Opinion: What if we Blamed Obama for the IHOP Shooting? Crazy, Huh?

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 01:49 PM

If you're looking for someone to blame for the horrific shooting of National Guardsmen at a Carson, Nevada IHOP yesterday look no further: I blame president Obama.

Allow me connect the dots.

On Labor Day Monday, the day before the shooting, the president took to the stage in Detroit to address a Labor Day Rally. Shortly before Obama's speech, Teamster leader James Hoffa spoke. Calling Republicans "sons of bitches" he assured the president that "this is your army. We are ready to march" and that it was time to take the other side "out". The president didn't disavow the remarks when he spoke shortly thereafter which would imply, if he were a Republican and the media cared about covering it, that he agreed with Hoffa.

Obviously the crazed Carson gunman heard the call to arms and shot at military members, a segment of the population traditionally aligned with those Republicans he was instructed to "take out." Taking the president's silence as tacit agreement, the gunman followed the instructions given to him. President Obama really should apologize to the families of the dead and to the country.

No? That sounds crazy? Is it disgusting that someone would take a tragedy like the one in Carson and distort and politicize it? Are you repulsed that someone would even make this kind of ridiculous, random and unfounded connection? Welcome to our world, liberals. Did you think the same thing when Sarah Palin was essentially blamed for the shooting in Tuscon? Was it ok that the NY Times pushed the line that "rhetoric", especially rhetoric on the right, was to blame for the actions of a deranged man, even after it became crystal clear that it wasn't?

Writes the brilliant Allahpundit:

Speaking of change, my favorite part of the Hoffa story is the left’s defense that he was talking specifically about voting when he called for taking those tea-party “sons of bitches” out. That’s super, but the whole point of the “new tone” demagoguery after Tucson was that intent doesn’t matter. Go re-read Palin’s Facebook post from March 2010 showcasing the crosshairs map that the media would make famous 10 months later.
Sample quote: “This is just the first salvo in a fight to elect people across the nation who will bring common sense to Washington.” Elections. Voting. And yet it didn’t matter to our liberal betters after Giffords was shot; the argument then was that the political “climate” in America had become so heated that it was irresponsible to use violent rhetoric or imagery even in service to a perfectly pedestrian nonviolent call for voter turnout.
Remember? We were all going to clean up our language lest the scrambled brains of the Jared Loughners of the world derive some sort of incitement to murder from them where none was intended.

It's been months since Tucson but it's hard to forget the repulsive behavior exhibited by so many on the left. The finger-pointing in the wake of that tragedy was unacceptable and unforgettable. To have the president shrug at these sorts of comments from someone on his own side, while sharing a stage, is a problem.

As with so many ridiculous things president Obama does, I invite you to imagine if it were a Republican president instead. It would be wall to wall coverage of Hoffa's comments, probably interspersed with footage of the Republican shaking his hand, taking the same stage, etc. If you believe in fairness, and you so much as mentioned "rhetoric" or Sarah Palin's map after Tucson, there's only one thing to do today: hold president Obama accountable for the Carson shootings.

Born in the Soviet Union and raised in Brooklyn, Karol Markowicz is a public relations consultant in NYC and a veteran of Republican campaigns in four states. She blogs about politics at Alarming News and about life in the city with her husband and baby at 212 BabyShe can be followed on Twitter.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Mark from NY

The whole subject of this post is so completely absurd that I don't have any interest in joining into this non-conversation about nothing.
However, I would love to know if anybody could help me understand what is ertdfg talking about (because obviously he cannot...)

Sep. 10 2011 07:26 PM
Jack Jackson from Central New Jersey

Pretty far off the mark on this one, Karol. Hoffa's remarks aren't Obama's. But SP's ill-thought gunsite campaign literature and candidate Angle's 'Second Amendment' remedies' comment were beyond the pale but they are part of the public record. Neither Hoffa's or Palin's remarks caused these shootings -- except to deranged minds. What you are on about is way that the 'fill the air' media latched on the 'heated rhetoric' meme. I wish it were different,too.

Sep. 10 2011 01:10 AM
Fishaddict

Megan from Reality, Obama also has never been photographed actually working or being Presidential so are you saying he is a complete waste of oxygen or just another liberal socialist...but I repeat myself.

Sep. 09 2011 02:12 PM
Isfer

I’m not a SP fan but now I understand why the left and pundits are attacking SP supporters. The truth is they are so desperate and scared for SP to run for President because they know that she is a candidate to bet, with millions of diehard supporters behind her one’s she declared her candidacy it will automatically double or triple in counting and like it or not she can be elected and be the first woman to become President of USA.

Sep. 08 2011 04:08 PM
Gerri from Buffalo, NY

OMG!!!! I can't believe all the bigotry and hate I am seeing here. Of course Obama is not responsible for the shooting. But the ugly violent retoric of the Grande Ole Puglians and their tea bagging ilk. I see it as Karl Rove, George Bush's, Sarah Palin, and John "Pop-gun" McCain's fault for ginning up the animals. Throw in the trinity of evil as well -- Lush Limburg, Bill O'really, and Sean Insanity.

Sep. 08 2011 01:17 PM
It's A Free Country Producers

Hey folks, keep up the great conversation but please remember to keep it civil. Thanks!

Sep. 08 2011 10:54 AM
Karol from NYC

Torus34, I was obviously joking.

The rest of you: if your comment is trying to prove how the Carson shooting is different from the Tucson shooting, and how Sarah Palin did have culpability in the latter, then you have clearly missed the point.

Sep. 08 2011 10:02 AM

Dear Ms. Markowicz;

Re: 'If I don't get called an idiot at least once in the comment section I feel like I'm doing something wrong.'

It really doesn't require much effort to make a statement that someone will consider as, well, idiotic. I'll not burden you with an example.

I question the wisdom of attempting to incite someone to make an ad hominem attack of that nature. It has the effect, I should think, of reducing the ability of one's argument to persuade.

But perhaps persuasion is not your purpose.

Sep. 08 2011 07:41 AM
tyfani from nyc

Just because you can fabricate an analogy, doesn't mean you can prove a point-- Unless, of course, by "sons of bitches," Hoffa was talking about pancake lovers.
Like a person before me noted, a political leader wasn't targeted, this wasn't at a political event, and therefore we have no reason to believe this was politically motivated.. On the other hand, our openly gun- happy Mrs. Palin directly singled out Gifford and others, with cross-hair illustrations.

I don't understand why you think these two events are comparable.

Sep. 08 2011 06:59 AM
gene kemp from dayton,nv

i'm really starting to think technology is ruining this country,a lot of you guys read WAY too much crap online. for as long as anyone can remember people have been walking into places and shooting other people, this is a very violent country and all ways has been.

Sep. 08 2011 02:07 AM

Mike, when I first read your post, I thought you were making a subtly ironic critique of Megan's ridiculous and fact-challenged post. But after further review, I'm afraid you might have been serious with your post. So, in case you were actually serious, let me "put you some education", in the immortal words of Paul Anka.

First, as any self-respecting Lib would know, the National Guard represents the military, which is absolutely detested by Libs everywhere. It is, after all, composed of baby killers, butchers, rapists, and looters--just ask John F. Kerry, Sen. Durban, Harry Reid, or any other lib who commented on the military when Bush was in office during the Bush years (or for generations before, for that matter). Being baby killers, butchers, rapists, and looters, they would pretty much HAVE to be conservative, wouldn't they?

Now to your quote, "Also, did Obama himself use violent rhetoric at all?" How about "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun", or "I'm itching for a fight", or that a republican victory would mean "hand to hand combat", or "We talk to these folks...so I know whose ass to kick". So he sure is no stranger to violent rhetoric, and has been known to use it himself. He just refrained on Monday because Hoffa took the onus from him. So I guess now you can see Karol's point.

Sep. 07 2011 10:47 PM
Mike

What makes you think that National Guard members are Republicans? I thought that Republicans were against big government, and the military is a huge part of our government.
Also, did Obama himself use violent rhetoric at all? If he had, then I could see your point. But he didn't, another Democrat did. But, of course, the person had made that in the speech before his. Therefore, it's Obama's fault? I guess that it's Obama's fault that Weiner put inappropriate pictures of himself on the internet.

Sep. 07 2011 08:08 PM

Ok, Megan; lets pull some excerpts from this "conservative supporter's writings".

He thought 9/11 was an inside Job.
He thought Bush bullied us into 2 wars needlessly.
He liked watching flag burning videos.
He liked reading the Communist Manifesto.
...

This is "supporting conservative politics" for you Megan? I guess the Communist Manifesto is too far RIGHT you you to accept so it must be "conservative"? It was the "conservative view" that 9/11 was an inside job and Bush was an evil warmonger now?

I thought the relevant part of his writing/research/history was he was concerned about the “Government using grammar as mind-control” so he was a member of the party CRAZY.

But if you want to play liberal/conservative only and not allow a "crazy" explanation I'll play along... who thought 9/11 was an inside job, Bush was evil and tricked us into wars, flag burning is cool and trendy, and the Communist Manifesto is a good read...conservative or liberal?

I'm terrified how far left you'd have to be to think this is a set of conservative political positions.

But of course if you didn't research Loughner at all, never read any of his crazed writings, and didn't do any research beyond parroting someone else's words... I have to tell you someone lied to you.

He was a batcrap crazy lunatic who was involved in a lot of fringey stuff; some right, more left, and a whole lot of completely insane.

But if you want to go through his crazy and play "liberal/conservative" he was more liberal that conservative. I'd accept he was more crazy than both... but you don't seem willing to let it go. Want to play "research the crazy person" now? I've found sources for my 3 points above; care to play more?

Sep. 07 2011 05:18 PM
mark from or

The leftists on this comment page have a real problem with reading comprehension.

To the psycho who said "others got shot too!" yeah, a little girl, a judge, and a few others were killed in tuscon. That didn't stop you f-wads from making it all political.

To the psycho who said that this was the act of a crazy person, again, loughner is crazy, to the point where he is mentally incapable of standing trial. So, you're stupid, I guess is the main point of that.

To the rest of you leftists, its now been cleared as empty political rhetoric, so remember this: we're gonna take you sons of bitches out. You want war? We'll give you war. You bring a knife, I'm bringing a gun.

Metaphorically, of course. Please don't actually bring a knife to a voting booth. I know reading isn't any of your strong suits.

Your only strong suit is your ability to bleat on command "four legs good, two legs bad!"

Sep. 07 2011 05:06 PM
raugaj

Megan- you have missed the point which is that making spurious leaps to blame unassociated persons is ridiculous. Also, you are wrong about Loughner having a long history of supporting conservative causes. He had a variety of reading material and could just as easily be said to be a fan of Marx as of Reagan. Anyway, he is insane and it's silly to try to use logic to determine why he acted as he did.

Sep. 07 2011 05:04 PM
Darury

Megan from Reality -- "Jared Loughner had a history of supporting conservative politics and targeted a Democratic representative, but no one has been able to confirm Sencion's political convictions."

First, which reality is it that you're from, because it's obviously not the same one as the rest of us. If you don't recall, here's some comments about Jared Loughner:

Tweets from one apparent former friend who wrote he had once been "very liberal" and added, "he was leftwing when I knew him in hs & college, 3 years ago. So he may have changed, who knows."

Yup, sounds very right-wing to me.

If every Republican is going to be held responsible for any loud mouth shouting during an event, then surely our SCOAMF should be held responsible for someone who does his opening statement.

Sep. 07 2011 04:58 PM
Megan from Reality

“It’s been months since Tucson but it’s hard to forget the repulsive behavior exhibited by so many on the left. The finger-pointing in the wake of that tragedy was unacceptable and unforgettable.” Tell me, Karol, why are you doing the same thing here?

Since the president didn't immediately trip all over himself to argue against what Hoffa said, he's obviously at fault, making this just like Jared Loughner in Tucson. By "just like," I mean "not in any way like."

Sencion fired at civilians in the restaurant, including a person in a wheelchair--not just at the guardsmen. Obviously, he was going out of his way just to attack the military men, since clearly, no one else was hurt.

Sarah Palin proudly displays her love of guns and of hunting, even portraying family hunting trips in her TV show. Unless I've not searched hard enough, Obama's never been photographed hunting, nor has he been known to make a habit of it.

This piece is a fantastic display of a complete failure of logic.

Sep. 07 2011 04:50 PM
Bill Hedrick

"D Lynch

here is my freedom of speech comment you are an idioit for writing this "

ummm it helps your case that your opponent is an idiot if you can spell the word correctly.

Sep. 07 2011 04:35 PM
Pillar Church

...what say you when they find out that the ak-47 he used was part of operation fast and furious...

Sep. 07 2011 04:06 PM
Brittany

This entire article is one massive piece of failure, but I expect nothing less from conservative media.

Sep. 07 2011 04:05 PM
Jessica from Reality

But the shooter in Carson City shot civilians, not a Republican/Tea Party leader. He was at an IHOP, not a political event. There's no proof in any way that it was politically motivated. How is this comparable *at all* to the Giffords shooting? You're grasping at straws. Sad, pathetic little straws.

Sep. 07 2011 03:47 PM
SCOAMFOTUS from Golf Course

I'm surprised you didn't quote my speech from October 2010 where I actually encouraged Latinos to "punish our enemies".

Sep. 07 2011 03:39 PM
JLA from West Kentucky

Very good article. It demonstrates perfectly the absurdity of the Democrap Left. We all know that if the perfectly peaceful Tea Party ever did or said ANYTHING like the unions do & say on a daily basis it would be the opening story on damn near every evening newscast. Hell, for that matter it already is, and no one in the Tea Party has ever done or said anything even remotely akin to what the unions did in Wisconsin or what Hoffa said on Monday. The only reported violence at any Tea Party EVER has been when Leftists, Union Thugs & Democrap activists have shown up and started beating the crap out of Tea Party members, in one case even going so far as to bite a women's thumb off!!!!!! But we're the dangerous ones, yeah right.

As I said, very good article. Hopefully it will get some attention!

Sep. 07 2011 03:34 PM
RFN

D Lynch, expound on your comment please. Because right now, I'm only guessing you're a double digit IQ moron. However, maybe through some elucidation on your part, I can be sure of that or I can see that I misunderstood your original comment. Thanks.

Sep. 07 2011 03:32 PM
Karol from NYC

SH, as I mentioned in a previous post (http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/its-free-blog/2011/aug/24/opinion-whats-really-behind-bachmann-stupid-theme-usual-liberal-smugness/), "If I start picking on the dumb comments of Vice President Joe Biden we'll be here until winter."

DLynch, thanks! If I don't get called an idiot at least once in the comment section I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Sep. 07 2011 03:25 PM
D Lynch

here is my freedom of speech comment you are an idioit for writing this

Sep. 07 2011 03:14 PM
SCOAMF

Fortunately, my ATF has been instrumental in getting guns off our streets and onto Mexico's.

You're welcome.

Sep. 07 2011 03:13 PM
sh

I'm kind of amazed that you didn't mention the Vice President's AFL-CIO remarks:

"keeping the barbarians in the gates - you are the only ones to stop the onslaught"

The more the administration seeks to define conservatives and tea party members as subhuman members of society, the easier it is to attack and destroy. The less human you make your opponent, the less conscience you need to regard their demise.

Sep. 07 2011 03:11 PM