?

Sep. 12 2011 12:10 PM