The Emotional Consequences of 9/11

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Yuval Neria, Professor of Clinical Psychology and Director of Trauma and PTSD Program, Department of Psychiatry at the New York State Psychiatric Institute and Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons, discusses the emotional consequences of 9/11. He is featured in Marianne McCune’s radio documentary, "Living Nine Eleven," which airs September 8, at 8 pm, on WNYC 93.9 FM.

Yuval Neria

Trudy from Brooklyn, NY

i was actually just thinking about JohnHops's question about treatment for abusive violence...i read the same books, and was struck by the authors' revelation that there is no preparation for that kind of traumatic experience and little treatment possibilities...and yet there's a lot of evidence that shows that exposure to torture was far more prevalent than we were aware of...

Sep. 01 2011 12:27 PM
paul feinberg from harlem

because traumatic memory is part of the
physical body, therapies like Rolfing are
very helpful. hoe people experience memory
changes, from a participant to an observer

Sep. 01 2011 12:27 PM
moshe from NYC

1. was there any study of PTSD of those who were liberated from WWII camps (they refused to talk about their experiences)?
is there a difference between long time trauma (camps), medium (war) and short time trauma (bombs, Sept. 11)?

BTW, in israel posters are posted around the neighborhood at at the building of a dead person.

Sep. 01 2011 12:26 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I've read research saying that people who've suffered traumas in their early life are much more susceptible to PTSD than people who haven't. Is that the pattern seen in people's reactions to 9/11?

Sep. 01 2011 12:24 PM
Richard Nelson from NYC

Has your guest studied PTSD in the Muslim population of NYC post 9/11
or Palestinians in Gaza or israel?

Sep. 01 2011 12:24 PM
ptsd diagnosed

No I disagree totally - these others are way ahead of you, unless you are talking about using EMDR -

Yes - Stiff upper lip - but how about Virginia Woolf's story about shell shock

Israel! Every day you have a looming threat!

Sep. 01 2011 12:24 PM
ptsd diagnosed

The back of David Feinstein's book has pictures of his Energy Psychology's impact on the brain (MRIs) - great improvements in very little time.

This is a great segment.

I couldn't wait for psychiatrists, researchers or MRIs to tell me I needed what David et al offer - I'm ready if it works and doesn't involve drugs. They have had good results with vets - videos of this are available.

Sep. 01 2011 12:19 PM
JohnHops from Red Hook, NY

I totally agree w/ HughSansom's comment and applaud it! Could you please address that? It's so important for us to acknowledge the consequences of 9/11 that we are responsible for. Speaking of that... I was wondering if you could have your guest discuss the kind of PTSD that's associated with "abusive violence" or "moral injury," such as prisoner abuse. I read about this in the books "Achilles in Vietnam" and "None of Us Were Like This Before," and was struck by how there is so little viable treatment for this kind of PTSD. What does your guest think? Thanks.

Sep. 01 2011 12:16 PM

Joseph Cavalieri's question is particularly important given than _millions_ of Iraqis must be suffering the effects of the hundreds of thousands of deaths and massive destruction during the Bush-Obama war and hundreds of thousands of deaths (admitted by Madeleine Albright) during the Clinton sanctions. There are also tens of thousands of people in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen and elsewhere directly affected by America's War Forever.

Sep. 01 2011 12:03 PM
Joseph Cavalieri from east village new york

When visiting Sicily one of my grandparents passed. Posters were placed around town to announce the wake, to tell everyone in town about the event and announce the date and location in public.

My question is: Are there other customs from other countries we can learn ways of better dealing with death?

Sep. 01 2011 11:57 AM
ptsd diagnosed

I had this diagnosis in the '90s from a forensic psychiatrist and I have searched high and low for relief and I have to tell you I believe it comes from a body-based place - talking about my "events" only served to re-traumatize me. But I have found some great things to check out: David Feinstein wrote a book called "The Promise of Energy Psychology" that clearly explains this acupressure-based technique - and there's a website called TATlife.com - Tapas Fleming has an amazing version of energy psychology called TAT (Tapas Acupressure technique) that is both yoga and acupressure-based. They are drug free methods, easily learned, accessible with or without professional assistance (you can follow up on your own) - and really can seem miraculous.

Sep. 01 2011 11:53 AM