September’s Book: Midnight’s Children, by Salman Rushdie

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Salman Rushdie joins us for the Leonard Lopate Show Book Club! We’re talking about his 1981 novel, Midnight’s Children. It tells the story of Saleem Sinai, born at the stroke of midnight on August 15, 1947 – the moment that India became an independent nation. His health and well being are tightly tied to his country's, and he is magically, telepathically linked to the 1,000 other children born during India's first hour of life. Salman Rushdie will answer your questions about his magical realist book, which was awarded the 1981 Booker Prize and the James Tait Prize, and it was voted the "Best of the Booker" in 1993 and in 2008.

His most recent novel, Luka and the Fire of Life has just been released in paperback.

Salman Rushdie

Tony from Manhattan UWS

I am a latecomer to this book and about 2/3 through the audio version (the narrator is wonderful). This is a fascinating novel, with motley of very unusual characters and relationships and twists. There is so much to say about this imaginative and absorbing book. The main character drifts back and forth between his external world and what at times seems like a delusional internal life where he wields omnipotence and omniscience among the Midnight's children in contrast to a pathetic external world. I will savor the last 1/3 of the book. I am delighted with this recommendation. At times it is laugh out loud funny.

Oct. 09 2011 08:07 AM

the family business bank accounts are cruelly frozen, and mother goes out to make good money at the track. Why take this fluffy path? Why not consider the hard choices and suffering such conditions can bring?

Sep. 27 2011 12:57 PM
Maria from Manhattan

I loved his "Fury" and thought he really got his realtively (then) newly adopted home.....but sadly not many critics shared my love for the book,,,,,,

Now that Rushdie has been here so much longer, would he have done anything differently in Fury, and does he plan any other NYC-based books?

Sep. 27 2011 12:50 PM
Roberta

Is English your birth language/mother tongue? If not, how different would Midnight's Children have been had it been written in your birth language (apart from possibly having a smaller audience of readers)?

Sep. 27 2011 12:49 PM
Suzanne from Plainfield, NJ

I just read this brilliant book this summer, and it struck me how much it influenced writers like Arundhati Roy and other S. Asian writers. How do you feel about this influence and who are some of your favorites?

Sep. 27 2011 12:35 PM
tom from astoria

After this many years since Midnight's Children's publication, How would Mr. Rushdie chlearacterise his writing style. Compared to a writer like Faulkner, or Camus, how much is description and detail versus the poetic sound of the language.

Sep. 27 2011 12:31 PM
Karen from Long Branch, NJ

I've run out of time to finish the story -- but I will after the show. The book is truly one long magic spell that hits all of this reader's senses. Thanks for the invitation to read!

Sep. 27 2011 12:18 PM
Monica Eppinger from Elizabeth, NJ

Any objections to our listening to your show with Salman Rushdie in the library and open the computer lab we will use for the public?

Sep. 25 2011 09:00 PM
Linda Healey from New York

Midnight's Children has been on my must read
list for too long a time. Great to have the
impetus (and deadline!) of your Sept 27th
discussion. Are you open to suggestions for future
book club selections?

Sep. 15 2011 01:02 PM
Ro from Freehold NJ

I am looking forward to reading the book and am going to send copies to my 2 kids in California. Can't wait.

Sep. 15 2011 08:20 AM
David Tussey from New York City

This has been on my reading list for a long time. Looking forward to dinning into it.

What are the discussions like?

Sep. 12 2011 12:03 AM
Barbara from NYC

This was a most compelling book. I read it about 5 years ago and still remember "memory's truth," how it distills, alters. eliminates...how a human only trusts their own version of the truth.

Sep. 09 2011 07:24 PM
Cathy McC from LonGisland from West Islip, NY

I have a trip coming up, and will try to plow through on the plane. Hope I can make it in time. Is the discussion on-air during the regular show?

The Lopate Show responds:

Yes, Cathy, the discussion will be during the live show. If you have a question for Mr. Rushdie, you can either call in live or leave a comment here ahead of time and we'll try to include in the discussion!

Sep. 08 2011 09:36 PM
Kate Schmaltz from Greenwich, CT

Few talk shows reach the level of LL's -sophistication, scintillating subjects and wit.
Will enjoy the book ride.

Sep. 08 2011 09:32 PM
Jim Gallagher from Pompton Plains, NJ

Great idea - I'll be ourt of town for this one, but look forward to October.

The Lopate Show responds:

Jim, we hope that even if you can't tune in live on the 27th, that you leave a question or comment here in the comments section. We'll be sharing them with Salman Rushdie on the air.

Sep. 06 2011 11:23 PM
Helen Horowitz

it's a great choice...but I just learned about your book club and three weeks isn't a lot of time to read

Sep. 06 2011 03:10 PM
lea from Sag Harbor L.I.

I love the LL show, glad to participate in the book show, and will reread the book!

Sep. 06 2011 02:33 PM
Ceridwynne from New York, NY

I am in the middle of a book that I cannot put down, but I look forward to reading with you guys next month. Do you know if any of the participants actually meet?

Sep. 06 2011 01:42 PM
Susan Feingold from Hawthorne NJ

Already read it. Important book. Will reread. Love to join the conversation. What time is the discussion on??

Sep. 06 2011 11:57 AM
nancy e. heller from nyc

Sounds like an interesting book.

Sep. 06 2011 11:25 AM
Martha from La Luz NM

Thrilled to participate in shared reading. Just a note -- October is National Reading Group Month. Really!

Aug. 31 2011 11:01 PM