Profiting from Good Works

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Blake Mycoskie, founder of TOMS Shoes and the author of Start Something That Matters, says you can have it all-- profits and meaning-- by following his lead with TOMS Shoes' One for One strategy.

Blake Mycoskie
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

cjwqukqg from United States

<a href=http://www.xmpllc.com>lace wedding dress</a> There won't be a lot of chances for touch-ups unless you want to chance losing your place in the crowd. <a href=http://www.dresstoresale.co.uk>plus size party dresses</a> 89259590
<a href=http://www.bestdresseller.co.uk>http://www.bestdresseller.co.uk</a> xiljpev <a href=http://www.pandora2013onlinestore.co.uk>pandora online</a> 88884500 <a href=http://www.dresswoman.co.uk>long white evening dresses</a>

Mar. 06 2013 11:45 PM
phil micali from new york, ny

brilliant initiative. Congragulations. Called in and was in queue to give 30s pitch, but segment ended before i could get in batters' box. Pitch: I am co-founder and Chief Health Insurance Educator of bWell-informed, LLC, a personalized on line learning program to size up, very objectively ALL of your health insurance options and where help to pay for it may be available. It's easy, it's fast, and it's necessary to bWell-informed about health insurance. Business model is based on license fees from employer aggregators and from one time lead generation fees paid by brokers offering multiple insurance product offerings. Clients already within commercial and public Health Insurance Exchanges' business.

Sep. 06 2011 12:08 PM
desdemona finch from Brooklyn

But paper moving boxes eventually fall apart even when obtained from Freecycle.

More about Jugglebox:

Sep. 06 2011 12:01 PM
Lynne from NJ

What to do with those cardboard boxes after you move? Freecycle them! www.freecycle.org

Sep. 06 2011 11:59 AM

Wait a minute. So this guy started his company with 3 interns - unpaid labor. Or rich kids subsidized by their parents. Why not just call them volunteers?
Why not use volunteers (or hey, unemployed people) and then arrange for them to get profit sharing? The whole intern thing is abused no end and just like the Peace Corps it is pretty much an experience that can only be had by those who can afford it. Let charity start at home.

Sep. 06 2011 11:58 AM
Jane from Brooklyn

love the shoes, love the business concept and see it being duplicated all over the place.

my only problem is that the shoes are so poorly made. paying close to $100 for a pair that last 2 months can't be sustainable. i'm on my 3rd pair of the summer, and unfortunately think it's officially my last.

is there a way to do this with a better quality product?

Sep. 06 2011 11:57 AM
Fiorie from UES

My elevator pitch is for a cloth diaper company. While living in Brazil, like the locals, I witnessed countless mom's reusing paper diaper's bought at the store. I would like to make a for-profit company that sells diapers in industrialized countries, and makes a less-fancy version to sell in developing countries, at a lower price point. My company would employ the women from the developing countries to make all of the diapers, at a living wage.

I make diapers covers myself...My company name is Lollyflower...I sell on etsy http://www.Lollyflower.etsy.com

Sep. 06 2011 11:57 AM

there is an on-line coupon organization based in Columbus OH - Fooda. Tanisha Robinson is the founder; she sells off-price coupons to high end restaurants on-line, and give a percentage of the profits to the local food bank. I believe they are trying to get a presence in NYC and other cities around the country.

Sep. 06 2011 11:56 AM
Dominic from London, UK

Hi Brian,
Here's my pitch: I'm found of Pi Lifter Ltd, a company based in London, UK. We use math, and sport and IT to develop applications and programs to teach math in innovative ways. We are doing a program in a couple of weeks called 'Math in the Weightroom' where we teach math concepts using gym equipment. We believe that improving math education by putting math back in context is a social justice issue.

Sep. 06 2011 11:56 AM
tony from bayside

Hey Blake,
I am a web-designer that would love to relocate to LA!

Sep. 06 2011 11:53 AM
Diane from Westchester

My "elevator pitch" is for a service which will housetrain as many dogs as possible. Lack of housetraining is one of the main reasons (as much as 21%) that pet dogs are relinquished to animal shelters. A simple, easy to deliver telephone consultation service delivered by dog trainers could go a long way toward keeping these dogs in their homes, thus saving valuable municipal resources in this time of tight budgets. I have already started the service but would welcome funding to really get it up and running.

Sep. 06 2011 11:52 AM
Edward from NJ

Are they in any way obligated to maintain the donation to sale ratio? Obviously, it would be a PR nightmare, but other than that?

Sep. 06 2011 11:52 AM
Shana from Clinton Hill, Brooklyn

I recently created an organization called Broken Window that just had a clean up of the broken glass in Fort Greene Park. We'll be having more cleanups on the 10th, 18th and 25th. We meet at the Prison Ship Martyrs Monument at one o'clock on those dates. The glass will be sent to a facility in New Jersey for recycling. So please volunteer!

We also give free Bumblebee Habitat Seeds and will be giving away edible plants and seeds in the Spring.

Sep. 06 2011 11:52 AM
Monique from New York

I always wanted to open a day care in a senior center. Two birds with one stone - provide child care as well as companionship for seniors. It could be low cost and generate money for the senior center.

Sep. 06 2011 11:52 AM
Alex from NYC

Screening, anyone?

Sep. 06 2011 11:52 AM
John from Queens

I returned from Congo yesterday and am looking for a press to extract oil from my colleague's eucalyptus grove in Bukavu. The profits will go to a microfinancing program called Resolvenetwork.org. The press must be human powered.

Sep. 06 2011 11:51 AM
Mary Aileen Tlamsa from Bayside/Scranton.

I'm wearing my TOMS as I write. I received them for my birthday, and I, in turn, will give them as neat presents! The are very comfy.

Sep. 06 2011 11:48 AM
Oscar from Ny

Im so distraught at the tought of hearing nothing but lies from these old devils who have invented everything thats going on today..i get so sick of listening to the lies that these murderers tell everyday,..oh how these devils lie to the mass..liers liers pants on fire..

Sep. 06 2011 10:56 AM