Reporting the News on 9/11

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mark Hilan, former host of WNYC's Morning Edition, and  Larry Ingrassia, formerly of the Wall Street Journal and currently Business Editor at the New York Times, discuss having to make sense of the events on 9/11 both personally, and professionally, on the fly. Larry Ingrassia was part of the team that set up a newsroom within a few hours after the attacks and helped put together the Pulitzer Prize-winning edition of the Wall Street Journal. Mark Hilan helped keep WNYC on the air and brought people news of the events that morning.

Mark Hilan and Larry Ingrassia

frank from Long Island NY

Stop with the incessant navel gazing: The only things to hear about the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States is; the number of terrorists / terrorist supporters that have been killed, captured, imprisoned &/or executed and remembrance of those who fought back, went to the rescue & all who were killed in the attack that day.

Post attack analysis should focus on how Bush / Cheney:

1) let bin laden relatives leave the US on a charted plane.
2) let bin laden escape at Tora Bora by relying on our ally (?) the Packston army.
3) did not finish the job.
4) lied to us & fooled the media to justify attacking Iraqi (possibly to hid their incompetence in destroying bin laden.)

Aug. 31 2011 12:39 PM
Mary from NYC

It's only August 30th. Will we have to relive 9/11 for the next 2 weeks?? This is really painful to listen to again.

We were all affected by 9/11. How about stories that focus on positive changes brought about by that day?

Aug. 31 2011 12:38 PM

9/11 has also become about 10 years of what will be loudly passed over in silence of the next two weeks. Glenn Greenwald discusses what Obama and people like Mr. Lopate's guests today pointedly ignore. This includes 100,000 Iraqis who had nothing whatsoever to do with 9/11 but were killed by Bush and Obama.

To pretend that this is not relevant — especially as Obama tries to emphasize the international character of 9/11 — is deeply insulting at best. At worst, it amounts to a tacit endorsement of war crimes.

Before the right-wing, anonymous lurkers start screaming at me on this site, I witnessed the attacks. I was listening to Hilan before I went out around 8-something to get morning stuff done in the west Village. The wife of a friend of mine was killed. So resist the urge to lecture me.

I find it utterly revolting that consideration of the attacks and the 10 years since is supposed to proceed with no mention at all of _American_ crimes since then.

Aug. 31 2011 12:35 PM
Catherine from Bronx,NY

It is great to hear mark hillan again - we miss you! Come back to WNYC.

Aug. 31 2011 12:27 PM
Stephen from Inwood

Perhaps not fully germane but I remember the news on this day beginning on CNN with the reports of planes being hijacked from Boston and on-going commentary about where they might be going. I watched a map on TV showing the progress of the plane(s) - the symbols followed the highway (95) south - I remember thinking the hijackers must be flying by visual navigation......

Aug. 31 2011 12:27 PM
Fuva from Harlemworld

Tuned into Leonard while that 9/11 news broadcast clip was playing, and my heart jumped in my throat right quick...

Aug. 31 2011 12:26 PM
Adrienne from Manhattan

I wish you had alternative programming right now. It's very upsetting to listen to this and relive events on 9/11.

Aug. 31 2011 12:23 PM
tom barlow from astoria

Thanks to you guys, from whom I first heard of a plane hitting the tower. I went up on my roof and watched from Astoria. I was working on a painting on site at Wall street, so I took up my supplies and walked to G. Zero -- I was there for nearly three weeks. volunteers and sketching when I could. SOmeday, hopefully, signifcant artwork will result.

Aug. 31 2011 12:21 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

I too was on my way back from voting in the primary that I learned of the attack. Has anyone checked how many people who THANKFULLY came late to work there did so thanks to the primary that morning?

Aug. 31 2011 12:11 PM