SATURDAY, 11:09 am: Tree Watch: Are You Keeping an Eye Out?

Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 11:09 AM

I'm prepared for the storm, but I'm not sure I can do anything to help this giant old oak.

The tree took a beating during last year's tornado.  As almost every other fell around it, this tree managed to stay standing — stripped of its leaves and a few branches, wounded but not defeated.  And it made a remarkable recovery: we spotted little green acorns just this week.

It has faithfully protected us from the din of Flatbush Avenue. But tomorrow, it could be a serious liability.  Hope not.

Is there a tree you're keeping an eye on? Let us know in the comments below:

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

About 90 mins. ago, I took the dog outside and there are at least three fallen trees on Prospect Park Southwest near Vanderbilt St (near the playground) and also further down by Reeve Pl.

Aug. 28 2011 09:42 AM
Johnny

The winds will work their way through anyway...

Aug. 27 2011 06:19 PM
Claudia from Central Park and East 85th Street, 10028

I live close to Central Park, and I'm worried for all of the trees there. It feels like just yesterday that we had that crazy summer mini-tornado that swept through the northern part of the park and left a path of destruction. Actually it was 2009.

The trees took a lot of snow this year too.

Now, with the wet ground from the recent rainfalls, I hope our big trees will withstand any high winds.

I'm also worried for our little tree in front of my building. It's only a few years old.

Aug. 27 2011 12:40 PM
Ashley from Park Slope

Here in the Slope, we have many, many old trees that were hit quite hard during the tornado last September. As a measure of precaution, we moved our car to a parking space where no trees hung overhead.

I would hate to loose any neighborhood trees this weekend. They are part of the history and character of our neighborhood!

Aug. 27 2011 12:38 PM
Matt from Brooklyn

Both my wife and I are out of harm's way, but I am worried about the giant plane tree outside our apartment. Its leaves keep us cool in the summer, and its multi-cololred bark and long large branches are the main focus of our living-room view in winter. But it has a tendency to lose branches even in run-of-the-mill thunder storms.

Aug. 27 2011 12:19 PM
tiarella from englewood, nj

My beautiful very, very old native dogwood. It's right next to the house and the focal point of my patio garden. I spray it, water it and have cabled some potentially weak branches. I would hate to lose it.

Aug. 27 2011 12:18 PM