If you're planning on driving to Lower Manhattan this weekend for the tenth anniversary of 9/11, don't. Or to use the language of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority: "Motorists are strongly cautioned to avoid driving in the area." Drivers will encounter tunnel closures, frozen zones and blocked streets throughout the weekend.
The anniversary ceremony is scheduled to take place on Sunday, September 11, at the World Trade Center construction site from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. The security perimeter will be expansive, the better to protect attendees, such as President Barack Obama and former President George W. Bush.
Here are the closures we know of now. WNYC will update this list as we learn more.
• From 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Sunday, the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel will be closed intermittently at the direction of New York Police Department.
• From 11 p.m. on Saturday to 5 a.m. on Monday, the Brooklyn-bound West Street underpass will be closed.
• From 12:01 a.m. on Saturday to Sunday evening, West Street will be closed from Albany Street north past the WTC site. All traffic exiting the Battery Tunnel will be detoured south to Battery Park or the Battery Park underpass. The Battery Park underpass from the southbound FDR Drive will be closed. Drivers heading to Brooklyn will be able to get to the tunnel through local streets only.
• Beginning at 5 a.m. on Sunday, motorists heading to Brooklyn will not be able to get to the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel from West Street, south of Albany Street. The only Brooklyn-bound access to the tunnel is from local streets in Battery Park south of the tunnel entrance.
• From 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, the Trinity Place exit of the tunnel will be closed.
LOWER MANHATTAN STREETS
• West Street northbound between Battery Place and Murray Street will be closed from Friday at 11:59 pm to Monday at 5 am.
• West Street southbound between Battery Place and Chambers Street will be closed from Sunday at 5 am to Monday at 5 am.
• Church Street/Trinity Place between Rector Street and Barclay Street will be closed Sunday from 5 am to 5 pm.
• Broadway will remain open to vehicles.
• The Vesey Street and Liberty Street pedestrian bridges will be closed throughout the day on Sunday. To cross West Street, pedestrians will be directed north to cross at Warren Street or south to cross at Rector Street.
These streets will be closed to traffic and parking from Saturday at 8 am to Sunday at 8 pm. Pedestrian access will be very limited.
• Warren Street between West Street and West Broadway
• Murray Street and Barclay Street between West Street and Church Street
• Park Place between Greenwich Street and Broadway
• Greenwich Street and West Broadway between Warren Street and Vesey Street
• Vesey Street between North End Avenue and West Street
• Vesey, Fulton, Dey and Cortlandt Streets between Church Street and Broadway
• Liberty Street between South End Avenue and West Street and between Greenwich Street and Broadway
• Albany Street between South End Avenue and Greenwich Street
• Cedar Street and Thames Street between Greenwich Street and Broadway
• Carlisle Street between West Street and Greenwich Street
• South End Avenue between Liberty Street and Thames Street
• Washington Street between Albany Street and Rector Street
• Greenwich Street between Liberty Street and Rector Street
From 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. on Sunday, PATH trains will run every five minutes on the Newark to World Trade Center line.
From 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Sunday, service will be suspended to and from the World Trade Center PATH Station, which will have restricted access.
While PATH service to the World Trade Center is suspended, customers are advised to use its other lines from Journal Square and Hoboken to connect with New York City subway service at 14th Street to reach Lower Manhattan.
Once PATH service resumes, it will operate at an increased level as demanded throughout the day. Schedule changes on Sunday will be announced on information screens at station platforms and in new trains.
• From 5 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday, all streets from Battery Place to Vesey Street between the west side of Broadway and the east side of West Street will be closed. Bus diversions will affect the following routes: M5, M20, M22, X1 and X10.
• From 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Sunday, NYC Transit will close all subway staircases on Church Street at Park Place, Barclay Street and Vesey Street. Trains will bypass the Cortlandt Street R station in both directions. Subway staircases on Church Street at Chambers, Warren and Murray Street will remain open as well as staircases at the east end of Park Place on Broadway.