Summer Stuff: Gardening with Gerard Lordahl

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Gerard Lordahl, open space greening director of GrowNYC, tells us how to care for our plants—indoor and outdoor—for our final Summer Stuff segment.

Do you have a question about how to keep your garden growing? Call us at 646-829-3985 or leave a comment below.

Gerard Lordahl

da Bronx from Woodlawn, Bronx, NY

I have cudgue(that awful vine that clings to everything) growing from the yard next door - how to kill it? Thanks

Aug. 30 2011 12:36 PM
Amy from Manhattan

On mushrooms, I went on a wild food walk years ago w/Steve Brill, & he told us about ways to identify wild mushrooms, incl. spore prints. Can an amateur learn enough to safely distinguish edible from poisonous wild mushrooms? How can we know if someone conducting walks like these is knowledgeable enough?

Aug. 30 2011 12:35 PM
angela from flushing, ny

my peonies are getting covered with grayish powder like substance, and then leaves develop blackish patches what to do?
thanks

Aug. 30 2011 12:35 PM
Patricia from CLiffside Park, NJ

I have a small outdoor perennial garden, I have grass and weeds growing more this year than any other. I was listening and hear that it is because the summer has been so wet. What can I do so this grass and weeds don't winter over and grow back next summer?
Thanks
Patricia

Aug. 30 2011 12:31 PM
Jon from Manhattan

Squirrels a "... tourist attraction."?!! Oy! And I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I want to sell you.

Aug. 30 2011 12:31 PM
david camacho from Brooklyn

hi Gerard hi Lenard I have a problem in my back yard with Raccoons

I know I cannot kill it what its your advice in this matter?

Aug. 30 2011 12:30 PM
Lee Bartell from New York City

Tansy repels ants. Plant it all around a house and ants will not cross it.

Aug. 30 2011 12:30 PM
Rachel

Hi,
I live in Brooklyn in a brownstone -- its about 30 feet high. Our next door neighbor has a tree in the backyard, about 40 feet high.

The tree's root came up about 4 inches in the other neighbors yard.

If the tree is to fall, it will fall on our house. Our neighbor has talked about saving the tree. Is it feasible?

Thanks,
Rachel

Aug. 30 2011 12:29 PM
Marie from NJ

Okay, so you can't kill squirrels for eating your vegetables, but what about chipmunks? They are even more devious than squirrels and fit through the most ingenious of defenses....

Aug. 30 2011 12:27 PM
Amelia from New York, NY

Is the rice paddy on Randall's Island open to the public? Where is it? What are the hours? How did you decide to grow rice since its not a common crop here in the Northeast?

Aug. 30 2011 12:25 PM
Ben from london UK

I left some lentils in water and they began to sprout, they were delicious,,now I am wanting to begin to take sprouting seriously,,,do you have any tips?

Aug. 30 2011 12:23 PM
Richard from Great Neck

Blasts of water work best, but how can I treat Spider mites organicly, if blasting with water not possible? thanks

Aug. 30 2011 12:23 PM
Elisabeth from Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn

I developed a significant sink hole in my Brooklyn yard. It is not related to construction and is in a space that has had shrubs for 17 years or longer. It is about 4' deep and 4' around. It may be related to the run off from neighbors roofs. The neighbors' gutters are not tied into the sewers and they are about 3' higher than my yard.

Aug. 30 2011 12:15 PM
Edward from NJ

I purchased a Rhododenron at a nursery earlier this summer. After a heat wave in July, many of the leaves started turning brown from the tips. It doesn't seem to be spreading to other leaves. Should I remove the partially brown leaves or wait for them to dry out entirely and fall off naturally?

Aug. 30 2011 12:11 PM
Victoria from Manhattan

I am a beginner (container) gardener who plans to move to a more rural area soon. What books can your guest suggest to learn about vegetable gardening. (I just finished Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon and loved it!)

Aug. 30 2011 12:11 PM
Halley from Boston, MA

My peace lilies are not doing well this year, I think it's from all the rain! They have started to grow yellow mushrooms, lots of them! Even after repotting in fresh soil, the mushrooms grow back. What can I do to save them from the fungus?

Aug. 30 2011 12:10 PM