Daniel Libeskind on the World Trade Center Redevelopment

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Architect Daniel Libeskind discusses the master plan for the redevelopment of the World Trade Center Site and his role in it. He’ll also discuss the international architecture practice he’s created since moving to New York after winning the master plan competition a decade ago. Libeskind’s plan reconnects the World Trade Center site to the urban fabric and vibrant street life of Lower Manhattan.

Daniel Libeskind

This fella can talk!

Sep. 01 2011 05:16 PM
anna from new york

Frankly, everything is cheap about his guy, including his constant "Polish antisemitism" but not a single mentioning of exceptionally vile German antisemitism and its culmination in the 20th century

Sep. 01 2011 03:47 PM
anna from new york

OK.
Daniel Liebeskind is an "ashamed Jew" and poorly educated and "cheap" architect. His museum in Berlin represent a distortion of Jewish history. Such a pity that he doesn't know that the years 1933-45 were a continuation of German-Jewish history and not some "Bruch" he and his masters are promoting. Such a pity that nobody told him that WWII was started by the Germans and the Holocaust was executed by the Germans, occasionally with the help of locals.

Sep. 01 2011 03:39 PM
Ericka

Once ground zero is reconstituted and re-inhabited, who besides DuaneReade and Chase bank will be able to afford commercial occupancy? Any efforts to include real people in the mix?

Sep. 01 2011 01:02 PM

jaggarbuttz:

paradigm of an open mind.

Sep. 01 2011 12:53 PM

>I really liked Liebeskind's design, (the original one). The current version is like a bunker, but I don't hate it.

I agree. I voted for Libeskind's original design. I thought it inspiring and exciting and lyrical. I was upset when the winning design was politically hijacked(?) by David Childs and Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, who lost the competition. What went on there? Why is the new tower so symmetrical and conventional, echoing the original banal architecture of the WTC?

Thank you.

Sep. 01 2011 12:48 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

There should only be TWO holocaust museums: Yad Vashem and the one in the Berlin. But I don't like Liebeskind's version. He's too cosmopolitan for my taste. He's the "international cosmopolitan Jew."

Sep. 01 2011 12:43 PM
tony from bayside

Can Mr. Libeskind share any alternate versions of what he thought of for the redesign? Three towers? Other materials...etc.

Thanks Lenny!

Sep. 01 2011 12:37 PM
Laura from UWS

Any thoughts about how the site in Lower Manhattan will likely experience more and more flooding?

Sep. 01 2011 12:34 PM