Decade 9/11: Tom Kean Live from Montclair State

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Former Governor and head of the 9-11 Commission, Tom Kean joins Brian to talk politics and re-examine the work of the 9-11 Commission.

Thomas Kean

christine giglio from Manchester, NJ

Re: 9/11
My son was 10 years old at the time and in school when the planes hit. It didn't seem to scare him that much. He took it all in and I thought he was fine, until the first planes started flying again. He almost ran and hid the first time he saw a plane in the sky again. I did my best to explain that it was a few crazy people that did this and not an entire religion or culture. The following August we were flying to New Orleans (our first flight since 9/11) , when we got to the airport my son turned to me and said if one Arab gets on the plane he won't go. I didn't know what to do. Luckily there weren't any people in arab garb, I don't know how he would have really reacted if there was. Since then he has come to understand that there are crazies in many religions and that all Muslims aren't terrorists.

Aug. 30 2011 11:34 AM
Jim

@Susan

A logical conclusion being that fixation on monetary rewards is the the least valuable pursuit for a healthy. The problem is not that teachers are underpaid, but that "entertainers" and "executives" are so grossly overpaid. This, however, is a reflection of what the masses really value. Clearly, any Yankee infielder or Jersey Shore cast member is worth more to us than an entire school of teachers.

Aug. 30 2011 11:08 AM
Susan

What kinda BS is that? Yes, teachers don't go into it for the money.. therefore we don't need to pay them much??? And after he just said its the most important thing in a healthy society?

Aug. 30 2011 10:46 AM
Andy from Manhattan

re: 9/11
The governor waxes poetic about the 9/11 survivor families and 9/11/2001. This was "our tragedy"; I get that. But roughly several hundred million people have died since then of various causes. Is it perhaps time to stop fetishizing 9/11?

Aug. 30 2011 10:30 AM
David Wilson from cliffside park, new jersey

Gov. Kean is a moderate Republican, an endangered species. Does the gov. have any advice on how to break up the political gridlock that is stifling us? National security is important, but dealing with the economic and job crisis is just as important. National level and in NJ.

Aug. 30 2011 10:28 AM
RL

"Failure of Imagination" -- there's not a stronger case for arts in our schools than this!!! So that in the future we have better agents and analyists.

Aug. 30 2011 10:22 AM
Stephen from Inwood

I can't wait to hear Gov Kean but was shocked to hear Brian say "case closed" after polling the live audience on whether they felt the Irene situation had been overblown, Clearly a good number of people responded they felt it was - tho none cheered and whistled, while the majority clapped and made loud noises.
This is no less than an ugly, knee-jerk authoritarian response from Brian, in my opinion. I happen to agree with the minority and now my case is closed? Keep an open mind there, buddy.

Aug. 30 2011 10:21 AM
Chris from Brooklyn

If we want to undermine radicalism and protect ourselves, we really need to make sure people are enfranchised. People with hope, opportunity, a stake in their community, and a voice in their affairs are, with the exception of mental illness, almost entirely unlikely to wish destruction on said community. Make sure we have jobs, education, decent housing, and responsive government representatives, and domestic threats will be insignificant.

As for international threats, we need to cut the imperialism. Notice how we don't care much what other countries' citizens are up to unless they're harming our lives here? They wouldn't either. Reign in the businesses abusing foreign nationals for the sake of the bottom line, and the tacit or overt government support for such actions, and we will be safe.

Aug. 30 2011 10:21 AM
ELIZABETH CRONK from Secaucus

Best thing a bout Secaucus is the air
Worst thing is the air
Just depends on the winds....

Aug. 30 2011 10:19 AM