Downtown Restaurants After 9/11

Friday, September 09, 2011

Restaurateurs Drew Nieporent, Michael Lomonaco (formerly of Windows on the World), and David Bouley all had restaurants in lower Manhattan on September 11, 2001. They describe the impact of the attacks and their aftermath on the restaurant scene in downtown Manhattan, and how it's changed in the last decade.

David Bouley, Michael Lomonaco and Drew Nieporent
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

tom from NYC

We lived on Murray St. between B'way & Church in the early '80s and we used to say the Hors d'Oeuvrerie was our local. It was very special going there on the WTC's 107th floor -- always an occasion. One evening, being lead to a table in the darkened room the host turned to me and said "Sir your flash lite is on". In my pants pocket I had a mini flash lite that I had absent mindedly been clicking on and off -- I must have left it on the on as we moved to our table. I looked down there it was glowing away. Funny.

Sep. 09 2011 02:07 PM
Ro @ Barraud Caterers

Bravo gentlemen! Please do go on and do what you all do SO well - fine food that people CAN'T cook at home. As a food industry professional I don't go out to eat dishes I can cook myself.

Don't be discouraged. There are plenty of people who want to experience more than meatballs & hamburgers - no matter how great they are. 'Dining' is more than feeding and sustenance. (What are we? Non-human animals?) Dining is also the intellectual, emotional, artistic & palatal experience.

Sep. 09 2011 01:46 PM
gwen from Tribeca

David Bouley was also sued by his insurance company over his 9/11 claims. The judge called Bouley's actions "troubling".

Story is here:

Sep. 09 2011 01:43 PM
Joseph Cavalieri from east village new york

I really don't understand the idea that restaurants are part of the community. It is only a slim segment of the community, often called "foodies" that have high paying jobs to support this lifestyle of going out to these places. Personally I can't relate to this discussion.

Sep. 09 2011 01:42 PM
Claude

I really liked the "Cellar In The Sky". Can you talk about that? I proposed to my wife there.

Sep. 09 2011 01:37 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie,NY

@gwen from Tribeca

Huh, I guess it helps to live in the neighborhood to know the inside scoop.

Sep. 09 2011 01:35 PM
gwen from Tribeca

I wish David Bouley supported his workers or the neighborhood. In the last two years he has shut Bouley Bakery and told his employees he was shutting his doors THAT day. He effectively kicked out a long term Greek restaurant, the owner sobbed the day he shut his doors and then defaulted on the lease leaving the spot run down and shuttered for two years now.

Sep. 09 2011 01:30 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

@Adrienne

Although I like hearing about how people came/come together in times of crisis. I do agree with you that it does feel over-the-top.

Sep. 09 2011 01:30 PM
Adrienne

Me again, voicing my displeasure with the endless 9/11 coverage. This makes me cry. I have my own memories of that time and don't need to hear the navel gazing, what 9/11 has to do with me of semi famous NYers.
I wish you had alternative programming on AM or something. I listen to you all day almost every day and have supported WNYC over the years.
I can't be the only own who gets very sad hearing this!!!!

Sep. 09 2011 01:26 PM
Brooklyn Red

The section on restaurants is omitting reference to Capsouto Freres - which is a shame

Sep. 09 2011 01:24 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

It's nice to hear this kind of solidarity during a time of crisis.

I could never afford to eat at anyone of these restaurants, but if I could I would spend my money at a place that respects their worker's and community in this way!

Sep. 09 2011 01:20 PM