Open Phones: Do Emergencies Make You a New Yorker?

Monday, August 29, 2011

New York Times Metro reporter James Barron takes your calls on how living in New York City through an emergency - whether it’s a blackout or a hurricane - makes you a New Yorker.

James Barron

jgarbuz from Queens

I think anyone who didn't live in this city before 1992 has no clue what they are talking about.

If you didn't live in the inner city areas from the mid1950s to the mid-1990s, you missed lots of good stuff. You missed riots, seeing entire areas like Brownsille reduced to rubble, getting mugged and seeing crack houses and criminal elements all over the place.

If you got here after 1992, you are not a New Yorker. You are just a tourist that stayed and has no clue.

Aug. 29 2011 12:02 PM
Andrea from Philadelphia (but a native New Yorker)

During the last big subway strike, I was home in NYC for the holidays (it was in December). When I returned to the small town in western Pennsylvania where I was living at the time and described walking for miles in the freezing cold, etc. my friends said things like, "Oh, how awful." I remember replying, "Not really. We New Yorkers love our adversity." We take pride in our toughness, our ingenuity, and have a bit of an us-against-the world attitude.

Aug. 29 2011 12:00 PM
RJ from prospect hts

Now let's take away the pensions of those very same sanitation workers.

And I did try to right one of those garbage pails and it's heavy as hell--couldn't do it.

My cynical response is also, No and then we hear about how places in Mississippi are out of power for a week--and we freak at too much rain for a day and a half. Not to minimize the losses and people's troubles, but the overall freakout seems disproportionate--the emptying of the stores, etc.

Aug. 29 2011 12:00 PM

I survived Hurriquakeageddon® NYC!

Get your T-Shirts now!!

Aug. 29 2011 11:56 AM
salvatore principato from manhattan

the reason the crime rate was down was not because predatory criminals weren't out & about it was more that the NYPD weren't entrapping suburban kids buying joints, they weren't stopping & frisking specific demographics, they weren't sending secret police aka undercover cops into small businesses aka clubs & bars looking for trouble. I bet not even half of those 345 people arrested on any given weekend are predatory criminals but merely people out looking to blow off some steam after a hard week's work

Aug. 29 2011 11:55 AM
Steven from Downtown Brooklyn

I'm not so certain it brings us together. The 1977 blackout tore the city apart. Fools who say they'll tough it out are not unique to NYC. I'm sure there were plenty of people in New Jersey, Connecticut and the suburbs did the same thing.

Aug. 29 2011 11:54 AM
Bryan from South Williamsburg (surprised?)

A suggestion for next time: set up a hotline for reporting buildings with crap on the roof and get out the message that they will be fined severely. My neighbors across the street left objects all over their roof and didn't respond to my requests to have them removed.

Aug. 29 2011 10:49 AM
Ed from Long Island City

I think Irene raised some questions that need to be addressed, liked how can NYC be evacuated without advanced notice, like we had with Irene, ex Brooklyn has sections densly populated but alot of it's arear is below the water line.

Aug. 29 2011 10:39 AM