Back to School Fashion Issues

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Mira Jacob, deputy editor of Babble.com, takes calls from parents about the fashion items kids want this year and whether parents have a problem with them.

Parents: Tell us what's trending in kids' fashion and if you have a problem with any of the trends. Call 212-433-WNYC or comment here.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Margaret from Manhattan

Abigail Feder-Kane stole my thunder. I was outraged at the anti-intellectual JCP tees for boys. "Friends" giving someone crap for shoes that aren't expensive enough is evidence of a sick society. Teach: if that's what their values are like, they aren't that close to you; try to influence them for the better.

Sep. 08 2011 06:04 PM

A couple of years ago I substituted in NJ and noticed a trend of boys (grades 4 and up) with both ears pierced wearing big diamond earrings. I thought they looked kind of ridiculous and it looked like a rapper/gangsta thing and wondered why the school district allowed it not to mention - what the hell were the parents thinking??!!

Sep. 08 2011 12:28 PM
Jim from Somerville, NJ

I teach at a community college, and the latest fashion trend that I see can be summed up in the very pithy lyrics of a song from the 50s: Males: "Who wears short shorts?" Females: "We wear short shorts."

Sep. 08 2011 11:31 AM
dz

Just wanted to say that I took my shy 12 year old girl to H&M for back to school shopping, and it was really hard to find something unprovocative. We ended up browsing the boys' section. Perhaps the manufacturers need to view little girls differently as well as parents.

Sep. 08 2011 11:02 AM
Erika from Brooklyn

Of course little girls want to dress like princesses and wear little plastic heals and makeup. Little girls like to pretend to be adults. I loved these things when I was a kid but the difference was my mother had enough sense to not let me wear any of these things out of the house!

Sep. 08 2011 11:01 AM
Amy Wright from Bronx

There is pressure on boys-my son has friends that spend a shocking amount on their sneakers-and give him crap for not doing so.

Sep. 08 2011 10:59 AM
Brenda from NYC

Padded bikini tops for 7 year olds. What exactly is a parent's expectation for their daughter when they buy them this? Is it that much different than skinny jeans on a toddler, princess costumes and high heels on a 5 year old. What are our hopes for our girls? Is it any wonder young women are so confused about appropriate dress. To read more: http://heresheisboys.com/2011/09/02/love-labors-loss/

Sep. 08 2011 10:56 AM
Abigail Feder-Kane from Manhattan

With all the JC Penney flap, did anyone notice that Old Navy has a boy's t-shirt that says "Homework is not on my vocabulary" and another that reads "Wake Me When It's Lunch Time"? Girls are not the only ones being marketed with poor, gender stereotypes. http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=15908&vid=1&pid=169438&scid=169438032

Sep. 08 2011 10:56 AM
rich k from UCNJ

"I'm too pretty to do my homework"? How about "smart is the new pretty"?

Sep. 08 2011 10:55 AM
DarkSymbolist from NYC!

JC Penny was trying to cash in on this horrible "Princess culture" that has arisen in the last few years....

Yes, you would think women's lib never occured

Sep. 08 2011 10:55 AM